FINAL FILING DATE: We are accepting the first 50 qualified applications or closing at 5 pm, July 25, 2018; whichever occurs first. PERS retired annuitants are not eligible to apply.
IT IS MANDATORY THAT YOU COMPLETE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE. YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE REJECTED IF YOU DO NOT PROVIDE ALL NECESSARY INFORMATION.
The Human Resources Department is accepting applications for the temporary position of Finance Technician II in the Finance Department. The normal work schedule is Monday through Friday 7:30 am – 4:30 pm, a flex schedule may be available.
The City of Roseville promotes a no smoking atmosphere.
To perform a variety of complex and specialized accounting duties in an assigned functional area of responsibility; to function as a liaison between the Finance Department, citizens, and other City departments by answering questions and solving complicated and/or sensitive problems; and to perform a variety of technical tasks relative to assigned area of responsibility.
This is the journey level class in the Finance Technician series and is distinguished from the I level by the ability to perform the full range of duties assigned with only occasional instruction or assistance as unusual or unique situations arise. Positions in this class are flexibly staffed and are normally filled by advancement from the I level.
This class is distinguished from that of the Senior Finance Technician in that the latter is an advanced journey level class responsible for highly complex technical accounting related work and exercises technical and functional supervision over assigned staff.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
- Receives general supervision from assigned management or supervisory staff; and may receive technical and functional supervision from a Senior Finance Technician.
- May exercise technical and functional supervision over lower level finance staff as appropriate.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES - Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Perform specialized and detailed work in the review and processing of various financial records and related materials; ensure the integrity of data and information related to area of assignment which may include cash management, utility billing/customer service, accounts payable/receivable and/or consolidated billing.
- Receive, research and resolve discrepancies related to cash management, utility billing/customer service, accounts payable/receivable and/or consolidated billing; receive, research and respond to inquiries from other departments, vendors, and customers.
- Analyze and reconcile a variety of journals, accounts, reports and records; to prepare, process, and maintain accounting system records, and transactions.
- Prepare journal entries and general ledger reconciliations and perform month and year-end closing of accounting records; assist with budget development and monitoring.
- Balance financial information system controls; balance and post financial transactions to ledgers and sub-ledgers and reconcile to the accounting system; and balance various other financial transactions with source documents and controls.
- Administer and train new users on document management/retention automated systems.
- Prepare, compile, tabulate and maintain data and complex documents; assist with preparing technical financial, statistical and operational reports, statements and records.
- Respond to inquiries from the public in person, by telephone, and/or in writing, regarding areas of responsibility and initiate appropriate action to resolve problems.
- Research and answer employee and City departments’ inquiries regarding the status of accounts and payments, including proper transaction coding and related matters.
- Plan, prioritize, and review the work of staff assigned to a variety of clerical accounting functions, as assigned.
- Develop schedules and methods to accomplish assignments ensuring work is completed in a timely and efficient manner, as assigned.
- Participate in evaluating the activities of staff, recommending improvements and modifications, as assigned.
- Provide and coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies, as assigned.
- Serve as administrator for a variety of software; add and delete users; and coordinate with software vendor for the resolution of issues.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees and the public using principles of good customer service
- Perform related work as required.
- Practices, methods, and terminology used in financial and statistical record keeping.
- Principles and practices of routine analytical research.
- Customer service principles and problem resolution techniques.
- Modern office practices and procedures, computer equipment and software applications related to financial accounting.
- Business letter writing and report preparation
- Pertinent local, State and Federal laws, ordinances, rules and regulations.
- Governmental accounting and reporting practices, especially as applied to municipal organizations.
- Principles and practices of technical and functional supervision and training.
- Perform difficult and responsible technical work involving financial and related statistical record keeping.
- On a continuous basis, know and understand all aspects of the job. Intermittently analyze work papers, reports and special projects; research, identify and interpret technical and numerical information; observe and problem solve operational and technical policy and procedures.
- On a continuous basis, sit at a desk for long periods of time. Intermittently twist to reach equipment surrounding desk; perform simple grasping and fine manipulation; use telephone, and write or use keyboard to communicate through written means; and lift or carry weight of 10 pounds or less.
- Prepare, process, review, and check submitted accounting and financial documents, records, and forms for accuracy, completeness and conformance to applicable policies, rules, and regulations.
- Research and compile technical and financial information.
- Operate a personal computer for data entry, inquiry, and report generation.
- Maintain confidentiality of a wide range of sensitive information.
- Make accurate mathematical calculations.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain cooperative relations with those contacted during the course of work.
- Independently perform difficult and responsible technical work involving financial and related statistical record keeping.
- Respond to and assist in resolving difficult and/or sensitive inquiries related to financial accounting records and processes.
- Organize, assign and review the work of staff engaged in a variety of clerical accounting duties, as assigned.
Experience and Training
Two years of responsible experience performing duties comparable to that of a Finance Technician I in the City of Roseville (perform a variety of complex and specialized accounting duties in an assigned functional area of responsibility; to function as a liaison between the Finance Department, citizens, and other City departments by answering questions and solving complicated and/or sensitive problems; and to perform a variety of technical tasks relative to assigned area of responsibility).
An Associate’s degree or 60 semester units of college level course work including 18 units in a major field of study and 21 units in general education from an accredited college or university, preferably in accounting, finance or related field. Two years of related work experience can substitute for an Associate’s Degree.
License or Certificate
Possession of a valid California Driver’s License by date of appointment.
1. Please describe your experience in analyzing and reconciling various accounts and transactions.
2. Please describe your experience in reconciling and preparing various quarterly or annual reports.
3. Please describe your experience working for a government agency.
Applications will be screened by the Human Resources Department for minimum qualifications. Qualifying applicants may be contacted by the Department to interview. Final appointment is contingent upon a check of past employment references, passing a City-paid fingerprint check and depending on position applied for a pre-employment medical exam and a drug and alcohol screening test.
THE CITY OF ROSEVILLE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. IF YOU REQUIRE AN ACCOMMODATION DUE TO A DISABILITY, PLEASE CONTACT THE HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT LEAST 5 WORKING DAYS BEFORE A SCHEDULED INTERVIEW/EXAMINATION PROCESS. MEDICAL DISABILITY VERIFICATION MAY BE REQUIRED PRIOR TO ACCOMMODATION.
Please note: If you don’t have an Associate’s Degree and you would like to be considered for an Associate’s degree equivalency you must attach your college transcripts to your application in the space provided.