FINAL FILING DATE: Open Until Filled First cut-off is Friday, March 27, 2020.
IT IS MANDATORY THAT YOU COMPLETE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE. YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE REJECTED IF YOU DO NOT PROVIDE ALL NECESSARY INFORMATION.
The Human Resources Department is accepting applications for the Regular and full-time position of Senior Electric Business Analyst in the Electric Department. The current vacancy is in the Electric Technology Systems Division. The normal work schedule is Monday through Friday, 8:00 am –5:00 pm; a flex schedule may be available.
This position will be assigned to the Electric Technology Systems Division. This position will lead an internal group to serve as a liaison between Electric Department business operations and technology system development, implementation, and operation. Specifically, it will responsible for eliciting business and functional system requirements, business process change management, contract and vendor management, designing and managing internal data repositories, system configuration, customization, and testing.
The City of Roseville promotes a no smoking atmosphere.
The City of Roseville (COR) incorporates the following Core Competencies as part of the City’s culture:
- Focus on people: Develop and deliver service-oriented solutions that meet or exceed expectations.
- Build trust: Ensure honesty and integrity to gain confidence and support of others.
- Ensure accountability: Take responsibility for the outcomes of one’s own work and foster a sense of ownership in others.
- Communicate effectively: Deliver clear, concise messages and actively listen to ideas and questions.
- Collaborate inclusively: Build effective working partnerships, alliances, and teams.
- Make quality decisions: Make sound, timely decisions and recommendations.
- Be adaptable/agile: Change approach or methods to best fit the situation and effectively balance competing priorities.
To organize, assign and review the work of assigned personnel engaged in the performance of complex professional analytical work in support of a variety of Electric Department projects and programs including financial and system data analysis; to perform duties requiring specialized knowledge; and to provide administrative support to assigned supervisor.
This is the advanced journey level in the Electric Business Analyst series. Positions at this level are distinguished from other classes within the series by the level of responsibility assumed, complexity of duties assigned, independence of action taken, by the amount of time spent performing the duties, and by the nature of the public contact made. Employees perform the most difficult and responsible types of duties assigned to classes within this series, including providing technical and functional supervision over assigned personnel and perform complex professional analytical work in support of internal and external customers. Employees at this level are required to be fully trained in all procedures related to assigned areas of responsibility.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
- Receives direction from an assigned supervisor.
- Exercises direct supervision over lower level professional and technical staff.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES - Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Plan, prioritize, assign, supervise and review the work of professional staff assigned to complex professional analytical duties in support of internal and external customer programs.
- Develop schedules and methods to accomplish assignments ensuring work is completed in a timely and efficient manner.
- Participate in the selection of staff; provide or coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies; implement discipline procedures.
- Participate in and review complex cost of service analysis and rate design studies in the development of retail rate options.
- Design, implement, modify, and manage complex databases used to input and extract data and prepare regular and custom reports; design, upgrade, and ensure successful migrations to and from various computer programs; update data and ensure maintenance of accurate data.
- Create statistical models for long-term load and revenue forecasting using specialized software; identify trends in market forces that impact energy use or demand; incorporate energy modeling techniques and new end-users that could impact energy delivery.
- Develop, modify and maintain models for forecasting revenue requirements and cost of services; assist in developing rate structures.
- Perform financial modeling and analysis to evaluate project economics; prepare statistical, feasibility and sensitivity analysis.
- Conduct market assessments, including evaluation of customer base and competitive forces in the market place, demand-side analysis and planning, power supply, risk assessment, and business planning.
- Perform project management, for the more complex projects, from inception to completion; plan, lead, organize, and control project deliverables, schedules, and budgets.
- Research and prepare recommendations regarding proposed legislation, regulatory changes, litigation, and current trends that affect the City’s rate design and implementation.
- Develop recommendations for new, or changes to existing programs or processes to improve efficiency and responsiveness.
- Ensure program compliance with Federal, State and local laws, rules and regulations.
- Intervene and/or support intervention during the development of legislation and regulations consistent with the interests of the City.
- Prepare reports to be used for in-house decision making and to meet regulatory requirements; make oral presentations of findings and conclusions.
- Participate in the selection and oversight of outside consultants.
- Participate in a variety of special projects.
- Perform the most difficult and complex work related to assigned area of responsibility.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees and the public using principles of good customer service.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Principles and practices of technical and functional supervision and training.
