Job Title: Community Outreach Specialist
Salary: To be determined, based on experience
Job Type: Full-Time
Location: Redwood City, California (currently working remotely)
ABOUT PENINSULA CLEAN ENERGY
Concerned about climate change? Want to apply your talents to the fast-growing, vitally important area of green energy and do meaningful work that helps the community and the environment? With Peninsula Clean Energy’s marketing team, you join a collegial, professional, environmentally-conscious and energetic culture.
This is an exciting opportunity to join one of California’s innovative Community Choice Aggregation agencies that are reducing carbon emissions by providing clean energy. In addition, as a not-for-profit organization, we reinvest into the community with programs that support building electrification, electric vehicle (EV) adoption, EV charging solutions and a variety of energy pilot projects.
The Community Outreach Specialist will be the principal on-the-ground representative of Peninsula Clean Energy at community events as well as a liaison with community organizations. The Community Outreach Specialist will inform residents and businesses about the organization and its benefits and generate enthusiasm in all segments of the community.
A strong candidate will be a skilled and enthusiastic communicator who is passionate about clean energy and climate action. They will also be organized, detail-oriented, and exhibit a high degree of professionalism. They will enjoy constantly absorbing new complex information on energy billing and programs within a dynamic organization in order to represent it in a simple and accurate manner to customers. The ideal candidate will also be bilingual in English and Spanish or Chinese.
This is a full-time exempt position at Peninsula Clean Energy to be based in its Redwood City office, with travel throughout San Mateo County and occasionally to Los Banos (after COVID restrictions are lifted). The position reports to the Senior Manager of Community Relations.
Under the direction of the Senior Manager of Community Relations, the successful Community Outreach Specialist will:
- Build positive relationships with member communities in San Mateo County, including among hard-to-reach customers across multiple languages.
- Work with the Senior Manager of Community Relations to administer the agency’s Outreach Grant Program, including assisting in developing requests for grant proposals, reviewing and evaluating proposals and assisting in the final selection of outreach grantees.
- Support Outreach Grantees by providing materials, responding to information requests, and proofreading outreach materials created by grantees.
- Give presentations to community and professional groups about Peninsula Clean Energy and its programs. Represent the agency with professionalism, give accurate information, and answer frequently asked questions. Maintain up-to-date PowerPoint presentations covering basic information about the organization and its programs.
- Work with the Senior Manager of Community Relations to administer the agency’s sponsorship and membership program, including tracking to ensure equitable allocation of funds across the service territory.
- Organize community outreach opportunities, including identifying events and handling logistics including registration, materials, and staffing. Staff PCE booths, including packing and transporting outreach materials, setting up and taking down booth, and engaging the public with accurate information and enthusiasm (when COVID restrictions lift).
- Work with senior staff to coordinate engagement with schools and youth, through our partners at San Mateo Office of Education, San Mateo County Community College District, One Planet Schools and other entities (including those focused on schools and youth in the City of Los Banos) that develop and administer educational programs focused on energy and environmental sustainability.
- Through interactions with the public, monitor customer perceptions and maintain awareness of issues that may be confusing or misunderstood. Work with agency’s marketing communications team to ensure that communications materials address such issues.
- Stay up to date on the agency’s customer programs and offerings and any changes to them.
- Research and organize data about member communities as directed.
- Help develop social media, newsletter, and outreach material content as needed.
- Manage administrative tasks as needed.
- Translate outreach materials as needed.
The ideal candidate would have:
Minimum Education and Experience:
- An Associates or Bachelors degree, preferably in a related field.
- At least 3-5 years of relevant experience.
- A valid California driver’s license.
Knowledge and Understanding:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including effective public speaking.
- Fast learner, ability to absorb complex new information quickly and communicate it in simple terms.
- Outgoing, friendly, and relationship-oriented; enjoy interacting with others.
- Responsible and professional team player.
- Basic understanding of clean energy and its impact on climate.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) and comfortable learning additional computer software and databases as needed.
- Bilingual or fluent in English and Spanish or Chinese.
- Manage multiple priorities and quickly adapt to changing priorities in a fast-paced dynamic environment.
- Take responsibility and work independently, as well as coordinate team efforts within Peninsula Clean Energy.
- Communicate effectively about complex topics in easy-to-understand presentations.
- Be thorough, organized, and detail oriented.
- Work accurately and swiftly under pressure.
- Demonstrate patience, tact, and courtesy.
- Work evenings and weekends as needed to represent the organization at community events.
- Travel around San Mateo County and occasionally to Los Banos.
- Knowledge of Community Choice Energy
- Experience in the energy sector
- Experience with utility or local government operations
- Understanding of energy customer programs in California
- Familiarity with the San Mateo County community
PHYSICAL AND WORKING CONDITIONS
TEMPORARY: Given the current COVID-19 pandemic, most work will be performed in a remote, work-from-home environment until further notice. This position will follow public health guidelines issued by San Mateo County and the State of California.
ENVIRONMENT: Work is performed in a typical office setting with exposure to computer screens with moderate noise, and will require frequent evening and weekend work at public events (as they start up again). The noise level in the work environment is usually typical of an office environment and public events.
PHYSICAL: While performing the duties of this class, employees are regularly required to sit, walk, and stand; talk or hear, in person and by telephone; reach with hands and arms. Employees are occasionally required to walk, and stand for prolonged periods; stoop, bend, kneel and twist; and may lift and carry up to 50 pounds, for example in setting up and taking down booths at community events. Employees must be able to communicate in person, in writing, and by telephone with management, co-workers, vendors, consultants, and with the public in face-to-face, one-on-one, and group settings.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Compensation commensurate with experience. PCE offers a generous benefits package, including:
- Individual, family, and domestic partner health insurance
- Retirement and employer matching contributions
- Health and dependent care flex spending account
- Paid parental leave
- Paid vacation and holidays
- Other benefits
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please submit the items listed below in PDF format to email@example.com.
- Cover letter expressing interest in the position
- Brief written responses to the following questions (up to two pages total):
- Please describe an example of how you engaged a community in a mission or project that you were responsible for promoting.
- What do you see as the major benefits of Community Choice Energy?
- What is your understanding of clean energy and the role it plays in addressing climate change?
Peninsula Clean Energy is an equal opportunity employer.