Job Title: Board Clerk/Executive Assistant/Office Manager
Salary: To be determined, based on experience
Job Type: Full-Time
Location: HQ in Redwood City, CA (remote until office reopens)
PENINSULA CLEAN ENERGY
Peninsula Clean Energy is a joint powers authority formed by the County of San Mateo and each of its 20 cities to offer greener electricity to its residents and businesses to meet local climate action goals. In December 2020, the City of Los Banos joined Peninsula Clean Energy and will start receiving service from Peninsula Clean Energy in April 2022. Peninsula Clean Energy is governed by a 23-member Board of Directors, which is comprised of a representative from the governing body of each member community.
Peninsula Clean Energy operates as a Community Choice Energy program to provide clean energy for its member communities by purchasing electricity from clean generation sources (such as solar, wind and hydropower). Electricity is still delivered over the existing distribution system, which will continue to be owned and operated by the current electric utility, PG&E. Implementing Peninsula Clean Energy’s program helps achieve local community climate actions goals. Peninsula Clean Energy serves approximately 300,000 customers.
The Peninsula Clean Energy Authority seeks qualified candidates for the multi-function role of Board Clerk/Executive Assistant/Office Manager. This is an exciting opportunity to become involved with Peninsula Clean Energy (PCE). The efforts of the Board Clerk/Executive Assistant/Office Manager will help PCE increase renewable energy usage and reduce greenhouse gas emissions for this geographic area. More information is available at: www.peninsulacleanenergy.com.
This position will function as administrative support to the PCE Board of Directors, as executive support to the CEO, and as Office Manager for the two offices located at our headquarters in Redwood City
As Board Clerk, you would provide expert administrative support to the Board of Directors and PCE staff in the preparation and maintenance of public records and interaction with public officials. In addition, the Board Clerk will establish, set, maintain, present, and distribute agendas and Board meeting material and minutes, and respond to inquiries from Board members and the public. The Board Clerk will also coordinate Board-related meetings and maintain records of Board actions taken.
As Executive Assistant, you would help PCE’s CEO to coordinate and schedule multiple meetings, track requests for document review, and assist the CEO to prepare for various meetings. In addition, the Executive Assistant will assist with the composition of resolutions, staff reports, Board summaries, and other official PCE documents.
As Office Manager, you would be responsible for managing various office needs including office supplies, mail, kitchen use and supplies, and office equipment maintenance and repair. In addition, the Office Manager coordinates office design and construction.
This position will often be the first point of public contact for PCE and will have frequent interaction with PCE officials, community members, and members of the public regarding official PCE Board of Directors issues, such as public meetings, agenda items, and general operations. The selected candidate must exercise initiative, discretion, and good judgment in the analysis and resolution of issues that require technical or specialized knowledge of the PCE organization along with its policies and procedures.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare draft agendas from material submitted by staff; word process, organize and collate (if necessary) final agendas with supplemental material for distribution
- Review supporting documents for agenda items, screening for discrepancies, ensuring materials are relevant, accurate, and appropriately processed in accordance with legal requirements and PCE procedures
- Prepare and distribute meeting material for Regular Board meetings, Special Board meetings, and various Board Committee meetings, including posting to PCE website, distributing to PCE list-serve
- Record minutes at the Board of Directors meetings, including recording the essential content of discussion, motions and votes, transcribing notes and checking draft copies of minutes for grammatical usage, technical terminology, spelling, and sentence structure
- Answer public inquiries in person, by phone, and by email, and route inquiries as necessary to appropriate PCE staff
- Prepare resolutions and staff reports as necessary
- Interface with general counsel regarding meeting legal requirements including for public noticing and the Brown Act
- Post and update meeting materials and Board-approved documents on PCE's website as needed
- Take appropriate follow-up action on the Board's decisions, such as notifying interested parties on specific items
- Maintain records of Board actions, including but not limited to minutes and resolutions
- Provide PCE Board Directors, committees, and staff with logistical support for meetings, presentations, and events, including all logistical agency meeting and event coordination (such as location, room reservations, amenities, and materials)
- Ensure collection and filing of annual Form 700 submittals from PCE Board members as well as designated staff and consultants
- Provide planning and management support for PCE events
- Ensure maintenance of Board-related records according to PCE rules and policies, including Board meeting archive material and informational material
- Research, compile, and organize information and official records for use by Board members, PCE staff, and the public
- Provide direct support for CEO on administrative tasks and calendar scheduling
- Perform routine tasks including duplicating, photocopying, and assembling bulk mailing
- Maintain office supplies to meet the needs of PCE Board members and staff
- Coordinate office maintenance and upkeep including furniture, office equipment, janitorial coordination. Maintain kitchen supplies and office/building maintenance and construction, when needed
The ideal candidate would have:
Any combination of education and experience that would provide the knowledge and abilities listed. Typically, equivalent to possession of an Associate of Arts degree in business administration or related field, and at least 5 (five) years of responsible clerical experience, which has included considerable exercise of initiative, attention to detail, and independent judgment. Experience and proficiency using Microsoft Office (word, excel, powerpoint) and Adobe Acrobat.
