The Newark Recreation and Community Services Department is looking for Aquatic Instructors (Swim Instructors) and Lifeguards for our fantastic swim lesson and aquatic programs, to work at the Silliman Activity & Family Aquatic Center. We are looking for positive, patient, motivated, self-driven individuals that have a passion for working with children and wish to make a difference in a child's life by teaching them lifelong water skills! Swimming experience is desired. Swim Instructor training will be provided once hired. Those that are successful in the application review will be invited to attend an interview either in person, or via ZOOM. Please note that this position requires you to work in an indoor aquatic environment subject to warm/humid temperatures.
- Applicants should be able to work at least 10- 25 hours from October 1, 2021 – May 1, 2022, including weekends and some holidays, with mandatory monthly trainings.
- Please note that shift preference is not guaranteed and is based on the program's staffing needs and can change at any time. Please keep this in mind when/if you plan to attend school.
**All communication will be via email for this recruitment**
Stacy Burton, Aquatics Coordinator
- City application (Only accepted via Calopps)
- At least 15 years old at the time of application submission.
- Must have a valid work permit if you are under the age of 18.
- Must successfully pass a TB test before an appointment, which is at your own cost.
- Required to submit to a City Fingerprint Background Investigation
- Complete an in-person swimming skills evaluation, to be scheduled with the Aquatic Coordinator. Including but not limited to 25-yard swim of Freestyle, Breaststroke, Backstroke, Sidestroke, Elementary Backstroke, Butterfly. You may be asked to complete a lifeguard swim test as well if you have or are interested in working as a lifeguard. That swim test is a 300-yard swim (freestyle or breaststroke, demonstrating breath control), 2 minute tread without the use of hands/arms, retrieve a 10lbs object from 20 yards and return it to the side of the pool within 1 min, 40 sec
- Current American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification required (Waterpark and Emergency Oxygen certification preferred). Contingent on acquiring these certifications prior to working any lifeguard shifts.
This is a non-benefited, part-time, seasonal, temporary (PST) position. PST employees will only work 1,000 hours per year.