The Town of Moraga is a small general law city of about 16,000 residents in Contra Costa County. Home to Saint Mary’s College, the Town values its open space, quality residential neighborhoods, semi-rural character and excellent public schools. With a Council-Manager form of government, the Town has a small but dynamic staff that works closely across all departments to provide high quality services to its residents and businesses.
The Town seeks to hire a Maintenance Worker to join a productive team consisting of the Public Works/Parks Maintenance Manager, Lead Maintenance Worker, Senior Maintenance Worker, and another Maintenance Worker. The team provides day-to-day maintenance services for the Town’s streets, sidewalks, storm drains, parks, open space, and facilities.
The Maintenance Worker receives supervision and direction from the Lead Maintenance Worker or Public Works/Parks Maintenance Manager, and will supervise the work of temporary employees and court assigned workers. The position performs a variety of unskilled, semi-skilled and skilled labor in construction and maintenance tasks such as park maintenance, landscape maintenance, creek and catch basin maintenance, street road maintenance, restroom maintenance, and facility maintenance.
Regular work hours are expected to be 7:00 AM to 3:30 PM five consecutive days, including one weekend day. On-call work is required.
EXAMPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
Perform a variety of skilled, semi-skilled, and unskilled maintenance and construction duties related to parks, buildings, streets and storm drainage.
Operate maintenance and construction equipment and power tools such as a concreate grinder, cutting torch, lawn mowers, chain saws, jack hammer, Bobcat, forklift, skill saw, table saw, and other related equipment and tools; maintain and perform preventative maintenance on assigned tools and equipment and related records.
Respond to emergencies as needed.
Utilize and adhere to proper safety precautions in all work performed.
Maintain traffic control by use of signs, barricades, and safety cones.
Maintain basic records of daily work performed.
Supervises the work of temporary employees and court workers as assigned.
Perform related duties as assigned.
Parks Maintenance (in addition to the general duties):
Provide manual labor as directed, including digging holes, removing trees, raking, removing trash/litter/debris/graffiti, and planting trees and shrubs.
Perform carpentry work to replace or repair wooden fences, picnic tables, benches, signs, and other park facilities.
Plant, prune, and maintain plants and trees.
Assist in the repair and maintenance of irrigation facilities including controllers, drip systems, pipes, and sprinkler heads.
Operate and maintain tractor, mower, aerator, and fertilizer spreader.
Spray appropriate herbicides in all park and related areas.
Streets/Storm Drainage Maintenance (in addition to the general duties):
Perform manual labor as directed, including digging, shoveling, brooming, removing broken concrete, asphalt, and other materials; clean storm drains and creeks.
Prepare, install, and repair City signposts.
Mix, rake, and compact asphalt.
- Perform storm drain maintenance using appropriate equipment.
- Possess knowledge and understanding of safe work practices
- Ability to follow direction
- Ability to perform basic maintenance and custodial functions
- Ability to perform physical labor and to lift at least 50 pounds
- Reliability, dependability and responsiveness to Town needs
- Maintain valid Class C California driver’s license & satisfactory driving record
- Availability to work during 4th of July events and some weekends
- Availability to work occasional Thursday evening concerts preferred
- Ability to work in inclement weather
- High School Diploma or GED
The Town's outstanding benefit package currently includes:
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision for employee and dependents (Kaiser Plan)
- 80-200 hours annual vacation based on years of service
- 10 observed holidays plus 3 floating holidays per year
- 96 hours annual sick leave
- Town paid life, short and long-term disability insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Deferred Compensation program
- CALPERS retirement plan 2% @ 55 for Classic members; 2% @ 62 for new (PEPRA) members
Please note that the Town does not participate in Social Security.