The City of Rocklin seeks an Assistant City Manager (ACM) with a passion for economic development, community engagement, and public administration. The next ACM will be a high-energy leader who embraces collaborative partnerships and will use those relationships to improve services and create efficiencies through the implementation of strategic objectives. Rocklin’s city manager began in November 2020; she is looking to build a strong partnership with the new ACM to further the City’s growth. Additionally, the successful ACM candidate will help lead and respond to the City’s opportunities and challenges in a strategic manner and be experienced in economic development, have exceptional communication skills, and have a leadership presence supported by tangible accomplishments.
Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Create a robust Economic Development Strategy to foster and strengthen the City's economic and employment base.
- Create a Government Relations Program, including developing relationships and partnerships at all levels of government, collaborating with regional partners, and managing the City’s legislative advocacy program.
- Oversight and implementation of the City Strategic Planning process.
- Oversight and implementation of the City’s American Rescue Plan Act allocation.
- Plan, organize, direct, review, and evaluate economic development activities and operations of assigned several departments.
- Create, plan, direct, and ensure implementation of economic development programs, including, but not limited to, business attraction, retention, and expansion; marketing and promotions; business outreach; and economic policy implementation and oversight.
- Interpret and ensure compliance with local, state, and federal laws relating to assigned areas.
- Advise the City Council, City Manager, and City Attorney on a broad range of issues within areas of responsibility.
- Collaborate with a wide variety of groups, organizations, developers, existing and potential businesses, other City departments, City officials, and government agencies regarding projects, business locations, and coordination of projects or programs; establish, maintain, and improve department relationships with external organizations and the City's institutional partners.
- Develop requests for proposals; negotiate and monitor contract and agreement with outside service providers and vendors to ensure compliance and cost-effectiveness.
- Direct the preparation and administration of assigned department’s budgets; approve the forecast of funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; approve expenditures and implement budgetary adjustments as necessary.
To view the full job description click here.
A bachelor's degree with major coursework in finance, accounting, economics, real estate financing and development, political science, public or business administration, or a closely related field;
Six (6) years of increasingly responsible, management experience in municipal government, including three (3) years as head or director of a department or major division.
Professional municipal experience in one or more economic development disciplines, which may include business attraction and retention; development and management of public and private partnerships projects; or real estate development is highly desirable.
The ideal candidate will:
- Develop and manage a broad range of economic development functions, business services, and business attraction and retention programs.
- Support the Rocklin business community through connections to available resources, assisting in facilitating business-to-business transactions, and increasing business investment and attraction.
- Facilitate the City’s Real Property Management through innovative partnerships and developments to maximize city-owned property use.
- Be a trusted partner and community engager who enjoys building community inside and outside the city.
- Manage the operations and functions assigned with prudent oversight of programs, budgets, and personnel.
- Create and maintain an environment where ideas are fostered and nurtured.
- Be an outstanding communicator with exceptional interpersonal, analytical, written, and verbal communication and presentation skills; handle sensitive and political situations with tact and diplomacy.
- Be an exceptional listener; one who knows when to listen, when to add perspective, and how to appropriately deliver hard news.
- Improve and sustain superior project and program delivery, maintain and build high-performing teams that hold themselves accountable for their performance, and delegate appropriately.
- Demonstrate the ability to analyze, interpret, and effectively identify and solve problems; make informed decisions, and successfully addresses complex organizational challenges; provide/implement creative solutions and provide direction by clearly and effectively setting courses of action.
- Possess well-rounded city management skills and be comfortable taking a hands-on-role when necessary, including serving in interim department director roles and acting as city manager when needed.
A variety of plans are offered through CalPERS. The City contributes up to $1,200 per month to active employees, and the employee pays the difference.
City-paid for employee and dependents.
Health Coverage Reduction Incentive
Employees with less than full family coverage for health, dental, and vision may receive incentive pay of $75 - $250 per month.
Management: up to 80 hours per fiscal year
Sick Leave: 12 sick days per year
Vacation: 15 days first year, progresses up to 27 days based upon years of service
Holidays: 10 paid holidays per yearRetirement-CalPERS (In accordance with Public Employees’ Retirement Law)
2% @ 55 (Classic ) Employees: Current CalPERS members or former CalPERS members without a break of service of more than 180 days.
2% @ 62 (PEPRA) Employees: Hired on or after January 1, 2013 with no prior member-ship with a California public retirement system or not eligible for reciprocity.
Rocklin offers optional programs for employee participation - 457 and/or 401(a) plans.
Life Insurance and AD&D: City paid $50,000
Long-Term Disability: Coverage is 60% of monthly salary up to $6,000 per month; after a 90-day waiting
period (City paid).
Recruitment Schedule (Tentative)
Applicants will be screened against the minimum qualifications.
Applicants with relevant qualifications will be invited to a preliminary interview. Candidates deemed best qualified will be invited to participate in the interview and selection activities.
Applicants are encouraged to apply online. This recruitment will accept applications until August 1, 2021.