Ross Valley Sanitary District Invites Applications for
Accountant I/II/Senior – Temporary Position
$37.55 – $58.39/hour – DOE
To be considered for the Accountant II level classification, the candidate will have an Associate degree or higher (or equivalent) and a minimum of two years of increasingly responsible accounting experience.
To be considered for the Senior Accountant level classification, the candidate will have a bachelor’s degree or higher (or equivalent) and a minimum of five years of increasingly responsible accounting experience.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Under general direction of the Finance Supervisor and Administrative Services Manager, this position performs professional and technical work of a confidential nature in the areas of payroll administration, general accounting, public employee retirement (CalPERS) reporting, workers’ compensation, and benefits administration. This position assists with the day-to-day accounting and financial operations of the District, including accounts payable functions, bank reconciliations and deposits, maintenance of accounting and payroll records, and other tasks as assigned.
- Manage, prepare, process and maintain records for bi-weekly payroll; prepare quarterly and annual tax reports and returns; confirm compliance with applicable Federal, State, and local law, rules, and regulations.
- Prepare and maintain a variety of ledgers, reports, salary and other pay schedules; process accounts receivables/payables, prepare bank deposits, credit card and bank account reconciliations, and purchase orders.
- Examine and explore technical transactions to resolve questions and confirm data; guarantee fiscal accountability and fund integrity for transaction and supporting documentation.
- Process health, life, and disability insurance enrollments and other benefit payments, and communicate with service providers concerning routine administration of programs.
- Prepare and update employment records related to hiring, transferring, promoting, and separating; explain human resource policies, procedures, laws, and standards to new and existing employees; ensure new hire paperwork is completed and processed; maintain personnel files in compliance with applicable legal requirements.
- Assist internal and external customers, provide information that may require judgment and discretion as well as interpretation of policies and procedures, request assistance for unusual situations or requests.
- Assist with closing of year-end books in preparation for annual audit, including the coordination of audit schedules and reports for external auditors, and supporting the Finance Supervisor and Administrative Services Manager during the annual audit process.
- Prepare workers’ compensation quarterly reports.
- Prepare retirement contribution worksheets and submit to CalPERS (California Public Employee Retirement System).
- Prepare contribution reports for 457 deferred compensation plans.
- Provide support and coverage for other finance and administrative staff when needed.
- Implement and maintain accurate record keeping practices and systems; maintain working files (electronic and hardcopy).
The ideal candidate will have a depth of knowledge and experience of governmental payroll processes and procedures, as well as knowledge and understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and GASB (Governmental Accounting Standards Board) pronouncements, including full-cycle accounting functions.
In addition, the candidate will possess the following:
- Advanced to expert skills in MS Excel and QuickBooks Enterprise.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Associate or bachelor’s degree with major coursework in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, Public Administration, or related field.
- Experience in governmental accounting and reporting is highly desirable.
To be considered for this unique opportunity, candidates must complete an online application and the required supplemental questionnaire through CalOpps.org. The supplemental questionnaire is part of the application; please provide enough detail to rate your answers. Please use this link to access CalOpps and apply for this position: https://www.calopps.org/ross-valley-sanitary-district
DEADLINE TO APPLY:
This position is open until filled. Early application is encouraged.
All required applications materials must be submitted and received to be considered for this position. Ross Valley Sanitary District is not responsible for the failure of Internet forms or email in submitting your application. Inquiries may be directed to email@example.com.
Accommodation: Candidates with a disability who may require special assistance in any phase of the application or selection process should advise Human Resources by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
ROSS VALLEY SANITARY DISTRICT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER