Join a professional and progressive department that is LOVED by its community…Join SBPD!
Want to work with dedicated people like yourself to make a real difference in the community? Have you been searching for a rewarding career?
Be a part of our dedicated team making a positive impact on the community!
Police Officer (Entry-Level)
Filing Deadline: Continuous
Annual Salary: $98,784 — $121,212 (Salary is 10% less while attending Police Academy)
We are searching for highly motivated people who are seeking a rewarding career in public service with a family-oriented organization that is deeply committed to protecting and serving the people who live, work and play in San Bruno.
Candidates hired in this position will be compensated while attending the Police Academy, as well as during the Field Training Program. This position does not require any prior law enforcement experience.
What you will do:
- Patrolling the city,
- Responding to a variety of emergency calls,
- Conducting criminal investigations,
- Making arrests,
- Conducting traffic enforcement,
- And so much more.
The San Bruno Police Department offers the opportunity to work in a variety of specialty positions, including Detective, Motorcycle Officer, K9 Handler, SWAT, School Resource Officer, Hostage Negotiator, Narcotics Officer, DEA Task Force Agent, and more.
In addition to graduation from high school, the following are required:
- At least 21 years of age
- No felony convictions
- US Citizenship or Permanent Resident Alien who is eligible and has applied for citizenship
- A valid CA Driver’s License
- Passing score of 48 on PELLETB and WTSB score of 320 within one year
- Pass rigorous background investigation
- 2-year or 4-year degree preferred
This is a continuous recruitment. For a full, detailed class specification, click HERE.
Check out our excellent benefits!
- CalPERS retirement formula of 3% @ 50 for classic members or 2.7% @ 57 for new members
- Education incentive pay up to 8.5%
- Annual accruals of 10-23 vacation days based on years of service, 14.5 holidays and 12 sick days
- Opportunity for bilingual incentive pay up to 2.5%
- Annual uniform allowance
- Deferred compensation
- Medical, dental and vision benefits provided with employee contribution
- Life Insurance equal to one year’s annual salary provided at no cost
- Long-term disability insurance provided at no cost
- Home loan assistance program
- Section 125 Flexible Benefit Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
How to Apply
Applications may be submitted online at www.calopps.org. The City of San Bruno utilizes a merit-based selection system. Such a system is competitive and based on broad outreach efforts and equal opportunity for qualified applicants to take part in a process designed to determine the qualifications, fitness and ability of competitors to perform duties of the position.
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants must attach the following scores, dated within one year, to their application: 1) PELLETB POST Entry-level Law Enforcement Test Battery (minimum TScore 48) and 2) WSTB Physical Agility Work Sample Test Battery (minimum score 320). Applications without the required documents attached will be considered incomplete. Proof of registration for the tests also accepted. Test scores must be received before the oral panel board in order to continue in the recruitment process.
The City of San Bruno is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and as such does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, sex, gender, religion, ancestry, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or national origin in its employment actions, decisions, policies and practices. If you require special accommodations, please contact us to discuss your needs.