The City of Redwood City’s Library Department
Invites You To Apply For The part-time (20 hours per week) Regular Position Of:
Library Assistant I/II Bilingual
Providing a variety of services for children, adults, and families, the current opening is based at the bilingual Fair Oaks Branch Library. Bilingual ability (Spanish/English) is highly preferred. Performs a wide variety of technical and clerical library work related to such activities as circulation and assisting customers in a team-oriented atmosphere. The candidate will be friendly, outgoing, enthusiastic, creative, technologically savvy and able to consistently provide superb service to a diverse community of library users. The candidate may also be assigned to work at other Redwood City Public Library locations. The position will require work during the day, evenings and weekends. We may use the eligibility list created from this recruitment process to fill any part-time positions that occur in other Redwood City Public Library locations, during the life of the eligibility list.
Please click on the PDF link below to review the complete job announcement.
Typical duties include, but are not limited to, the following: Acknowledge and greet customers; provide high level public service at the Customer Assistance desk ; register new customers; collect overdue fines; answer routine directional and informational questions; explain library policies and resolve problems; use basic reference sources to locate information requested by customers; assist in developing procedures, and prepare reports/surveys as directed; open/close the branches; assist in library electronic services projects; provide basic troubleshooting of computer hardware/software; input into library database bibliographic information and customer records; assist in the processing of library materials; repair, retrieve and shelve library materials; perform routine clerical assignments; assign routine tasks and provide instruction to Library Pages; assist in receiving library materials; receive/sort/distribute incoming mail; inventory and order supplies; assist in preparation of displays and exhibits; assist with library programs, special events, and outreach; and perform related duties as assigned.
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities are qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Education & Experience
Education equivalent to completion of the twelfth grade. At least one year recent experience performing direct interactive general public customer services or related work in a library or significant experience working in a direct interactive public customer services position is required. Experience working in team-oriented atmosphere is highly preferred. Appointment may be at the Library Assistant I or II level, depending on qualifications.
For a full job description visit: https://www.redwoodcity.org/Home/ShowDocument?id=454
License & Certificates
- Incumbent may be required to travel between various locations during their scheduled work shift.
- Possession of a valid California Driver’s License and a satisfactory driving record.
- Customer service principles
- Standard library procedures, including circulation, search procedures, and the use of reference sources.
- Computers and software.
- General types and uses of library materials.
- Policies, procedures, organization and operating details of a library.
- Basic technology devices, programs and applications
- Electronic resources and basic troubleshooting.
- Provide excellent customer service in a friendly cooperative manner.
- Communicate clearly, both orally and in written form.
- Work well as a proactive and innovative team member
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
- Respond to general assistance inquiries of library customers and respond to reference questions.
- Assist customers in locating library materials and using library materials
- Troubleshoot basic technology problems
- Communicate in both Spanish and English.
- Sit, stand, walk, kneel, crouch, squat, stoop, reach and lift 20 pounds and push/pull 50 pounds.
- Work during the day, evenings and weekends.
- Work independently and with direct supervision.
A City application including a pre-requisite questionnaire is required. Prior to appointment, candidates will be required to pass a background check (at no cost to the candidate) including the following:
- Criminal History Check
- DMV Check
Open Until Filled, First Review of Applications on 10/28/19
Apply online at www.CalOpps.org Member Agency: Redwood City
Candidates with a disability, which may require special assistance in any phase of the application or selection process, should advise the Human Resources Division upon submittal of application.
Selection Process Oral Board Interview Tentatively scheduled for November 7, 2019. All applications will be reviewed for neatness, accuracy, completion, relevant education, experience, training and other job related qualifications. The most qualified applicants will be asked to participate in the testing process, which will consist of an interview with Department staff.
Our Core Purpose: Build a Great Community Together
The values that guide us are:
- EXCELLENCE: Passion to do our best in each moment.
- INTEGRITY: Do the right thing, not the easy thing.
- SERVICE: We care and it makes a difference.
- CREATIVITY: Freedom to imagine and courage to act.
The successful candidate will enjoy the following benefits:
- Public Employees Retirement System (PERS) 2%@60 for current members, 2%@62 for new members
- Opportunity to select from a variety of health plans that are administered by PERS; Dental & vision insurance Employee Assistance Program
- Vacation leave: l0-25 days per year
- Sick leave of 12 days per year
- Fourteen paid holidays per year
- Fitness center access at City facilities
- Commuter program available (6 minutes’ walk from Caltrain)
- Bilingual differential 2.5%
- Advanced bilingual differential 5%
Part-time - 20 hours per week,
All benefits will be prorated at 50% of the full-time equivalent