Pacifica

Maintenance Worker I (20114139)

calopps-tags
Maintenance
calopps-map-marker
San Francisco/Peninsula
calopps-hourglass
Full-Time
calopps-calendar
5/17/2021 at 5pm
calopps-usd
$5,028.00-$6,069.00
calopps-question


Please review the special instructions before applying for this job opportunity.


Description

THE OPPORTUNITY

The City of Pacifica is a beautiful coastal community, just south of San Francisco with an exciting opportunity. We are currently hiring for a Maintenance Worker I to join our team. Under general supervision, this position will perform semi-skilled maintenance and repairs of City streets, sanitary sewers, storm drains, park and recreation landscaped areas, and other related work.  

 

At the City of Pacifica, we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. To us, equal opportunity employment is not just about compliance, it’s about who you are, how you can help our City and who you want to be. At the City of Pacifica, we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and residents.

 

If interested, we invite you to explore this opportunity with us, please note, recruitment closes on May 17, 2021 by 5:00 PDT, so apply today!

 

BASIC EXAMPLE OF DUTIES

Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:

  • Perform a variety of semi-skilled maintenance related duties involving manual labor of facilities, parks, storm drains, streets, etc.
  • Operate and maintain sewer rodding, compressors and additional pneumatic tools
  • Clean out catch-basins and other storm-related preventive maintenance
  • Repair irrigation systems, tools, recreation and maintenance equipment
  • Operate various motorized equipment such as  a tractor, gang mower, power mower, and other equipment
  • Plants, waters, mows, prunes, sprays and maintains hedges, lawns, trees, flowers and shrubs
  • Repairs and replaces sewer and storm drainage pipe
  • Perform basic carpentry, painting, plumbing, street construction and pipe-fitting work
  • Street traffic control and sign painting which may include inventory, purchasing, use of computer plotting machine and welding

The duties described in this job announcement are intended only as illustrations of the basic types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. 

Ideal Candidate

QUALIFICATION GUIDELINES

Experience

  • Must possess a high school diploma or GED equivalent.

Education

  • Must have one year of semi-skilled construction, grounds keeping or maintenance experience.

Licenses

  • Must possess a valid Class C California driver’s license at time of appointment.
  • May be required to obtain a Class A or Class B driver’s license and subject to DOT regulations.

 

Abilities/Knowledge

Ability to drive and possess a valid California driver's license; knowledge of common tools, materials and practices used in construction, gardening and maintenance work; ability to operate trucks, motorized equipment and hand tools; mechanical aptitude; ability to follow written and oral instructions; physical strength, agility, endurance, and the ability to do heavy lifting; ability to perform work that is labor intensive and which requires heavy lifting; ability to  bend and stoop.

Benefits

The City's comprehensive benefits package includes:

Holidays: Thirteen (13) days per year.

Vacation: From 11 to 27 days per year, depending on length of service.

Sick leave: Accrual is one day per month, with no limit on accrual.

Retirement: The City contracts with CalPERS to provide a retirement plan that utilizes the formula of 2.5% @ 55 for "Classic members" or 2% @ 62 for "PEPRA members." Classic Members contribute 8% employee contribution plus 2.5% employer cost share for a total contribution of 10.5%.  PEPRA members pay 6.75% employee contribution plus 2.5% employer cost share for a total contribution of 9.25%.    

Insurance:  The City provides its employees with a medical  insurance allowance that allows employees to purchase medical insurance through either Teamsters Union #856 Health and Welfare or CalPERS medical benefits plan. Some plans require employee contributions.   Employees with proof of qualifying health insurance coverage through another group health plan may qualify for a "Health In-Lieu Payment" when declining city coverage.

The City contributes toward a dental insurance plan and vision plan for employee and all eligible dependents.

The City pays premiums for:

·         Life insurance premium in the amount of $30,000.

·         Long term disability insurance (to begin sixty days after onset of non-work-related illness or injury).

Training: The City will pay up to $1000 per fiscal year toward the cost of books and tuition required as part of courses taken that are job-related.

Deferred Compensation: Employees may participate in a choice of three deferred compensation plans.

Union Membership: This position is represented by the Teamsters Local 856, Miscellaneous Unit.  

Special Instructions

Interested candidates must submit a completed online employment application in CalOpps.org.  Resumes in lieu of a completed application will not be accepted.  Applications can be obtained online at https://www.calopps.org/city-of-pacifica

Examination and Selection Process

Applicants will be assessed on the application submitted. Applicants will be screened to the most qualified and invited to the next step in the recruitment process which may include a panel interview. The following information is provided for you to use as a reference and as a planning tool.  Human Resources is unable to schedule make-up examinations. 

  • Deadline to apply is May 17, 2021
  • Virtual interviews are tentatively scheduled for June 2, 2021

Human Resources has the right to revise this process as needed based on business needs.

After a mutual interest has been established, the final candidate must pass a City of Pacifica background check which includes but is not limited to the Department of Justice fingerprinting scan, reference check, and more.

 

Recruitment Contact

Contact email: