PUBLIC WORKS INSPECTOR
Annual Salary: $77,952 — $95,652
(3% increase scheduled for January 2019)
Filing Deadline: Open Until Filled
The City of San Bruno is currently recruiting for a Public Works Inspector to perform a variety of sub-professional engineering tasks involving both office and field assignments. These assignments include inspection for right-of-way and public works projects, reviewing encroachment permits and traffic control plans. This is a journey-level position that requires complex inspections of public works construction projects, and enforce compliance with plans, specifications and City policies and procedures, administer and monitor contracts for such projects, issue contract change orders, and coordinate inspection work with contractors. In addition, this position will review and coordinate utility encroachment permits, assist in the preparation and evaluation of plans and specifications for public works and utility projects, perform specialized tasks regarding right-of-way work, evaluate constructability issues on assigned project, use a computer and other electronic equipment to solve a variety of engineering-related problems, and carry out other assigned duties.
· Possession of high school diploma or GED-equivalent, plus two (2) years of college in a pre-engineering or closely related field
· Two (2) years of sub-professional engineering experience
· Possession of, or ability to obtain and maintain, a valid California driver’s license
· Computer-aided Design and Drafting (CADD) experience highly preferred
The ideal candidate is a self-starting, independent individual capable of working in a team oriented environment. The successful candidate will have the experience in performing inspection for public works projects and ability to perform work in a variety of complex sub-professional engineering areas; accurately interpret engineering plans and specifications; follow complex written and verbal instructions and make accurate mathematical and engineering calculations; and effectively use a computer and applicable computer applications. Geographic Information System (GIS) knowledge highly desirable.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
The successful candidate will possess knowledge of principles, practices and terminology of a variety of technical engineering support work, including field inspection, public works construction methods and materials, drafting, mapping, data collection and analysis and standard office practices and procedures. The ability to maintain effective working relationships with contractors is a must.
· CalPERS retirement formula 2.7% @ 55 (classic members) or 2% @ 62 (PEPRA members)
· Medical, dental and vision benefits with employee contribution
· 10-23 vacation days based on length of service
· 12 sick days annually
· 14.5 holidays annually
· $300 deferred compensation matching calculated on a biweekly basis
· Life insurance equal to one year’s annual salary
· Long term disability insurance provided at no cost to employee
· Opportunity for bilingual incentive pay up to 2.5% of salary
· Home loan assistance program
· Credit union membership
· Tuition reimbursement
How to Apply
Applications may be submitted online at www.calopps.org. After an initial screening of applications, those candidates that best meet the Department’s needs will be invited to participate further in the recruitment process.
Open Until Filled
The City of San Bruno is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and as such does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, sex, gender, religion, ancestry, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or national origin in its employment actions, decisions, policies and practices. If you require special accommodations, please contact us to discuss your needs.