The City of San Bruno is currently recruiting for
Current Academy Students, Academy Graduates, Pre-Trained
Filing Deadline: Continuous
Annual Salary: $95,904 — $117,684 (not including incentive pay up to 8.5%)
Note: POST Certificate dated within 30 months –or- Proof of current enrollment in a Police Academy must be included with Application
The San Bruno Police Department has a long-standing tradition of small-town service with a big-city dedication to public safety. The department employs a community-oriented policing and problem-solving philosophy where members of the organization are encouraged to develop innovative strategies to improve police operations and service to the community. Police Officers will work on assigned, rotating shifts, patrolling City streets, parks, commercial and residential areas to preserve the peace; providing traffic control, investigation and first-aid at accidents; performing detection, investigation and arrest of persons involved in crimes or misconduct; responding to emergency calls and investigating robberies, civil disturbances, domestic disputes, fights, drunkenness, missing children, prowlers, abuse of drugs, and other criminal activity; taking appropriate law enforcement action; serving and protecting the public, and performing additional duties as required. In addition to duties of a Patrol Officer, the department offers opportunity for advancement in a number of specialty assignments including: Traffic (Motorcycle), Canines, Corporals, Detectives, and School Resource Officer. The department also participates in the County’s regional Narcotics Task Force and a regional Tactical (SWAT/HNT) Response Team. The Department has debuted a host of technological advances for its officers, including in-car computing systems and body-worn cameras.
· High school graduate or GED. Completion of a two-year community college degree or vocational school training in police science, law enforcement, criminal justice administration, public administration, or a related field is preferred.
· Must meet all basic requirements AND possess a California POST Basic Training Police Academy certificate within the past thirty (30) months from the date of potential hire (or proof of current enrollment in a POST Basic Training Academy).
· Must possess, or be able to obtain and maintain, a valid California Driver’s license
COMMISSION ON PEACE OFFICER STANDARDS AND TRAINING (CALIFORNIA POST) REQUIREMENTS
· Must be at least 21 years of age at date of hire
· U.S. citizenship or a permanent resident alien who is eligible, and has applied for, U.S. citizenship
· Felony convictions and disqualifying criminal history not allowed
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
Applicants should possess the knowledge and ability to exercise sound judgment in evaluating situations and making decisions; perform work requiring good physical condition; good customer service; communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; relate to the public in a professional, tactful and effective manner; establish, maintain, and foster positive working relationship with those contacted in the course of work.
· CalPERS retirement program (3%@50 Classic, 2.7%@57 PEPRA)
· Educational incentive pay up to 8.5% of base pay
· Annual Uniform Allowance
· Medical, dental and vision insurance provided with employee contribution
· Opportunity for 2.5% bilingual pay
· Life insurance equal to one year’s annual salary provided at no cost
· Long-term disability insurance provided at no cost
· 10-23 vacation days per year depending on length of service
· Employee Home Loan Assistance Program
· Physical fitness program
· Tuition reimbursement
· Deferred compensation
· Credit union membership
· Section 125 flexible benefit plan
Interested candidates may apply on-line at www.calopps.org. Applicants must attach a copy of a valid POST Basic Certificate dated within the past 30 months from date of potential hire –or– proof of enrollment in a POST Basic Training Police Academy in order to be considered. Applications that do not have the required document(s) attached will be considered incomplete. After an initial screening of applications, candidates that best fit the needs of the Department will be invited to participate further in the recruitment process.
Application Deadline: Continuous
The City of San Bruno is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and as such does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, sex, gender, religion, ancestry, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or national origin in its employment actions, decisions, policies and practices. If you require special accommodations, please contact us to discuss your needs.