The City of Newark is currently accepting applications for Lateral Police Officers and Academy Graduates.
The City of Newark, California is located in southern Alameda County at the east end of the Dumbarton Bridge, 30 miles south of Oakland and 15 miles north of San Jose. Newark’s population is approximately 43,700, with an encompassed area of approximately 13 square miles. Newark enjoys Bay Area benefits while maintaining a small town atmosphere.
The Newark Police Department is a modern, progressive law enforcement agency with 56 sworn and 20 non-sworn employees. The Newark Police Department values and rewards prior police experience. Well qualified lateral officers have enjoyed specialty assignments and promotions based upon total law enforcement experience. State of the art safety equipment, including, individually issued AR-15 patrol rifles with EOTech sights, Ballistic Helmets, Smart Phones and an Armored Rescue Vehicle.
For well qualified officers, the Newark Police Department offers accelerated hiring and training programs, as well as numerous lateral entry incentives. Our program is designed to recognize and reward your skills and experience, to include: $2500 academy reimbursement and $2500 for moving expenses. Well qualified laterals may be appointed to top salary range, and may transfer 120 hours of vacation and 100 hours of sick leave to Newark upon hire.
Numerous specialty assignments, most with premium pay incentives, to include: Detectives, Special Enforcement Team (SET), Field Training Officer (FTO), Hostage Negotiation Team (HNT), Traffic Division, School Resource Officers (SRO), Major Crimes Task Force, K-9, S.W.A.T. Team, Honor Guard, Firearms Instructor, Use of Force Instructor, and Taser Instructor.
Officers enjoy either a 3/12 or 4/10 work week, depending on assignment.
· Lateral Transfer applicants must possess a P.O.S.T. Basic, Intermediate, or Advanced Certificate and have been employed as a peace officer in the State of California within the last 12 months. A copy of the certificate is required with the application.
· Academy Graduate applicants must have successfully completed a California P.O.S.T. certified academy. A copy of the academy certificate is required with the application.
· All Applicants:
o A high school diploma or equivalent;
o US Citizenship or Permanent Resident Alien (California State law requires that permanent resident aliens who desire to be employed as peace officers must apply for citizenship before application for employment as a peace officer);
o Possession of a valid California Driver’s License and a satisfactory driving record;
o Age 21 by date of appointment;
o Physical capacity to meet standards established by the City of Newark;
o 20/20 corrected vision in both eyes. 20/80 uncorrected vision (both eyes) for those wearing glasses or hard contact lenses. Uncorrected vision requirements may be waived for persons wearing soft contact lenses upon verification of vision stability.
Salary Effective July 1, 2017: $8,361.97 - $10,561.82 per month
- Bilingual pay $75 per month
- 5% holiday-in-lieu pay
- $100 per month uniform allowance
- Sick leave incentives
- Longevity Pay (2.5% or 5% depending upon years of service)
- Educational incentives for POST Intermediate and Advanced Certificates
- Educational reimbursement
- $50,000 City paid Life Insurance
- 6.667 to 16.667 hours per month of vacation accrual (depending on length of service)
- 8 hours per month of sick leave
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision insurance coverage for employees and dependents are available at group rates.
The City provides 3%@50 "Classic" or 2.7%@57 "PEPRA" (depending upon prior CalPERS membership) Local Safety plan membership along with the indexed level 1959 Survivor Benefit Option, special retirement credit for unused sick leave, military service credit for prior service and one year highest compensation calculation. Employees automatically become members of the California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS) on the first day of their employment.
Employee shares in the cost of CalPERS retirement benefits according to a negotiated formula. The current employee contribution is 13.0% of total compensation for Classic members and 13.50% of total compensation for PEPRA members. There is no deduction for Social Security. Medicare is deducted at 1.45% of salary.
A completed CalOpps application is required.
Attach, Email (HR@Newark.org) or Fax (510-578-4259) the following:
- Lateral Transfer must submit a copy of their Basic or higher P.O.S.T. certificate.
- Academy Graduates must submit a copy of their P.O.S.T. Academy certificate.
Applications submitted without the POST certificate or Academy certificate will NOT be considerd.
Resumes are not accepted in lieu of the application or the required certificate.
Note: When uploading your POST certifications in CalOpps, you must combine your documents into one PDF that is no larger than 2 MB.