FINAL FILING DATE: This position is open until filled. PERS retired annuitants are not eligible to apply.
TECHNICAL ASSESSMENT: TBD
IT IS MANDATORY THAT YOU COMPLETE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE. YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE REJECTED IF YOU DO NOT PROVIDE ALL NECESSARY INFORMATION.
The Human Resources Department is accepting applications for the temporary and part-time position of Tree Trimmer in the Parks, Recreation and Libraries Department. The work schedule will vary and may include evenings and weekends. This position is limited to 1,500 hours per fiscal year.
The City of Roseville promotes a no smoking atmosphere.
To perform semi- skilled and skilled duties in the trimming, maintenance, and planting of City trees.
This class is distinguished from the Senior Tree Trimmer in that the latter performs advanced level work and provides technical and functional supervision to assigned staff.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives general supervision from an assigned supervisor and receives technical and functional supervision from the Senior Tree Trimmer.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES - Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Using aerial lift and through skilled climbing, trim and prune trees to provide clearance of streets, sidewalks, signs and lights as well as to ensure the continued health of the trees.
- Perform ground trimming using pole saws and hydraulic loppers; remove fallen trees, stumps, fallen limbs and related debris; perform stump grinding duties.
- Plant, spray, stake and maintain trees on City owned property and in the public right-of–way.
- Operate tree trimming and maintenance equipment such as boom trucks, chippers, stump grinder, dump trucks, and power tools, such as chain saws and hydraulic loppers.
- Inspect open space for hazards; respond to requests and inquiries from the general public.
- Identify equipment needs for each assigned project.
- Utilize proper safety precautions related to work performed.
- Work multiple shifts during emergencies, seasonally caused circumstances, or special projects in varying climate and temperature conditions.
- Perform general park maintenance work when not assigned to tree trimming duties.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees and the public using principles of good customer service.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Safe work practices.
- Methods and techniques used in tree trimming and maintenance.
- ISA standards for tree planting and pruning.
- Uses and purposes of tools and equipment related to tree trimming and maintenance.
- Perform skilled tree trimming and maintenance work; climb trees at heights necessary to perform trimming activities.
- On a continuous basis, know and understand tree trimming and removal operations; observe safety rules.
- Intermittently, sit at a desk while studying or preparing reports; twist to reach equipment or materials; stand, walk, balance, stoop, kneel, climb, crawl, and bend while performing tree trimming and removal duties; perform simple grasping and fine manipulation; and lift or carry weight of 50 pounds or less.
- Use and operate vehicular and stationary mechanical equipment, hand power tools, mechanical equipment, and equipment required for the work in a safe and efficient manner.
- Prepare and maintain simple records of activities.
- Perform heavy physical labor.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
Experience and Training
- One year of increasingly responsible experience performing tree trimming and maintenance duties, including demonstrated ability to climb trees.
- Equivalent to completion of the twelfth (12th) grade, GED, or higher level degree.
License or Certificate
- Possession of a valid California class B driver's license by date of application.
1. Describe in detail your experience in the tree care industry including your knowledge and understanding of the following: pruning, planting, plant health care, climbing, equipment use, and conducting tree inventories. If you have municipal experience please describe.
2. Are you an ISA Certified Arborist and/or ISA Tree Worker Climber Specialist? If so, what certificates do you hold and for how long have you held the certificate.
3. Describe a high function team and what you believed to be the key components necessary in developing such a team?
4. Do you possess a valid California Class A or B drivers license? If yes, please list the expiration date.
5. This is a non-benefitted, part time position. Would you still like to be considered for this position?
Applications will be screened by the Human Resources Department for minimum qualifications. Qualifying applicants may be contacted by the Department to participate in a Technical Assessment. Candidates who successfully pass the assessment may be contacted by the Department to interview. Final appointment is contingent upon a check of past employment references, passing a City-paid fingerprint check and depending on position applied for a pre-employment medical exam and a drug and alcohol screening test.
THE CITY OF ROSEVILLE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. IF YOU REQUIRE AN ACCOMMODATION DUE TO A DISABILITY, PLEASE CONTACT THE HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT LEAST 5 WORKING DAYS BEFORE A SCHEDULED INTERVIEW/EXAMINATION PROCESS. MEDICAL DISABILITY VERIFICATION MAY BE REQUIRED PRIOR TO ACCOMMODATION.