Associate Civil Engineer
Filing Deadline: Continuous
Annual Salary: $99,384 — $121,956
For those who desire a challenge and working in a dynamic environment in an urban setting, the City of San Bruno Public Works Department is a progressive organization offering a unique career opportunity.
The City of San Bruno is seeking an Associate Civil Engineer with a strong focus on CIP Project Management. The Associate Civil Engineer performs complex engineering work in the provision of office and engineering support and field engineering support for environmental, water, sewer, street, and other Public Works projects and programs, ensuring technical competence and compliance with all current codes and criteria. In an effort to renew San Bruno's aging infrastructure, the successful candidate will also be taking part in the development and implementation of an aggressive capital improvement program.
Other duties may include determining codes, regulations, and requirements; coordinating the development of engineering plans; providing project management for municipal public works projects; reviewing construction bids; administering grant applications; responding to public inquiries; assisting in survey work; administering permits for utility, street use, and franchise; and providing engineering support for other City departments.
The ideal Associate Engineer candidate will possess the following:
- A minimum of three (3) years of responsible civil engineering experience performing duties comparable to an Assistant Civil Engineer
- Graduation from an accredited four‑year college or university with a degree in civil engineering or a closely related field
- Municipal or related consultant experience highly desirable
- Possession and maintenance of a valid registration as a Professional Engineer in the State of California, or possess Professional Engineer Registration in another state with the ability to obtain California registration within six (6) months
- Advanced knowledge of civil engineering principles, practices and methods as applicable to a municipal setting.
In addition, candidates will have a successful track record of the following:
- Having achieved a satisfactory level of technical, functional, and/or professional skill or knowledge in position-related areas; keeping up with current developments and trends in areas of expertise; leveraging expert knowledge to accomplish results.
- Maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment (e.g., people, processes, structure, or culture); adjusting effectively to change by exploring the benefits, trying new approaches, and collaborating with others to make the change successful.
- Actively identifying new areas for learning; regularly creating and taking advantage of learning opportunities; using newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learning through their application.
- Conveying information and ideas clearly and concisely to individuals or groups in an engaging manner that helps them understand and retain the message; listening actively to others.
- Placing a high priority on the internal and external customer’s perspective when making decisions and taking action; implementing service practices that meet the customers’ and own organization’s needs.
- Establishing an action plan for self and others to complete work efficiently and on time by setting priorities, establishing timelines, and leveraging resources.
- Taking prompt action to accomplish work goals; taking action to achieve results beyond what is required; being proactive.
- Maintaining stable performance under pressure or opposition (e.g., experiencing time pressure, conflict, or job ambiguity); handling stress in a manner that is acceptable to others and to the organization.
This recruitment is being conducted to fill one Associate Engineer vacancy and may be used to fill future full-time vacancies as they occur during the active status of the employment list. For a full, detailed class specification, click HERE.
Check out our excellent benefits!
- CalPERS retirement formula of 2.7% @ 55 for classic members or 2% @ 62 for new members
- 80 hours management leave annually with an annual option to cash out
- Annual accruals of 10-23 vacation days based on years of service, 14.5 holidays and 12 sick days
- $500 personal and professional reimbursement annually
- Opportunity for bilingual incentive pay up to 2.5%
- Matching deferred compensation contribution of 0.5% of salary
- Medical, dental and vision benefits provided with employee contribution
- Life Insurance equal to one year’s annual salary provided at no cost
- Long-term disability insurance provided at no cost
- Home loan assistance program
- Section 125 Flexible Benefit Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
How to Apply
Applications may be submitted online at www.calopps.org. The City of San Bruno utilizes a merit-based selection system. Such a system is competitive and based on broad outreach efforts and equal opportunity for qualified applicants to take part in a process designed to determine the qualifications, fitness and ability of competitors to perform duties of the vacant position.
What happens next?
- We will review your application and all supplemental materials to select the best qualified applicants to continue in the process. Screening will include a review of minimum qualifications, application appraisal rating of education, training and experience and relevance of background qualifications related to the target job as well as supplemental questions if applicable.
- Applicants selected to move forward in the process may be asked to participate in any combination of the following (at any phase of the selection process): a written examination, job related exercise, physical test or job simulation, phone interview, in-person or video interview(s), and/or web-based testing.
- The final phase of the selection process is the probationary period, which in most cases is one year, depending on your classification.
Reasonable Accommodations: The City of San Bruno is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and provides equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, age, physical or mental disability, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws in its employment actions, decisions, policies and practices.
The City of San Bruno Human Resources Department will make reasonable efforts in the selection process to accommodate disabled applicants. Individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation in the process must inform the Human Resources Department by the final filing date by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.