Literacy Tutor – Student Coordinator
The Literacy Tutor – Student Coordinator will promote the awareness of a volunteer-based Literacy Training Program for adults in the City of Redwood City; recruit and train volunteers; recruit and place students; and serve as an advisor and resource to volunteer tutors.
Typical duties include, but are not limited to:
- Assist trainers to develop teaching methods appropriate to the program.
- Assist in recruiting students and volunteer tutors for the program.
- Select and purchase materials for use by volunteer tutors in teaching students enrolled in the program.
- Interview potential students, make preliminary assessment of their reading level; assign to appropriate tutors.
- Interview potential tutors, arrange for their training; assign students caseload.
- Consult with volunteer tutors individually and in groups to answer their questions and help them resolve difficulties which they may encounter.
- Monitor students’ progress with tutors and keep records of volunteer hours worked. Provide expert advice and support to volunteer tutors regarding teaching methods, appropriate materials, ways to deal with student problems, etc.
- Work with Program Director to promote Literacy Program in the community by making presentations to groups and at meetings.
- Contribute to publicity vehicles such as brochures, flyers, newsletters, etc.
- Establish various locations where literacy training can occur.
Please click on the PDF link below to review the complete job announcement.
The ideal candidate has both community programs and correctional facilities programs experience; has knowledge and experience at coordinating Literacy Programs for community members and incarcerated learners; has experience in recruiting, training and keeping close communication with a large number of volunteers; and is creative, innovative and has a sense of humor.
The successful candidate will enjoy the following benefits:
- Public Employees Retirement System (PERS) 2%@60 for current members, 2%@62 for new members
- Opportunity to select from a variety of health plans that are administered by PERS; Maximum City contribution is $1,766/month
- Dental & vision insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Vacation leave: l0-25 days per year
- Sick leave of 12 days per year
- Fourteen paid holidays per year
- Fitness center access at City facilities
- Commuter program available
Following the first review of application the week of April 13, 2020, interviews will be scheduled as needed until the position is filled.