FINAL FILING DATE: We are accepting applications on a continuous basis. PERS retired annuitants are not eligible to apply.
The Human Resources Department is accepting applications for the temporary and part-time position of Day Care Aide in the Parks, Recreation & Libraries Department. Under immediate supervision of the Child Care Site Coordinator, plans, implements and teaches age appropriate activities and/or programs for elementary age children at assigned City day care facilities; and performs related work as required. The normal work schedule will be weekdays between the hours of 6:15 a.m. and 6:15 p.m., Monday through Friday. This position is limited to 25 hours per week for a maximum of 1,000 hours per fiscal year. This position is for year-round employment.
To perform a variety of duties related to assisting with programs at assigned day care facilities.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES - Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist with program activities such as sports, games, special events, arts and crafts, drama, and social activities.
- Maintain positive student and parent relationships.
- Assist in maintaining a safe, clean, and orderly classroom environment.
- Notify appropriate staff of any problems with regard to site maintenance, children and parents and make recommendations as necessary.
- Promote and enforce safety procedures including proper use of playground equipment; render first aid and CPR, if certified, as required.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees, and the public using principles of good customer service.
- Perform related duties as assigned
- Practices and methods of public relations and customer service; techniques and principles of effective interpersonal communication.
- Principles and techniques of first aid and CPR.
- On a continuous basis, know and understand operations and observe safety rules; walk to supervise children; stand for long periods of time; interpret, understand and follow policies and procedures, and explain operations and problem solve issues for the public and with staff.
- Intermittently set up booths, hang banners, move tables, chairs and carry supplies; participate with children on field trips, perform exercises with children; lift or carry weight of 45 pounds or less.
- Supervise children on playground.
- Establish positive and professional relationships with children, co-workers and parents.
- Understand and translate City policies and practices into everyday working practices; make sound decisions with solid problem solving methods.
- Respond to emergency situations in a calm and effective manner; administer first aid and CPR, if certified.
- Learn to identify problems regarding the facility and programs; refer difficult problems/irregularities for more advanced attention and recommend possible solutions.
- Understand and carry out written and oral directions.
- Maintain accurate and up to date records.
- Work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
- Communicate tactfully with customers.
- Communicate effectively and concisely, both orally and in writing.
Experience and Training
- Previous experience as a volunteer leader or participant in various recreation, child oriented, athletic or related activities is desirable, but not mandatory.
- Equivalent to completion of the twelfth (12th) grade, GED, or higher level degree or current participation in an occupational program conducted by an accredited high school or college.
License or Certificate
- Possession of CPR and First Aid certificates within six (6) months of hire.
1. Are you a current CalPERS member? A current CalPERS member is someone who has funds on deposit with CalPERS.
Applications will be screened by the Human Resources Department for minimum qualifications. Qualifying applicants may be contacted by the Department to interview. Final appointment is contingent upon a check of past employment references, passing a City-paid fingerprint check and depending on position applied for a pre-employment medical exam and a drug and alcohol screening test.