FINAL FILING DATE: We are accepting the first 50 qualified applications or closing at 5 pm, March 8, 2018; whichever occurs first.
IT IS MANDATORY THAT YOU COMPLETE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE. YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE REJECTED IF YOU DO NOT PROVIDE ALL NECESSARY INFORMATION.
The Human Resources Department is accepting applications to develop an employment list for the regular and full-time position of Parks Project Technician in the Parks, Recreation & Libraries Department. The primary focus of this position is to perform routine inspection of park construction projects, park/streetscape rehabilitation projects and street median and landscapes. Projects may be managed by the Department, other City departments, private developers and/or contract partners.
The normal work schedule will be 7:00 am to 3:30 pm Monday – Friday.
The City of Roseville promotes a no smoking atmosphere.
To perform a variety of duties involving the inspection of construction contract work related to workmanship and materials of the development and improvement of City parks projects, including capital improvement projects and streetscapes; to inspect community facilities districts for service and lighting and landscape (special) districts related to landscape installation/maintenance contractor agreements; and to assure compliance with City, state and federal codes/regulations and other standards.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives general supervision from an assigned supervisor.
May exercise direct supervision over lower level parks maintenance staff.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES - Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Perform inspections during all phases of work of a variety of City capital parks and landscape construction and rehabilitation projects to ensure conformity with City standards and local, State and Federal code and requirements; confirm compliance with safety and accessibility codes and laws.
- Inspect parks, golf courses and streetscapes including medians, irrigation systems and plantings, green-belt areas and related structures and appurtenances; confirm soils testing results relative to construction viability and underground utilities location.
- Schedule and monitor testing of irrigation systems including, but not limited to, cross connection testing; irrigation coverage testing; irrigation controller and booster pump installation, irrigation water audits,
- Inspect park and landscape amenities during construction such as playground safety requirements, construction materials standards/quality including trees and plants, overall workmanship, compliance with City standards and contract terms.
- Coordinate with other city required inspections and code compliance requirements, establishment of new parks and landscapes and project acceptance criteria for maintenance.
- Confer with contractors and developer representatives regarding conformance of standards, plans, specifications and codes; explain requirements and evaluate alternatives.
- Ensure maintenance, removal, and installation of City maintained landscapes according to authorized special districts’ hearing reports; investigate complaints and work collaboratively with residents regarding a variety of concerns, including irrigation schedules, potential hazards and code compliance.
- Conduct routine inspections related to installed landscaping/vegetation conditions including checking of hydration levels, irrigation functionality, and water conservation requirements; implement corrective measures including removal and/or replacement of landscaping and irrigation.
- Oversee contracted construction and/or maintenance services, authorize work and associated payments within scope of authority; approve minor change orders to ensure quality of work within scheduling or budget constraints.
- Prepare, maintain and submit project inspection and/or quality assurance reports in a timely and routine manner for use by contractors and project managers in order to facilitate on-going monitoring of schedules and progress; attend regular on-site meetings during preconstruction/construction/landscaping installation and on an ongoing-basis during project(s) life cycle.
- Plan check maps, construction plans, and changes; prepare and present plan review comments throughout project cycle from first review to final approval to ensure compliance with standards and construction plan interpretation.
- Prepare reports as required; maintain accurate and up-to-date records and digital files related to inspection activities and/or contract compliance reviews.
- Use a personal computer, or other hand held communication devices to enter and retrieve information related to work assignments, other record keeping, and electronic communication.
- Work cooperatively with contractors to ensure understanding of and compliance with City and other mandated standards and/or service levels.
- Collaborate with various underground public and private utilities to ensure no/or limited damage to City park and landscape areas as a result of development or system modifications; ensure that any related landscape/irrigation damage is repaired in a timely manner.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees and the public using principles of good customer service.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Principles, practices, methods, materials, equipment and safety requirements of construction inspection.
