The City of San Bruno is searching for an experienced and self-motivated Business Systems and Information Technology (IT) Manager to ensure the City’s computer, network, and technological needs are effectively met by maintaining, managing and supporting computer hardware and software solutions and driving business continuity operations as well as leading City departments in analyzing business operations and mapping processes to develop technological solutions for enhancing the customer experience. Working with a strong IT team of two, one member focused on systems administration and the other on computer support, this working IT Manager role handles day-to-day oversight of IT while working closely with City departments to enhance overall functions and services to City residents.
This position upholds management best practices, develops and mentors the team, adheres to labor and safety guidelines, ensures compliance with policy and procedures and establishes clear expectations in a manner that upholds the values of the City.
The IT Manager is a hard-working and dedicated individual with experience and ability to define, design and implement all required systems to fully support the digital needs of the organization. They will also provide expert guidance and direct support ensuring the availability, integrity and security of the network, server and workstation environment, telecommunications, on premise and cloud computing. The Business Systems and IT Manager will serve as the project manager for a variety of programmatic areas such as: GIS mapping, permit/planning processing, finance/human resources, public safety, audio/visual support for cable access and other support areas.
Exciting projects include developing and implementing business continuity protocols to minimize disruption to business operations; establishing dashboards for efficiency and efficacy standards, conducting a needs assessment and managing a comprehensive financial and procurement (ERP) system upgrade, and analyzing and recommending IT infrastructure and systems performance. This position will collaborate with key stakeholders to review, analyze, and make recommendations for modifying applications, workflows, or business processes to enhance the organization’s efficiency and effectiveness. This role will instill modern technology disciplines and best practices into IT and drive for high quality in all aspects of IT services.
In addition to graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in information technology, computer science, business administration, or related field and five years of IT experience including two years at a supervisory level; the ideal candidate will possess a Project Management Professional (PMP) certification and/or a Professional in Business Analysis (PMI-PBA) or IIBA Certified Business Analysis Professional (CBAP) and maintain a successful track record of the following:
- Experience working in infrastructure including cloud exposure and introducing new technologies and change in a dynamic environment; technological expertise in digital service-based organizations; trends in business and management information systems technology; and project management (initiating; planning, executing, monitoring and controlling; assessment).
- Serving as a liaison between the business and technical teams to translate and communicate complex business problems into technical solutions.
- Gaining other people’s trust by demonstrating openness and honesty, behaving consistently, and acting in accordance with moral, ethical, professional, and organizational guidelines.
- Working effectively and cooperatively with others; establishing and maintaining good working relationships.
- Identifying and understanding issues, problems, and opportunities; comparing data from different sources to draw conclusions; using effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; taking action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
- Maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjusting effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
- Ensuring that the (internal or external) customer’s perspective is a driving force behind strategic priorities, business decisions, organizational processes, and individual activities; crafting and implementing service practices that meet customers’ and own organization’s needs; promoting and operationalizing customer service as a value.
- Setting high goals for personal and group accomplishment; using measurement methods to watch progress toward goals; consistently working to meet or exceed goals while deriving satisfaction from that achievement and continuous improvement.
- Using appropriate methods and a flexible interpersonal style to build, motivate, and guide a cohesive team to complete team goals.
This recruitment is being conducted to fill one Business Systems and IT Manager vacancy and may be used to fill future full-time vacancies as they occur during the active status of the employment list. For a full, detailed class specification, click HERE.
- CalPERS retirement formula of 2.7% @ 55 for classic members or 2% @ 62 for new members
- 80 hours management leave annually with an annual option to cash out
- Annual accruals of 10-23 vacation days based on years of service, 14.5 holidays and 12 sick days
- $500 personal and professional reimbursement annually
- Opportunity for bilingual incentive pay up to 2.5%
- Matching deferred compensation contribution of 0.5% of salary
- Medical, dental and vision benefits provided with employee contribution
- Life Insurance equal to one year’s annual salary provided at no cost
- Long-term disability insurance provided at no cost
- Home loan assistance program
- Section 125 Flexible Benefit Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
How to Apply
Applications may be submitted online at https://www.calopps.org. The City of San Bruno utilizes a merit-based selection system. Such a system is competitive and based on broad outreach efforts and equal opportunity for qualified applicants to take part in a process designed to determine the qualifications, fitness and ability of competitors to perform duties of the vacant position.
What happens next?
- We will review your application and all supplemental materials to select the best qualified applicants to continue in the process. Screening will include a review of minimum qualifications, application appraisal rating of education, training and experience and relevance of background qualifications related to the target job as well as supplemental questions if applicable.
- Applicants selected to move forward in the process may be asked to participate in any combination of the following (at any phase of the selection process): a written examination, job related exercise, physical test or job simulation, phone interview, in-person or video interview(s), and/or web-based testing.
- The final phase of the selection process is the probationary period, which in most cases is one year, depending on your classification.
The City of San Bruno is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and provides equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, age, physical or mental disability, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws in its employment actions, decisions, policies and practices.
The City of San Bruno Human Resources Department will make reasonable efforts in the selection process to accommodate disabled applicants. Individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation in the process must inform the Human Resources Department by the final filing date by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.