- Principles and practices of research and of quantitative analysis.
- Principles of supervision, training and performance evaluations.
- Principles of data management including database and spreadsheet application.
- Utility load and financial forecasting methodologies.
- Utility load and financial forecasting methodologies.
- Technical and economic characteristics of energy business.
- Project management methodologies.
- Pertinent local, State, and Federal codes, regulations, and laws, and electric utility industry standards.
- Principles of economics, accounting, financial planning, utility cost of service, and energy industry fundamentals.
- Pertinent regulatory reporting requirements.
- Technical report writing procedures and techniques.
- Provide technical and functional supervision over assigned staff; effectively train staff.
- Perform the most complex duties related to financial and system data analysis in support of Electric Department projects, programs and activities.
- On a continuous basis, know and understand all aspects of the job; intermittently analyze work papers, reports and special projects; identify and interpret technical and numerical information; observe and problem solve operational and technical policy and procedures.
- On a continuous basis, sit at desk for long periods of time; intermittently bend, squat, climb, kneel or twist while performing field work; intermittently twist to reach equipment surrounding desk; perform simple grasping and fine manipulation; use telephone, and write or use a keyboard to communicate through written means; and lift or carry weight of 10 pounds or less.
- Prepare a variety of technical, administrative and regulatory reports, documents and correspondence.
- Develop technical and financial models related to cost, rates and revenues.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Supervise, train and evaluate assigned staff.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
Two years of responsible journey level experience performing duties similar to an Electric Business Analyst II with the City of Roseville (performing complex professional analytical work in support of a variety of Electric Department projects and programs, in support of internal and external customers; conducting financial and system data analysis; and participating in the conduct of special studies in support of department business).
A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, preferably with major course work in business administration, public administration, accounting, computer science, economics, mathematics or a related field.
License or Certificate:
Possession of a valid California driver’s license by date of appointment.
1. Your responses to questions 2-6, the applicant’s education, training and experience, will be scored using a pre-determined formula. Your responses to these questions must be consistent with your employment application information. This experience must also be described in the “Work Experience" section of this application. Responses to the supplemental questionnaire that are inconsistent from your “Work Experience” section in the application will not be scored. I understand and agree with the above instructions.
2. Was any of the work experience listed on your application an unpaid internship, or volunteer work? If so, please list below which ones.
3. How many years of experience do you have in utility data analysis?
- Less than 2 years
- 2-5 Years
- 5+ Years
4. Please describe, in detail, your utility data analysis work experience. If you do not have any work experience in this area, please put N/A.
5. How many years of experience do you have in utility technology project management?
- Less than 1 year
- 1-5 Years
- 5+ Years
6. Please describe, in detail, your utility technology project management experience. If you do not have any work experience in this area, please put N/A.
7. What methodology did you utilize to streamline the business requirements from different department/sections during a technology project? How did you achieve the common goals?
8. The City of Roseville is adopting smart grid technologies such as AMI. The new technologies will generate massive amount of data. What is your experience of assisting business departments to structure the data in order to achieve their business objectives?
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications will have their application scored in a Formula Rate Examination. The applicant’s experience and education will be evaluated using a pre-determined formula. Scores from this evaluation will determine applicant ranking and placement on the Employment List. Supplemental questions will be utilized by the department hiring authority to make interview and selection determinations. Final appointment is contingent upon a check of past employment references, passing a City-paid fingerprint check and depending on position applied for a pre-employment medical exam and a drug and alcohol screening test.
THE CITY OF ROSEVILLE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. IF YOU REQUIRE AN ACCOMMODATION DUE TO A DISABILITY, PLEASE CONTACT THE HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT LEAST 5 WORKING DAYS BEFORE A SCHEDULED INTERVIEW/EXAMINATION PROCESS. MEDICAL DISABILITY VERIFICATION MAY BE REQUIRED PRIOR TO ACCOMMODATION.
The following options apply to the evaluation of college degrees from countries outside the United States:
- Educational background from a foreign country may be evaluated by an accredited United States college or university listed on the U.S. Department of Education Database of Accredited Post-Secondary Institutions and Programs website.
- Verification of degree equivalency may be obtained from organizations that provide foreign education credential evaluation services. The City of Roseville will accept verification from any of listed member agencies found at www.naces.org
- A copy of the foreign credential evaluation verification must be attached to the employment application.
- Applicants who do not provide this verification will be eliminated from further consideration.