SAN CARLOS SCHOOL DISTRICT
SMART-E After School Program - Assistant Program Coordinator
The San Carlos School District has created the SMART-E Program in response to the needs of parents who are seeking extended learning opportunities and care for their children beyond the regular school day. Children who grow up to be successful, contributing young adults have much more than academic skills; rather, they have developed a broad capacity to engage intellectually, socially, physically, emotionally, and civically. Out-of-school time can be instrumental in supporting a child’s growth and development in all each of these areas.
The Assistant After School Program Coordinator provides support to the Program Coordinator in all operational aspects of the program. He/she is responsible for the safety and wellness of students. He/she will interact with students, parents, and school staff daily.
- Maintains a safe, healthy, fun, engaging environment for children.
- Monitors, positively directs and redirects, protects, encourages, and nurtures children.
- Administers first aid to students and contacts parents and emergency assistance in cases of serious illness or injury.
- Performs a variety of housekeeping functions to ensure that the facility is maintained in a healthful, safe and sanitary condition.
- Collaborates with Program Coordinator to develop, prepare, and implement culturally responsible curriculum.
- Maintains ongoing communication with parents and children’s teachers.
- Monitors on-site SMART-E enrichment classes, and provides feedback to Director.
- Attends, participates and contributes at staff meetings and required orientation and trainings.
- Ensures that equipment and facilities are clean, well maintained and safe for children at all times.
- Maintains a positive approach to dealing with conflict, and believes that conflict provides learning opportunities.
- Maintains confidentiality about children and their families.
- Reports all suspect abuse to supervisor.
- Assists in administrative duties daily, as directed by Program Coordinator.
- Maintains open communication with Program Coordinator, team members, and Director
- Supervises staff and oversees daily program operations when Program Coordinator is absent or unavailable.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to respect the confidentiality of program-related incidents and information.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written directions.
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude toward and manage a group of children.
- Ability to sustain cooperative relationships with students, parents, team members, and school staff.
- Ability to see, read, and distinguish colors with or without vision aids; ability to hear and understand speech at normal levels, ability to communicate to others will clearly understand normal conversation.
- Ability to work effectively with children, parents, team members, and school staff.
- Ability to work effectively with people from all socio-economic and cultural backgrounds.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Minimum of two (2) years experience working in informal learning environments, after school programs, summer camps, early childhood, and/or similar environments.
- Bachelors Degree or Associates Degree, preferred.
- Early Childhood Education units preferred, can be in progress.
- Current, valid drivers license, and ability to drive to work preferred.
- Current first aid and CPR training.
WORKING CONDITIONS ENVIRONMENT:
- Moderate to high stress level.
- Primarily indoor classroom, playground, and school setting.
- Facility to sit at a work table or student desk.
- Manual dexterity to dial a telephone, and enter information into a computer.
- Physical agility to lift and carry 25 to 50 pounds and to bend, stoop, walk and reach overhead.
- Physical agility to push/pull, squat, twist, and turn.
- Perceiving the nature of sound, near and far vision, depth perception, providing oral information.
- Mental acuity to perform essential functions of this position in an accurate, neat, and timely fashion; and to evaluate and make sound judgments.
- Physical condition to maintain a rigorous work schedule and meet standards of physical and mental health.
Paid holidays, sick and vacation days.
Health & Welfare Benefits