Under direction from the Recreation Coordinator, coach and referee youth basketball, score keep basketball league games in the gymnasium at the Silliman Activity Center.
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions, but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Coach and referee youth basketball to maintain standards of play and ensure that game rules are observed.
- Teach and explain the rules and regulations of basketball.
- Confer with other coaches/referees, players and facility managers in order to provide information, coordinate activities, and discuss problems.
- Score keep basketball league games as assigned.
- Maintain gymnasium area including equipment and facility.
- Meet and deal tactfully and effectively with the public.
- Perform other job-related duties within the scope of this job classification as assigned.
- Must be at least 15 years of age.
- Must be able to provide own transportation to and from work.
- Must be able to attend in-service trainings.
- Be able to work as part of a professional team and collaborate effectively with peers, possess excellent public relations skills, and render consistent and logical decisions.
- Be able to meet personal appearance and dress standards of the department.
- Be self-motivated, and able to work well independently and as part of a team.
Candidate must possess a CPR/AED Certification from a credited organization within 6 months of employment. The City of Newark offers free classes for new employees.
Must be able to work a varied schedule, which may include weekends and some holidays. Weekly work shifts will generally be scheduled between the following hours:
Wed: 5:15 p.m. – 9:15 p.m.
Sat: 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
This is a non-benefited, part-time, seasonal, temporary (PST) position. PST employees will only work 1,000 hours per year.
- Sick Leave: After 90 days from an employee’s hire date, and once an employee has worked a total of 30 days, the employee is entitled to 3 days (24 hours) sick leave per fiscal year. Sick hours do not roll over to the next year and therefore must be utilized or forfeited annually.
- The City of Newark does not participate in Social Security, therefore, the Part-time, Seasonal, Temporary (PST) employee will be required to contribute to a Nationwide Deferred Compensation Plan.
PART-TIME EMPLOYEE STATUS:
- This is a part time position, outside the civil service system and is therefore considered an “at-will” employee status position. Employment may be terminated with or without cause or notice, at any time, at the will of the City of Newark, in its sole discretion.
- City application (Only accepted via Calopps).
- At least 15 years old at the time of application submission.
- Must have a valid work permit if you are under the age of 18.
- Must successfully pass a TB test before an appointment, which is at your own cost.
- Required to submit to a City Fingerprint Background Investigation