Under direction this person instructs fitness classes at the San Dimas Recreation Center in a safe, enjoyable, and positive environment. Instructor will promote wellness and create appropriate and challenging workouts for participants at the appropriate and safe level. They will instruct participants about exercise activities that improve strength, cardiovascular endurance and flexibility. They demonstrate correct movements and technique, while offering tips on improving form to maintain or improve physical fitness.
- Leads energizing, fun, safe and educational classes
- Builds effective, authentic relationships with participants helping participants connect with each other
- Aims to increase the strength, flexibility and cardiovascular capabilities by leading dynamic classes
- Keeps participants engaged and motivated
- Provides safe and complete instruction
- Provides encouragement and feedback
- Helps promote the programs as assigned
- Responds to and reports any injuries or emergency situations
- Other duties as assigned
ABOUT THE CITY
San Dimas is located midway (about 27 miles) between Los Angeles and San Bernardino, at the base of the San Gabriel Mountains. Excellent access to freeways offers a centralized location from which to enjoy Southern California’s many cultural and recreational activities.
San Dimas was incorporated in 1960 with a Council-Manager form of government. Its citizens receive a full range of services through the combined efforts of the City’s four departments (Administration, Parks & Recreation, Public Works and Development Services) and the contract services of Los Angeles County.
STATEMENT OF NONDISCRIMINATION
The City of San Dimas, California advises the public, employees and job applicants that it does not discriminate on the basis of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical handicap, medical condition, marital status, sex, age or any non-merit based factor in admission to, treatment of or employment in its programs and activities.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), The City of San Dimas will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective employees and incumbents to discuss potential accommodations with the employer. EOE (Equal Opportunity Employer)
- Current group exercise certification from a nationally recognized organization such as AFAA, ACE, ACSM or similar
- CPR, AED and First Aid certification
- Silver Sneakers certification preferred
- Previous experience teaching fitness preferred
- Must demonstrate the ability to put together a fitness program
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing to co-workers, the public and staff
- Develop and maintain positive work relationships
- Prepare and submit written reports
- Analyze situations and make sound decisions without constant supervision
- Assist individuals while they exercise to help complete the regimen and avoid injury
- Provide quality customer service and professional interaction with the public
This position does not offer benefits.