FINAL FILING DATE: We are accepting the first 50 qualified applications or closing at 5 pm, February 28, 2018; whichever occurs first. PERS retired annuitants are not eligible to apply.
IT IS MANDATORY THAT YOU COMPLETE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE. YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE REJECTED IF YOU DO NOT PROVIDE ALL NECESSARY INFORMATION.
The Human Resources Department is accepting applications for the temporary and part-time position of Fitness Instructor in the Parks, Recreation & Libraries Department. The normal work schedule will vary and may include evenings and weekends.
The City of Roseville promotes a no smoking atmosphere.
To perform a variety of duties related to teaching and instructing high intensity physical fitness classes.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES - Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Supervise, coordinate and lead fitness exercise classes.
- Assist in planning, promoting, conducting and evaluating recreation programs and activities.
- Interact and stimulate interest while conducting, demonstrating and supervising program activities such as aerobic, non-aerobic and strength training activities or water fitness program activities for groups and/or individuals.
- Inspect assigned recreation facilities and/or equipment and recommend any necessary repair or maintenance work and supply needs.
- Set up facility as needed for assigned program activity.
- Complete records and reports as required.
- Promote and enforce safety procedures; render first aid and CPR, if certified, as required.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees, and the public using principles of good customer service.
- Perform related duties as assigned
- Knowledge of:
- Principles and practices of physical fitness, aerobic exercise and personal training.
- Practices and methods of public relations and customer service; techniques and principles of effective interpersonal communication.
- Methods and principles in instructing individuals or groups of children, teens, or adults.
- Principles and techniques of first aid and CPR respiration.
- Principles and practices of safety management.
- On a continuous basis, know and understand operations and observe safety rules; stand, bend, stoop, kneel as necessary to instruct a high intensity physical fitness class.
- Intermittently interpret policies and procedures, and explain operations and problem solve issues for the public and with staff; lift or carry weight of 45 pounds or less.
- Lead and motivate large group classes.
- Respond to emergency situations in a calm and effective manner; administer first aid and CPR, if certified.
- Understand and carry out written and oral directions.
- Communicate tactfully with customers.
- Communicate effectively and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Experience and Training
- Six months of experience as an instructor in group exercise or personal training, preferred.
- Equivalent to completion of the twelfth (12th) grade, GED, or higher level degree.
License or Certificate
- Possession of CPR and First Aid certificates within six months of hire.
- Possession of a national certification from an accredited fitness association such as ACE, AFAA, or AEA in group exercise or personal training within six months of hire. Or a Bachelor’s degree with emphasis in exercise-related studies.
1. Please list you current national fitness instructor certification(s).
2. What formats are you qualified/certified to teach?
3. Please list your current availability.
4. Are you interested in becoming a fitness substitute instructor?
Applications will be screened by the Human Resources Department for minimum qualifications. Qualifying applicants may be contacted by the Department to interview. Final appointment is contingent upon a check of past employment references, passing a City-paid fingerprint check and depending on position applied for a pre-employment medical exam and a drug and alcohol screening test.
THE CITY OF ROSEVILLE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. IF YOU REQUIRE AN ACCOMMODATION DUE TO A DISABILITY, PLEASE CONTACT THE HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT LEAST 5 WORKING DAYS BEFORE A SCHEDULED INTERVIEW/EXAMINATION PROCESS. MEDICAL DISABILITY VERIFICATION MAY BE REQUIRED PRIOR TO ACCOMMODATION.