Located at the southern tip of the San Francisco Bay, the City of Milpitas is a dynamic community that is an integral part of the high tech Silicon Valley. With a much diversified resident population of 72,606, Milpitas features quality schools, conveniently located neighborhood parks and shopping centers. The role of every employee is to be committed to accomplishing the community’s vision by providing fiscally sound, superior services.
You will be joining a community of 328 professional employees as diverse as the city they support. We are privileged to have such a unique workforce and to foster an environment that encourages those differences. We believe in supporting our employees’ abilities and desires for professional growth, to better support retention and commitment throughout all career stages. Milpitas employees are proud and know that their contributions make a difference to the community as well as to their own career. We encourage you to check us out: http://www.ci.milpitas.ca.gov/
This is the advanced journey level class in the professional engineering series. Positions in this class possess the applicable educational and training background required for the professional engineering series, including appropriate certificates and licenses in the field, as well as practical work experience.
The Associate Civil Engineer class is distinguished from the Assistant Engineer by the responsibility assumed for supervising and overseeing subordinate professional and para-professional engineers of a major engineering unit within the engineering department. Incumbents typically perform the more complex duties and tasks assigned to positions within the assigned unit.
What You Will Do
Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
· Review development project applications for accuracy, suitability, completeness, and compliance with local, state and federal regulations and requirements; provide written comments and project conditions.
· Review environmental document, with proposed mitigation measures and make recommendations relative to their adequacy.
· Review development improvement plans and cost estimates for compliance with City design criteria, standard details and specifications and other applicable requirements.
· Review encroachment permits, subdivision maps, legal descriptions, and street and/or easement dedications; prepare report to the City Council for the approval of subdivision maps, agreements and street/easement vacations.
· Compute appropriate fees; evaluate and analyze fee structures and make recommendations for change as appropriate.
· Supervise and participate in the operation of a work unit within the engineering department.
· Perform professional and technical engineering tasks relative to assigned area of responsibility.
· Research project design requirements; perform calculations and prepare estimates of time and material costs.
· Establish appropriate fee rates to cover expenses and costs.
· Confer with contractors, consulting engineers, subdividers, construction inspectors, and members of the public relative to assigned area of responsibility.
· Coordinate projects with other City departments, public agencies, and utility companies for orderly planning, scheduling, and construction.
· Represent the City and serve as staff on various boards, commissions and committees relative to assigned area of responsibility.
· Administer contracts with outside consultants as appropriate; review work and tasks performed; recommend and monitor billings.
· Supervise, train and evaluate assigned staff.
Experience and Education
A Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited college or university in civil engineering AND Three years of increasingly responsible and varied professional civil engineering experience including supervisory experience.
License and Other Requirements
Possess and maintain throughout employment an appropriate, valid California Driver’s License.
Registration as a Professional Civil Engineer in the State of California.
Essential duties require the following physical abilities and work environment:
Work is performed primarily in an office environment and at construction sites; extensive use of the telephone, radios, and computers with repetitive keyboarding; ability to walk on uneven ground; and drive to various locations daily. Ability to work safely in a hard-hat construction zone is essential.
Applicants whose qualifications best meet our current needs will be invited to participate in the selection process that may consist of an assessment of the candidate’s written skills, computer skills, and an oral board interview. Meeting the minimum requirements listed in this job description does not guarantee advancement in subsequent phases of the selection process.
Submit application, supplemental questions (if applicable), resume, copies of required certificates (if applicable) online at www.calopps.org or to the Human Resources Department, City of Milpitas, 455 E. Calaveras Blvd, Milpitas, CA 95035, (408) 586-3090.
A complete job description is available on the City of Milpitas website:
www.ci.milpitas.ca.gov (under Classification and Compensation) or from Human Resources.
The City reserves the right to close or re-open the recruitment at any time. Incomplete and/or inaccurate application materials may result in disqualification from the recruitment process.
Candidates will receive all communications by email regarding the recruitment process, which includes, but is not limited to, application status, testing dates, and interview scheduling. If you require alternate communications, please contact Human Resources at (408) 586-3090.
The City provides an excellent array of benefits that includes the following. This position is represented by the Protech bargaining group. Benefits Information is available online at:
The City of Milpitas is an Equal Opportunity/ADA employer. Reasonable accommodation in the application, examination, and selection process will be made upon request to Human Resources at (408) 586-3090.
The information contained in this announcement does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract and these provisions are subject to change.