Join a professional and progressive department that is LOVED by its community…Join SBPD!
Want to work with dedicated people like yourself to make a real difference in the community? Be a part of our dedicated team making a positive impact on the community!
The City of San Bruno is currently recruiting for POLICE OFFICER (Academy Graduates, Lateral)
Filing Deadline: Continuous
Application Requirements: POST Certificate dated within 30 months
Annual Salary: $98,784—$121,212
The San Bruno Police Department has a long-standing tradition of small-town service with a big-city dedication to public safety. The department employs a community-oriented policing and problem-solving philosophy where members of the organization are encouraged to develop innovative strategies to improve police operations and service to the community.
Police Officers will work on assigned, rotating shifts, patrolling City streets, parks, commercial and residential areas to preserve the peace; providing traffic control, investigation and first-aid at accidents; performing detection, investigation and arrest of persons involved in crimes or misconduct; responding to emergency calls and investigating robberies, civil disturbances, domestic disputes, fights, drunkenness, missing children, prowlers, abuse of drugs, and other criminal activity; taking appropriate law enforcement action; serving and protecting the public, and performing additional duties as required.
The San Bruno Police Department offers the opportunity to work in a variety of specialty positions, including Detective, Motorcycle Officer, K9 Handler, SWAT, School Resource Officer, Hostage Negotiator, Narcotics Officer, DEA Task Force Agent, and more.
In addition to graduation from high school, the following are required:
- At least 21 years of age
- No felony convictions or disqualifying criminal history
- US Citizenship or Permanent Resident Alien who is eligible and has applied for citizenship
- A valid CA Driver’s License
- Must meet all basic requirements AND possess a California POST Basic Training Police Academy certificate within the past thirty (30) months from the date of potential hire.
- Pass rigorous background investigation
- 2-year or 4-year degree in police science, law enforcement, criminal justice administration, public administration, or a related field is preferred
This is a continuous recruitment. For a full, detailed class specification, click HERE.
Check out our excellent benefits!
- CalPERS retirement formula of 3% @ 50 for classic members or 2.7% @ 57 for new members
- Education incentive pay up to 8.5%
- Annual accruals of 10-23 vacation days based on years of service, 14.5 holidays and 12 sick days
- Opportunity for bilingual incentive pay up to 2.5%
- Annual uniform allowance
- Deferred compensation
- Medical, dental and vision benefits provided with employee contribution
- Life Insurance equal to one year’s annual salary provided at no cost
- Long-term disability insurance provided at no cost
- Home loan assistance program
- Section 125 Flexible Benefit Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
How to Apply
Applications may be submitted online at www.calopps.org. Applicants must attach a copy of a valid POST Certificate dated within the past 30 months from date of potential hire in order to be considered. Applications that do not have the required document(s) attached will be considered incomplete. The City of San Bruno utilizes a merit-based selection system. Such a system is competitive and based on broad outreach efforts and equal opportunity for qualified applicants to take part in a process designed to determine the qualifications, fitness and ability of competitors to perform duties of the position.
For technical assistance, please contact Human Resources at (650) 616-7055.
The City of San Bruno is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and as such does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, sex, gender, religion, ancestry, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or national origin in its employment actions, decisions, policies and practices. If you require special accommodations, please contact us to discuss your needs.