- Materials, methods, principles and practices used in public works construction, including encroachment, grading, landscape installation, traffic control, water quality, public safety, maintenance and systematic inspection of park areas/related facilities and landscaping/irrigation system installation and maintenance.
- Pertinent local, State, and Federal codes, rules, regulations and laws.
- Materials sampling and testing procedures.
- Plan check review including construction plans or other documents related to park construction and landscape and irrigation design and maintenance.
- Basic computer applications.
- Safety work practices and procedures.
- Principles and procedures of record keeping.
- Inspect construction contract work related to the development and improvement of City capital parks projects and/or inspect special districts for landscape maintenance contractor agreements.
- On a continuous basis, know and understand park and landscape construction/installation inspection activities and observe safety rules; intermittently, analyze drawings, plans, and specifications; explain rules and requirements to others.
- Intermittently sit while driving; stand, walk, bend, or squat while performing inspection activities; perform simple and power grasping, pushing, pulling, and fine manipulation; and lift or carry weight of 50 pounds or less.
- Read, interpret, and apply information from construction documents related to park construction/landscape plans.
- Detect faulty materials or work in park construction/landscaping installation and maintenance activities.
- Read, interpret and enforce contract provisions related to park construction and landscape installation and maintenance.
- Develop and maintain records and files related to inspection and contract compliance activities.
- Keep records and prepare reports; use a personal computer to enter and retrieve data, track work order status, and communicate electronically.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing with contractors, developers and city staff.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
Experience and Training
- Two years of experience in parks construction trades, maintenance of the green industry or commercial landscaping, contract management, construction inspection or related field.
- Equivalent to completion of the twelfth grade. Specialized training or course work in construction technology, landscape development, contract management or a related field is desirable.
License or Certificate
- Possession of a valid California driver’s license by date of appointment.
1. Your response to question 3, the applicant’s education, training and experience, will be scored using a pre-determined formula. Your responses to these questions must be consistent with your employment application information. This experience must also be described in the “Work Experience" section of this application. Responses to the supplemental questionnaire that are inconsistent from your “Work Experience” section in the application will not be scored. I understand and agree with the above instructions.
2. Was any of the work experience listed on your application an unpaid internship, or volunteer work? If so, please list below which ones.
3. How many years of experience do you have in parks construction trades, maintenance of the green industry or commercial landscaping, contract management, construction inspection or related field.
- Less than 2 years
- 2-3 years
- 3-4 years
- 4-5 years
- 5-6 years
- 6+ years
4. This position will focus on parks and landscape construction inspection for the City of Roseville Parks, Recreation & Libraries Department. List at least 3 reasons why you feel you are the most qualified person for this position. For each of the reasons on your list, give an example where you have had opportunities to excel in these areas.
5. This position requires knowledge of standard construction techniques and practices. The position also requires that the successful candidate interpret plans and specifications to ensure successful project completion. List key components/techniques you have utilized (be specific) in the field in order to ensure that the completed project is a quality project that is on time and on budget.
6. This position requires good verbal and written communications skills. What steps would you take in handling a non-cooperative contractor? In contrast, how would you handle an unhappy park resident?
7. What are your strengths and weakness when it comes to skills needed to be successful in this position?
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications will have their application scored in a Formula Rate Examination. The applicant’s experience and education will be evaluated using a pre-determined formula. Scores from this evaluation will determine applicant ranking and placement on the Employment List. Supplemental questions will be utilized by the department hiring authority to make interview and selection determinations. Final appointment is contingent upon a check of past employment references, passing a City-paid fingerprint check and depending on position applied for a pre-employment medical exam and a drug and alcohol screening test.
THE CITY OF ROSEVILLE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. IF YOU REQUIRE AN ACCOMMODATION DUE TO A DISABILITY, PLEASE CONTACT THE HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT LEAST 5 WORKING DAYS BEFORE A SCHEDULED INTERVIEW/EXAMINATION PROCESS. MEDICAL DISABILITY VERIFICATION MAY BE REQUIRED PRIOR TO ACCOMMODATION.