FINAL FILING DATE: Open Until Filled
IT IS MANDATORY THAT YOU COMPLETE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE. YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE REJECTED IF YOU DO NOT PROVIDE ALL NECESSARY INFORMATION.
The Human Resources Department is accepting applications for the regular and full-time position of Electric Utility Financial Administrator in the Electric Department. The normal work schedule is Monday through Friday, 8 am – 5 pm; a flex schedule may be available.
The City of Roseville promotes a no smoking atmosphere.
To plan, organize, direct and supervise activities associated with financial planning, reporting, forecasting, and customer information services within the Electric Department; to manage rate design and analysis and load research and forecasting activities; to coordinate and monitor department budget; and to perform a variety of technical tasks relative to assigned area of responsibility.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
- Receives general direction from an Assistant Electric Utility Director.
- Exercises direct supervision over assigned professional staff, technical and administrative staff.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES - Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Recommend and implement goals and objectives; establish performance standards and methods for financial planning, forecasting and customer information services activities; develop and implement policies and procedures.
- Plan, develop and oversee the work of staff involved in complex analyses and reporting as required by City and outside agencies including rate design and analysis, load research, load and revenue forecasting and budgeting, debt management, financial accounting and reporting and data management.
- Evaluate operations and activities of assigned responsibilities; recommend improvements and modifications; prepare various reports on operations and activities.
- Serve as liaison to City Finance department regarding complex utility related financial and accounting activities.
- Coordinate and participate in budget preparation and administration; prepare cost and revenue estimates for budget recommendations; submit justifications for staffing, equipment, material and supplies; monitor and control expenditures, transfers and adjustments; monitor and revise budget expense and revenue forecasts.
- Participate in the selection of staff; provide or coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies; implement discipline procedures as directed.
- Manage customer rate analysis, rate design and rate planning activities; recommend rate changes as supported by statistical data collection and analysis; develop and implement rate and billing auditing and quality control procedures; design new billing practices to comply with new regulations.
- Manage the preparation of the utility’s short and long-term annual, quarterly and monthly financial plans and results; develop and present long term financial and rate plans to executive management, the public and City Council.
- In coordination with and under the direction of the City’s Finance Department, provide support for electric utility related financial accounting activities and reporting; provide support for accurate preparation of the utility’s annual financial report, City’s Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) and other financial reporting activities.
- In coordination with executive staff, respond to credit rating agency inquiries; monitor and report on utility’s compliance with City Council and bond covenant financial criteria; evaluate and report on debt restructuring proposals.
- Develop and maintain the systems and processes to evaluate and prepare statistical, financial, utility billing and demographic data for use in staff reports, studies, surveys and complex analysis.
- Develop and manage RFPs; initiate, negotiate and maintain consulting contracts; develop and maintain stable and long term business relationships with third party service providers and industry contacts.
- Participate in the compilation and submission of regulatory compliance reports.
- Coordinate and oversee electric billing data warehousing activities; implement and manage associated and supporting information systems and processes.
- Oversee research, testing, management and implementation of data and software system resources and products for electricity load and revenue forecasting, load research, business analytics and associated processes.
- Research and analyze legislation that affects public electric utilities.
- Answer questions and provide information to the public; investigate complaints and recommend corrective action as necessary to resolve complaints.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees and the public using principles of good customer service.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Principles and practices of financial administration, including budgeting, financial reporting, and accounting.
- Advanced principles and practices of electric utility rate research, design, implementation and cost of service analysis.
- Advanced principles and practices of load and revenue forecasting, load research, and applied statistics.
- Advanced principles and practices of utility cost of service, overhead allocation and indirect cost allocation modeling.
- Governmental fund accounting processes and systems.
- Principles and practices of economic modeling including project cost-benefit analysis, return on investment, internal rate of return and net present value calculations and methodologies.
- Modern office procedures, methods and computer equipment.
- Principles and practices of research analysis and management.
- Principles and practices of supervision, training and performance evaluations.
- Principles and practices of budget monitoring.
- Principles and practices of safety management.
- Pertinent local, State and Federal laws, ordinances and rules.
- Organize, implement and direct financial and customer information services activities of the Electric Department.
- On a continuous basis, know and understand all aspects of the job; intermittently analyze work papers, reports and special projects; identify and interpret technical and numerical information; observe and problem solve operational and technical policy and procedures.
- On a continuous basis, sit at desk for long periods of time; intermittently twist to reach equipment surrounding desk; perform simple grasping and fine manipulation; use telephone, write or use a keyboard to communicate through written means; and lift or carry weight of 10 pounds or less.
- Interpret and explain pertinent rate design and forecasting results and department policies and procedures; make related public presentations.
- Develop, implement, coordinate and monitor a complex budget.
- Apply macro and microeconomic variables to electric financial activities.
- Coordinate and monitor department budget.
- Develop and recommend policies and procedures related to assigned operations.
- Supervise, train and evaluate assigned staff.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Experience and Training
Five years of increasingly responsible experience in utility related financial accounting, reporting, budgeting, analysis and/or rate design, including two years of direct supervisory responsibility. Experience in electric utility industry, regulatory accounting, ratemaking, or customer account analysis is desirable.
A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, preferably with major course work in accounting, business administration, public administration, economics, mathematics or a related field.
License or Certificate
- Possession of a valid California driver’s license by date of appointment.
- Possession of a certified public accountant license preferred.
1. Your responses to questions 2-8, the applicant’s education, training and experience, will be scored using a pre-determined formula. Your responses to these questions must be consistent with your employment application information. This experience must also be described in the “Work Experience" section of this application. Responses to the supplemental questionnaire that are inconsistent from your “Work Experience” section in the application will not be scored. I understand and agree with the above instructions.
2. Was any of the work experience listed on your application an unpaid internship, or volunteer work? If so, please list below which ones.
3. How many years of experience do you have in utility related financial accounting, reporting, budgeting, analysis and/or rate design?
Less than 5 years
4. Please list any relevant certifications you possess. Please attach copies of these certifications to your application.
5. Please describe your experience with financial planning and/or budgeting. What can an entity like Roseville Electric do to ensure financial stability?
6. Please describe your experience with, or knowledge of, utility or other accounting practices and financial reporting.
7. Please describe your experience working with credit rating agencies, auditors, and financial advisors. How can Roseville develop and maintain good working relationships with these entities?
8. Please describe your supervisory and management experience.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications will have their application scored in a Formula Rate Examination. The applicant’s experience and education will be evaluated using a pre-determined formula. Scores from this evaluation will determine applicant ranking and placement on the Employment List. Supplemental questions will be utilized by the department hiring authority to make interview and selection determinations. Final appointment is contingent upon a check of past employment references, passing a City-paid fingerprint check and depending on position applied for a pre-employment medical exam and a drug and alcohol screening test.
THE CITY OF ROSEVILLE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. IF YOU REQUIRE AN ACCOMMODATION DUE TO A DISABILITY, PLEASE CONTACT THE HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT LEAST 5 WORKING DAYS BEFORE A SCHEDULED INTERVIEW/EXAMINATION PROCESS. MEDICAL DISABILITY VERIFICATION MAY BE REQUIRED PRIOR TO ACCOMMODATION.
Please attach copies of any relevant certifications you possess to your application.