"To serve, protect, and promote a safe community."
First application review will be August 27, 2021.
If needed, the second application review will be September 22, 2021.
Under administrative direction of the City Manager, the Police Chief plans, directs, manages, and oversees the activities and operations of the Police Department; coordinates assigned activities with other City departments and outside agencies; builds and maintains relationships with the community utilizing the principles of community policing; provides expert professional assistance to the City Council, City Manager, and others; and performs related duties as assigned.
The Police Chief will build upon the Police Department’s foundation of teamwork, community connection, and common purpose and advance the department toward higher use of community policing, data-driven decision-making, and innovative practices.
***VIEW THE FULL JOB BROCHURE BY CLICKING ON THE PDF DOCUMENT BELOW***
The City of Rocklin seeks a Police Chief with a passion for inspirational leadership and community collaboration and who will bring a fresh perspective to the department. The next Police Chief will be a strategic leader who embraces partnerships and leverages those relationships to implement the department's mission and vision. The Police Chief must be an active practitioner of community-oriented policing and problem solving, and have a demonstrated history of building and maintaining partnerships between their respective department and communities to address crime and quality of life challenges. The successful candidate will be an exceptional communicator with a demonstrated ability to collaborate with other agency departments, staff, and a wide array of community organizations and individuals. The ideal candidate will have the ability to lead with integrity, confidence, and proactively address issues through an intellectual, data-driven, and respectful approach.
In addition to the qualifications above, the ideally qualified candidate will also:
- Leverage the strengths of both sworn and professional staff to continue building a spirit of teamwork and common purpose.
- Possess a balance of “big picture” perspective and a focus on “day-to-day” operations, while driving a true community-oriented focus throughout the department.
- Possess exceptional leadership and people skills, and be able to work with and establish relationships with the City's numerous stakeholders including the City's executive team, elected officials, business owners, and other members of the community.
- Be able to provide hands-on leadership to encourage and motivate the department.
- Be comfortable in a public-facing role; and participate as appropriate in community activities while knowing the appropriate times to serve in a support function.
- Have the highest level of ethics; be able to create an environment of trust and respect; and be a person of humility.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the municipal chain of command and effectively manage expectations of the City Manager and City Council.
- Welcome input and embrace varying perspectives; be forward thinking; and be fair and open-minded.
- Exemplify community policing and set the tone and direction for the department on working with the public and other stakeholders.
- Have strong budgetary skills, as well as the ability to access grants and other external funding to support the department’s operations.
The annual salary range for the Police Chief is $164,658-$226,981*. Actual salary will be dependent on the experience and qualifications of the successful candidate. In addition to the competitive salary, the City offers an attractive benefits package.
A variety of plans are offered through CalPERS. The City contributes up to $1,200 per month to active employees, and the employee pays the difference. $150/month cafeteria plan contribution beginning in January 2022.
Dental and Vision
City-paid for active employee and dependents.
The City contributes up to $1,200 per month for post-retirement medical insurance premium costs.
Management Leave: Up to 80 hours per year
Sick Leave: 12 days per year
Vacation: 15 days first year, progresses up to 27 days based upon years of service
Holidays: 10 paid holidays per year
CalPERS Pension (in accordance with Public Employees' Retirement Law)
2.7% @ 57 (PEPRA)
3% @ 50 (Classic)
Life Insurance and AD&D: City paid $200,000
Cell Phone Allowance
$75 per month
*Salary pending adoption by City Council
A copy of your bachelor's degree and POST Management Certificate must be uploaded at the time of application.