The City of Milpitas is seeking a temporary contracted Building Inspector for a minimum of 1 year to inspect routine and complex building systems to assure compliance.
The Temporary Building Inspector is responsible for inspecting routine and complex structural building systems at various stages of construction, alteration, and repair to assure compliance with approved plans, specifications, codes, and ordinances and regulations; and assisting in the review of building plans and specifications to determine compliance with applicable codes, ordinances, rules and regulations.
Supervision Received and Exercised - The Temporary Building Inspector receives general supervision from the Senior Building Inspector and/or the Senior Housing & Neighborhood Preservation Specialist. This position may exercise technical or functional supervision over new building inspection staff.
Examples of Duties - duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Complete and maintain a variety of records on a computer, prepare reports, documentation, and correspondence.
· Conduct inspections to determine compliance with California Building, Mechanical, Plumbing, Electrical, Energy and Green Building Codes pertinent provisions of County health and environmental ordinances.
· Create and revise housing rehabilitation project work estimates; participate in contractor’s bid process and bid review.
· Oversee and monitor rehabilitation projects to ensure that work is properly performed and to ensure that no substandard materials are used in accordance with HUD requirements.
· Confer with developers, contractors, architects, engineers, and the general public.
· Inspect foundation, cement, framing, plastering, and a large variety of other complex and routine structural building system elements such as stell, concrete, masonary, wood and other structural member factors.
· Examine grade, quality, and treatment of lumber, cement, lath, wire, and composition.
· Inspect air conditioning, plumbing, and routine electrical systems.
· Assure proper and safe installations of routine electrical systems.
· Perform field review of plans and specifications.
· Apply proper inspection techniques to examine the quality of work and materials and detect deviations from plans, regulations, and standard construction practices.
Knowledge and Abilities
The candidate would have knowledge of:
· Building related codes and ordinances enforceable by the City, specifically the California
· Building Mechanical, Plumbing, Electrical, Energy, Green Building Code and Milpitas Municipal Code.
· Principles and techniques of building inspection work.
· Construction contracts and requirements.
· HUD regulations related to housing rehabilitation.
· Lead-based paint.
· A variety of zoning, general land use, and related City codes.
· Building and related codes including zoning ordinances and other City codes and regulations.
· Accepted safety standards and methods of building construction.
And ability to:
· Advise on standards of construction methods and requirements.
· Prepare and revise project cost estimates and reports.
· Make arithmetical computations rapidly and accurately.
· Establish and maintain effective working relationships with homeowners, developers, contractors, architects, engineers, City staff and the general public.
· Apply City codes and policies regarding zoning and other regulations to field situations.
· Work independently without supervision.
· Enforce necessary regulations with firmness and tact.
· Use Windows, Excel, and Word computer programs.
· Keep abreast of current construction standards, codes, and regulations.
Experience: Five (5) years of responsible experience in the journey level trades or as a contractor in a variety of building construction activities, including three years minimum experience as a building inspector.
Education: Equivalent to completion of twelfth grade.
License and Certificates:
- Possession of or ability to obtain and maintain, an appropriate, valid California Driver’s License.
- Certification as a Building, Mechanical, Plumbing and Electrical Inspector by the ICC. Additional ICC Certifications are highly desirable.
Essential duties require the following physical abilities and work environment:
Typically, work is performed at construction sites and in an office environment; exposure to outdoor elements; extensive use of the telephone and radio; repetitive keyboarding on a computer; ability to walk on uneven ground; reach (including overhead); squat, bend, lift, crawl, and climb; push, pull and carry up to 50 pounds; drive daily to various locations within and outside the City of Milpitas; ability to work safely in a hard-hat construction zone is essential; exposure to construction-related chemicals and products; may be required to crawl in confined spaces.
Applicants whose qualifications best meet our current needs will be invited to participate in the selection process that may consist of an assessment of the candidate’s written skills, computer skills, and an oral board interview. Candidates who successfully pass the selection process will be placed on an eligibility list. All candidates will be advised of their status once a finalist has been selected.
Only online applications via CalOpps will be accepted. Visit the City of Milpitas website at www.ci.milpitas.ca.gov or www.calopps.org to apply. Copies of required certificates (if applicable), must be scanned into one document, along with a resume, and attached to your application by the filing date.
A complete job description is available on the City of Milpitas website: www.ci.milpitas.ca.gov (under Employment, Job Specs) or from Human Resources - (408) 586-3090.
The City reserves the right to close or re-open the recruitment at any time. Incomplete and/or inaccurate application materials may result in disqualification from the recruitment process.
This is a temporary, benefited position. For further information about benefits please visit http://www.ci.milpitas.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Temporary-Employee-Benefits-at-a-Glance.pdf or call our Human Resources Office at (408)586-3090.
The City of Milpitas is an Equal Opportunity/ADA employer. Reasonable accommodation in the application, examination, and selection process will be made upon request to Human Resources at (408) 586-3090.
The information contained in this announcement does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract and these provisions are subject to change.