The City of Salinas is accepting applications for Youth Program Assistant. These are temporary assignments with varied schedules that may work at any branch. Temporary employees may not exceed a maximum of 25 work hours per week or 1,000 work hours per fiscal year (fiscal year runs from July 1 – June 30).
Summary of Duties: Under general supervision performs routine duties to assist in community outreach programs and educational activities for youth and young adults.
Distinguishing Characteristics: This position is an entry-level position aimed at engaging local middle, high school, and community college students to participate in their community through a variety of programs.
Examples of ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
(These functions are representative and may not be presented in all positions in the class. Management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind related duties and work assignments.)
- Assist the Library and Community Services Department with community outreach programs and educational activities.
- Order and distribute flyers, and newsletters.
- Maintain contact with individuals, schools, and organizations that serve youth for networking, referrals and joint program planning.
- Assist in a variety of educational and social programs planned for various ages.
- Accompany staff off site at local schools and community organizations.
- May provide academic support and mentorship for community youth and program participants.
- Assist with the maintenance of Program inventory and order supplies as needed.
- Assist with the set up and breakdown of equipment for activities.
- May establish continuing dialogue with young people; identify at-risk youth; gain trust through advocacy; provide information and referral on peer support groups and other resources available in the community.
- Promote and maintain safety in the workplace.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education/Experience: An example of the education and experience which most likely demonstrates the knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform the duties would be any combination equivalent to one year of high school.
Licenses and Certifications: Possession of a valid California Identification Card or California Driver's License. For applicants 15 to 18 years of age a current valid work permit or the ability to obtain a valid work permit before hire.
- Library and Community Services Department rules and regulations.
- Computers and related equipment, hardware and software to perform data entry, review, retrieval and research.
- English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
Skill and Ability to:
- Operation of a personal computer with proficiency using word processing and spreadsheet programs.
- Deal with problems using understanding, tact and patience.
- Skill in utilizing Internet web sites, professional publications, and reference materials.
- Organize activities and programs.