About the Position
The City of Milpitas Recreation Services seeks enthusiastic individuals for part time Recreation Attendant for Recreation Programs at all Recreation Facilities. Must be able to work flexible hours between 5:30am-9:15pm Sunday-Saturday; 20 - 25 hours/week and limited to 999 hours in a fiscal year (July 1-June 30). Will be required to work nights, weekends, and holidays. Actual work schedule to be determined through agreement with supervisor.
Examples of Duties - duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
Under direct supervision of Recreation Staff, Building Attendant / Recreation Attendants will provide: facility-related services for the City of Milpitas Sports Center, Community Center and Senior Center during business hours, or non-business hours in conjunction with recreation programs, classes, and special events; scheduling and supervising the use of facilities at various sites throughout the City; and related work as required. The individual must be able to represent the City of Milpitas Recreation Services in a professional manner and follow the City's and Recreation Services' polices and regulations.
Essential Job Functions
(May include, but are not limited to the following):
- Confirms rentals / reservations and checks facility use schedules.
- Provides appropriate room setup and take down for classes, meetings, parties and special events.
- Ensure rooms are free of safety hazards
- Performs light cleaning and public restroom upkeep, removes trash, moves furniture and equipment and picks up supplies for programs, classes and meetings.
- Performs light corrective and preventive maintenance duties and reports maintenance issues requiring specialized staff.
- Monitors facility user groups by enforcing rules and regulation and securing and/or reporting damage or unsafe conditions.
- Serves as primary contact for evening and weekend events, responding to customer questions and ensuring policies and procedures are followed.
- Helps maintain the swimming pools, pool deck and pump room areas.
- Performs daily / weekly maintenance tasks of the fitness center, dance studios and swimming pools.
Position requires: prolonged sitting; standing; walking on level, uneven and slippery surfaces; reaching; twisting; turning; kneeling; bending; squatting and stooping in performance of daily activities. The position also requires grasping, repetitive hand movements and fine coordination using a computer keyboard and certain tools. The position also requires near and far vision when performing tasks such as inspections and repair work, in reading written work related documents and using a computer. Acute hearing is required when providing phone and personal customer service. The need to lift, drag, carry and push equipment, tools and supplies up to 100 pounds is also required. Some of these requirements may be accommodated for otherwise qualified individuals requiring and requesting such accommodations.
- Minimum age at time of hire is 18 years old.
- Graduation from High School or tested equivalent.
- Must have one year experience performing facility-related and customer service.
- Previous experience directing the work of others.
- Previous experience performing housekeeping services in a public building.
Work irregular hours, evenings and weekends as required.
Knowledge and Abilities
The candidate would have knowledge of:
- Principles and practices for providing customer services. Safe work practices when working housekeeping chemicals and housekeeping assignments.
- Basic office procedures.
- Ability to operate a computer and various programs.
And ability to:
- Learn to follow directions, manuals and diagrams.
- Perform basic math.
- Understand and follow written and oral instructions.
- Follow safety and health regulations.
- Learn the operation of the assigned policies and procedures of the Recreation Department.
- Establish, maintain and promote positive and effective working relationships with employees, other agencies and the public.
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Demonstrate initiative and exercise good judgment in the performance of duties.
- Work independently and as a team member; recognize and set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Observe safety principles and work in a safe manner.
- Ability to communicate tactfully with members of the public when performing housekeeping duties.
- Ability to work safely with cleaning chemicals and cleaning tools in a fully occupied building.
- Advanced customer service principles and practices.
- Basic report preparation.
- Basic personnel practices.
- Independently determine maximum room occupancy when setting up seating for public meetings, recreation activities or classroom instructions.
- Independently arrange furniture or equipment in a certain order or pattern according to a specific rule or set of rules (e.g. pictures, drawings, diagrams).
Certifications- First Aid / CPR / AED Certification (or ability to obtain with in 60 days of hire).
Upon selection, additional requirements include:
- Valid Social Security card.
- Fingerprint clearance (Department of Justice background check).
Only online applications via CalOpps will be accepted. Visit the City of Milpitas website at www.ci.milpitas.ca.gov or www.CalOpps.org to apply. Copies of required certificates (if applicable), must be scanned into one document, along with a resume, and attached to your application.
Please submit a completed application and resume (front and back copies of all certification cards). The City reserves the right to close or re-open the recruitment at any time. Incomplete and/or inaccurate application materials may result in disqualification from the examination process. Only those candidates most qualified will be invited to an interview. Verification of other required documentation may be required at a later date.
The City of Milpitas is an Equal Opportunity/ADA employer. Reasonable accommodation in the application, examination and selection process will be made upon request. The information contained in this announcement does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract and these provisions are subject to change.