The Hydro Technician troubleshoots, repairs, calibrates, maintains, tests and installs communications and control system hardware, software, and equipment in hydroelectric power generating stations and facilities. Systems include: microwave, telemetry, two-way radio, fiber optic, multiplex carrier, VoIP & POTS telephone, SCADA & DCS, RTU’s, serial comms (RS-232 / RS-485), frame relay, protective relay (transfer trip & power line carrier), Electronic Security Perimeter (Routable Networking components including Defense-in-Depth strategies), routable networks security, physical security (alarms & video surveillance), basic electronics, AC/DC, instrumentation, DC Power, and PV systems.
Essential Duties / Skills: (other duties may be assigned)
· Networking (firewalls, routers, switches, VLAN, encryption, TCP/IP, UDP, VPN, OSI model)
· SCADA (management, graphical development, data historian, OS patches, security)
· Power Plant Control System Security (network security, defense-in-depth, risk modeling/remediation, NERC CIP compliance / monitoring, ports/services)
· PLC interface with DCS distributed control system (input/output, scaling, PLC programming)
· Telemetry (modbus, DNP, Serial, RTU, I/O)
· Telecom (VoIP, POTS, DDS, T1, etc.)
· Microwave (Hardware, software, troubleshooting, etc.)
· Two-Way Radio (900 MHz, Motorola MotoTrbo, etc.)
· Fiber Optics (OTDR, Maintenance, etc.)
· Auxiliary Equipment (Batteries, solar, back-up generators, AC/DC, peripheral computer components)
· Project Management (develop wiring diagrams, layout drawings, & engineering specifications for system modifications)
· Assists with maintenance and repair of mechanical and electrical equipment and systems
· Hydroelectric power plant experience.
· Ability to operate, control and monitor hydroelectric generating units and auxiliary equipment.
· High school diploma with additional education and/or certifications (GROL, NARTE, CISSP, CISCO, etc.) highly desirable.
· Completion of a recognized apprenticeship program or equivalent course work in electronics and data communications.
· At least five (5) years of responsible experience maintaining, installing & repairing electronic control systems & data communications equipment.
· Knowledge of: R56 standards , FCC rules / regulations, NERC CIP standards, Radio frequencies, electronics and instrumentation theory, DC/AC theory, Networking and Security principles.
· Unrestricted CA Drivers License and clean driving record.
· Ability to climb towers up to 175’ and complete physically demanding work in rough natural terrain.
· Willingness to be available for work during off hours in case of emergency.
Benefits: NCPA offers excellent benefits including CalPERS medical and retirement plan. See our website for more details on NCPA’s extensive benefits package.