As a Moraga Police Officer, you will be required to respond to emergency and non-emergency calls for service; enforce laws and ordinances; monitor and control traffic; prevent crime; administer first aid when needed; make arrests; serve warrants and subpoenas; interview victims and witnesses; interrogate suspects; process crime scenes for evidence; process and transport prisoners; investigate crimes and prepare comprehensive written reports; testify in court; present cases for prosecution to the District Attorney’s office; speak before public groups on job related topics and provide other services as needed.
The Moraga Police Department, formed in 1979, has developed an excellent reputation among residents and the law enforcement community. Moraga has consistently maintained one of the lowest crime rates in California by promoting active patrol procedures and crime prevention education. The department has a current authorization for 12 sworn positions, 1 full time civilian Support Services Coordinator, and a part time Police Services Technician. The department is also supported by dedicated reserve officers and police cadets.
- Minimum age of 21 at time of appointment
- Minimum of 60 semester or 90 quarter units of college course work is required. Credit may be allowed for prior law enforcement experience. Bachelor’s degree is desirable.
- Must be in excellent physical health with no physical, emotional, or mental condition which might adversely affect performance.
- Must meet POST vision standards and requirements; must have normal hearing.
- Must possess a valid California driver’s license.
- Must pass oral interview, medical examination, psychological examination, polygraph and an extensive background investigation.
- Applicant will be screened using a written exercise and oral interview.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary: $82,488 – $105,264 (Effective 07/07/19 – includes POST Certificate incentives)
- Retirement: CalPERS 2% @ 50 for “classic” members; 2.7% @ 57 for new PEPRA members
- Bachelors Degree 3.0%
- Graveyard shift differential 4.0%
- 12 hour work shifts for a total of 84 hours bi-weekly
- 13 paid holidays paid in bi-weekly installments (equals 5% of annual salary)
- Sick leave is accrued at 3.69 hours bi-weekly
- Paid vacation is accrued at the rate of 80 hours per year; increases with service time.
- Education Incentive - Town pays for tuition and fees for approved job related college courses in a Bachelor or Masters Degree program up to the equivalent costs at a Cal State University.
- Uniform allowance paid to employee; $1,200 per year in bi-weekly installments.
- Compensatory time may be accrued to a maximum of 80 hours (60 hours available for cash-out each year).
- The Town provides a full family Kaiser HMO Gold medical, dental plan, vision.
- The Town provides Life, LTD & AD&D insurance.
Questions may be directed to Lieutenant Brian South at (925) 888-7052, or e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org Applicants may wish to visit the department’s web site for further information at http://police.moraga.ca.us/employment.php