The current Associate Civil Engineer vacancy will perform professional civil engineering work related to the review, design, construction, inspection, and coordination of a variety of public works projects with a particular emphasis on Traffic and Transportation Engineering. The Associate Civil Engineer is a part of the Engineering Division of the Public Works Department. The Associate Civil Engineer will report directly to the Assistant City Engineer and be expected to exercise a considerable amount of independent judgement while managing the planning, design, operation, and maintenance of the City’s traffic and transportation systems. The Associate Civil Engineer ensures compliance with applicable laws, rules, regulations, and ordinances and will represent the City at meetings with public officials, regulatory bodies, the business community, policy and advisory boards, community groups, and the public.
Applicants are encouraged to review the class specification for the essential duties, and knowledge and abilities required for the position. For example of duties, review the flyer:
The ideal Associate Civil Engineer (Traffic/Transportation) candidate will have a strong background in the development and evaluation of traffic and transportation studies, management of municipal traffic signal systems and transportation programs, and the preparation of plans, specifications and costs estimates for a variety of Capital Improvement Projects. Experience with the review of private development improvement plans and proposals is also highly desirable. Successful candidates should possess good interpersonal and leadership skills with the ability to easily adjust to a variety of situations. This position is ideal for a hands-on professional that enjoys taking on a wide variety of engineering projects while working closely with staff to ensure a high performing customer service-oriented work environment is maintained. Registration as a Licensed Traffic Engineer (TE) in the State of California or certification as a Professional Traffic Operations Engineer (PTOE) is desired, but not required and cannot be accepted as a substitute for registration as a PE.
The salary range for the Associate Civil Engineer is $8,415.00 – $12,199.00 per month. In addition to a competitive salary, the City of Newark offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
- 9/80 schedule work schedule (every other Friday off)
- CalPERS retirement – Classic members 2.5%@55, Employee contributes 11.468%; PEPRA members 2%@62, Employee contributes 10.218%
- Cafeteria Health Plan - $861 employee only; $1,721 employee+1; $2,273 employee +2 or more dependents (cash out option $450/month). Use towards CalPERS medical plans, Delta Dental, EyeMed Vision, or additional life insurance
- Health and Welfare reimbursement – $100/month (out-of-pocket health-related expenses)
- Life Insurance – City-paid $20,000 policy (additional insurance available at group rates)
- Up to 56 hours of management leave annually
- 184 – 264 hours of general leave annually, depending on years of service
- 13 paid holidays
- Employees and eligible family members have free use of the gym and other facilities at the Silliman Activity and Family Aquatic Center, as well as resident rates for classes and rentals
- On-site bicycle lockers, private shower room, and employee wellness activities
- Educational reimbursement up to $10,000
All applications and resumes submitted through www.CalOpps.org by the deadline will be reviewed. The most qualified candidates will be invited to a panel interview tentatively scheduled for week of October 18, 2021. Finalists will be invited to a final interview process tentatively scheduled for the week of October 25, 2021. The selected final candidate will be required to complete a background check, including fingerprinting, and a basic physical exam. The candidate successful in all phases of the recruitment process will be asked to start employment as soon as possible.
We will make reasonable efforts in the selection process to accommodate persons with disabilities. Please contact the Human Resources Department prior to September 15, 2021 for accommodation requests.
The City of Newark is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and does not discriminate against employees or job applicants on the basis of any local, state, or federal protected class.
In accordance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act, all potential employees are required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or authorization to work in the United States. All new employees are required by law to sign a loyalty oath.