Associate Civil Engineer
Filing Deadline: Continuous
Annual Salary: $99,144 — $121,956
For those who desire a challenge and working in a dynamic environment in an urban setting, the City of San Bruno Public Works Department is a progressive organization offering a unique career opportunity.
The City of San Bruno is seeking an Associate Civil Engineer with a strong focus on traffic/transportation. The Associate Engineer develops traffic and pedestrian safety projects, is responsible for all signal installations and modifications to the City’s signal system, provides traffic engineering support to various Capital Improvement Projects (CIP), and reviews traffic impacts from private development projects. They will conduct studies to recommend changes for traffic safety and operational improvements, provide traffic signal design and review on CIP and private development, perform construction management of traffic and transportation improvement projects, review traffic impact studies and transportation demand management plans for private development projects, address parking issues, interact with general public to resolve traffic issues and citizen complaints, and make presentations to the Traffic Safety and Parking Committee.
Other duties may include determining codes, regulations, and requirements; providing project management for municipal public works projects; administering grant applications; review traffic control plans; administering permits for utility, street use, and franchise; providing engineering support for other City departments and other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate for this position will have extensive experience designing and implementing traffic related projects and be able to monitor and evaluate traffic signals and congestion. The successful candidate will be a seasoned professional capable of completing high-quality staff work with minimal direction, possess the ability to effectively communicate with a broad audience, and feel comfortable managing multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment. Success will depend on being an inquisitive, competent, adaptable and articulate team player.
· A minimum of three (3) years of responsible civil engineering experience performing duties comparable to an Assistant Civil Engineer
· Graduation from an accredited four year college or university with a degree in civil engineering or a closely related field
· Municipal or related consultant experience highly desirable
· Possession and maintenance of a valid registration as a Professional Engineer in the State of California, or possess Professional Engineer Registration in another state with the ability to obtain California registration within six (6) months
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The successful candidate will possess advanced knowledge of civil engineering principles, practices and methods as applicable to a municipal setting. In addition, the candidate will demonstrate knowledge of applicable City policies, laws, and regulations as it pertains to engineering, as well as applicable laws and regulatory codes relevant to traffic engineering, traffic studies and traffic control equipment, storm drains, sanitary sewers and similar public improvements. Knowledge of engineering mathematics, methods, materials, tools, materials and equipment used in engineering construction, as well as topographic and construction surveying, is key. In addition, the successful candidate must possess effective oral and written communication skills, to communicate with employees, consultants, other governmental agency representatives, City officials and the general public.
· CalPERS retirement formula of 2.7% @ 55 for classic members or 2% @ 62 for new members
· 80 hours management leave annually with an annual option to cash out
· Annual accruals of 10-23 vacation days based on years of service, 14.5 holidays and 12 sick days
· $500 personal and professional reimbursement annually
· Opportunity for bilingual incentive pay up to 2.5%
· Matching deferred compensation contribution of 0.5% of salary
· Medical, dental and vision benefits provided with employee contribution
· Life Insurance equal to one year’s annual salary provided at no cost
· Long-term disability insurance provided at no cost
· Home loan assistance program
· Section 125 Flexible Benefit Plan
· Tuition reimbursement
How to Apply
Applications may be submitted online at www.calopps.org. After an initial screening of applications, those candidates that best meet the Department’s needs will be invited to participate further in the recruitment process.
Applications Deadline: Continuous
The City of San Bruno is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and as such does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, sex, gender, religion, ancestry, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or national origin in its employment actions, decisions, policies and practices. If you require special accommodations, please contact us to discuss your needs.