- Modern technology, systems, and software designed to assist in the computerized management of information
- Principles for dealing successfully with individuals of various ages, and members of various ethnic and socio-economic groups
- Data processing applications and systems, and the principles of modern office management
- Standard office administrative and secretarial practices and procedures, including business correspondence, correct English usage, grammar, spelling, vocabulary, and punctuation
- Records management principles and practices, and research methods and techniques
- Develop a thorough knowledge of the role, organization, policies, and procedures of the Board of Directors and PCE
- Learn the legal requirements governing the processing of documents related to Board actions
- Perform technical and responsible office administrative work independently
- Identify and secure confidential, highly sensitive records and written or verbally communicated information, and record such information accurately
- Retain and recall information to respond to inquiries, and efficiently search files and retrieve data as required
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those encountered during performance of duties
- Word process or type at a speed sufficient to perform assigned duties
- Use database, spreadsheet, and web interface and/or internet applications depending on assignment
- Plan own work, complete multiple, concurrent projects, and meet critical time deadlines
- Communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in written form, sufficient to convey information and instructions to the public and other employees in situations requiring tact, courtesy, and poise
- Willingness to work on weekends and evenings related to PCE events or meetings
- Possess keen communication capabilities, verbally, written, and graphically through presentations, with high attention to detail
PHYSICAL AND WORKING CONDITIONS
TEMPORARY: Given the current COVID-19 pandemic, work will be performed in a remote, work-from-home environment until further notice.
ENVIRONMENT: Work is performed in a typical office setting with exposure to computer screens with moderate noise and will require some evening and weekend work. The noise level in the work environment is usually typical of an office environment and public events.
PHYSICAL: While performing the duties of this class, employees are regularly required to sit, walk, and stand; talk or hear, in person and by telephone; reach with hands and arms. Employees are occasionally required to walk, and stand for prolonged periods; stoop, bend, kneel and twist; and may lift up to 20 pounds. Employees must be able to communicate in person, in writing, and by telephone with Board members, management, co-workers, vendors, consultants, and with the public in face-to-face, one-on-one, and group settings.
Salary and Benefits
Compensation commensurate with experience. Peninsula Clean Energy offers a generous benefits package, including
- Individual, family and domestic partner health insurance
- Retirement and Employer Matching Contributions
- Health and dependent care flex spending account
- Paid Parental Leave
- Paid Vacation
Application and Selection Process
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please submit the items listed below in PDF format to email@example.com.
- Cover letter expressing interest in the position
- Thorough, detailed and concise responses to the following topics:
- Describe your experience performing administrative tasks and services for a public sector executive board or commission, or equivalent. List the tasks and services you provided.
- Describe your experience providing executive assistant support to a Chief Executive Officer or an executive in a similar high-level position. Again, list the tasks and services you provided.
- Describe your experience managing multiple projects with varying deadlines while ensuring accuracy of your work. Be sure to include the techniques you utilize to stay organized and be successful.
- Describe your customer service philosophy and the specific ways you provide the highest standards of customer service.
Peninsula Clean Energy is an equal opportunity employer.