Under the general direction of the Director of Management Information Services, the Systems Administrator is responsible for providing direct ongoing supervision to operations staff and technical direction in the completion of major projects. The classification performs and reviews complex work involving analysis, planning, designing, implementation, maintenance troubleshooting an enhancement of complex large systems or networks consisting of a combination that may include mainframes, mini-computers, LANs, WANs, and the physical and logical components that integrate these systems together as an enterprise networking backbone.
This position is represented by the Municipal Executives’ Association.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives general direction from the Director of Management Information Services. Exercises general supervision over MIS operations staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Following are representative examples of the essential duties and responsibilities associated with the Systems Administrator classification. The incumbent in the classification may be required to perform other related duties, as assigned by the Director of Management Information Services.
- Designs, plan, integrates, tests, implements, documents and enhances the physical and logical components of a large complex system or network. Analyzes and evaluates system software, hardware and communications strategies. Researches and conducts feasibility studies on new hardware and software. Establishes hardware and software standards. Schedules and implements hardware, peripheral and software upgrades.
- Monitors and manages system performance and capacity. Analyses, detects, identifies and corrects complex systems software or hardware deficiencies. Implements and maintains upgrades/updates/fixes for core operation systems and their related components, without negative impact to the overall availability and reliability of the enterprise systems/networks.
- Directs and monitor technical support activities related to complex large systems or networks. Troubleshoots and supports the system or network in order to maintain the system or network’s integrity and reliability. Establishes and implements computer system service agreements with maintenance service providers.
- Plans, develops and implements backup and disaster recovery procedures for large systems and networks. Provides problem determination, corrective measures and technical support to staff utilizing services and functions provided by the system or network. Oversees data back up and recovery ensures that sufficient generations of backup are available for data restoration.
- Performs complex system integration for interoperability over dissimilar platforms and technologies for large systems or network. Determines the proper installation parameters for software and hardware for smooth integration and efficiency in relation to the enterprise system and network.
- Writes highly complex “use exits” to customize large systems software, which may involve specialized programming languages. Prepares specifications and procedures documentation.
- Participates in the employee selection process for the Department and makes decisions regarding the selection for department personnel. Provides direct supervision to technical and clerical staff responsible for the performance of the activities of the Department. Assigns work activities and projects. Evaluates work performance. Implements progressive disciplinary actions, as required.
- Prepares reports, memoranda, letters and other forms of documentation associated with the duties and responsibilities of the classification. Prepares reports to management, both verbal and written, on key system implementation issues.
- Attends periodic staff meetings. Attends agency-wide meetings, as required. Attends meeting of public, private, public housing resident and community-based organizations, as required.
The incumbent must possess a thorough, experience-based understanding of advance functions for the core hardware and software components that comprise complex large systems or enterprise networks; analysis and evaluation techniques to plan, design, integrate, implement, maintain and troubleshoot large complex systems or networks across similar and dissimilar technology platforms; techniques and practices of supervision, project management and training; and knowledge of UNIX and/or ULTRIX; UniDATA or other PICK database. Knowledge of SUN hardware, software and standard (CCC) software packages is highly desirable.
The incumbent must possess the ability to determine systems or networking requirements to plan for or enhance the core data processing needs for the system or network; analyze systems and situations, identify problems and develop solutions within established guidelines and standards; coordinate, schedule and orchestrate the installation, maintenance and enhancements of a large complex system or enterprise network; establish good working relationships with employees, other IS professionals, departmental end users and vendors; prioritize competing requests for service; supervise and evaluate the performance of operations staff; interpret and apply Authority policies, procedures, rules and regulations relating to MIS activities; coordinate and facilitate meetings; utilize PC-based word processing and spreadsheet software programs such as Microsoft Office and Excel; and communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND LICENSURE - Any combination of training and experience that would likely provide the knowledge and skills required to effectively perform the duties and responsibilities associated with position is qualifying. A typical way to obtain such knowledge and skills would be as follows:
Education equivalent to possession of a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in computer science, management information systems, data processing, or a related field.Two (2) years of experience in systems administration and/or development and implementation of management information systems and computer programming applications, including custom software development, and one(1) year of supervisory experience. Knowledge of SUN hardware, software and standard (CCS) software package and Microsoft Word is highly desirable.
Sensitivity to and experience working with the ethnically and culturally diverse individuals, communities, agencies and organization which compromise the constituency of the San Francisco Housing Authority.
Licenses and Certifications:
Possession of a valid California driver license and automobile insurability by the Authority’s insurance carrier.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should be competent working with Microsoft Office packages, i.e., Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint. Must be able to learn other software required by assigned tasks.
This position requires no unusual physical demands. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, walk and talk or listen. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
The work is performed in the normal office setting. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
AGENCY CORE PERFORMANCE COMPETENCIES:
The San Francisco Housing Authority, in alignment with the agency’s strategic plan has established the following five (5) agency core performance competencies whereby all employees will be assessed as part of their annual evaluation. These competencies identify behavior and skills that all employees are expected to demonstrate to carry out the mission and goals of the agency:
2. Planning & Organizing
3. Problem Solving
5. Integrity & Ethics
Applicants meeting the minimum qualifications will be administered an examination that may consist of any combination of written, oral or other exercises or assessment procedures that evaluate, knowledge, skill, ability or qualifications. Applicants must pass each phase of the process to be placed on the list that will be used to fill vacancies. The Authority may without notice, change or eliminate any particular assessment component or combination of components as the needs of the Agency dictate.
Employment offers are contingent upon documentation of the right to work in the United States and a criminal record check.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications are being accepted by mail or in person at the San Francisco Housing Authority’s Human Resources Department. Interested individuals should submit a SFHA Employment Application to the San Francisco Housing Authority’s Human Resources Department, 1815, Egbert Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94124. The employment application can be obtained at www.sfha.org.
Resumes may be attached to the application; however, resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed San Francisco Housing Authority application.
VERIFICATION OF EXPERIENCE AND/OR EDUCATION
Applicants may be required to submit verification of (proof) of qualifying education and experience at any point in the application, examination or selection process.
Persons with disabilities may request reasonable accommodations by contacting the Human Resources Department at (415) 715-3101. Persons requesting reasonable accommodations must do so within five (5) days after the invitation to the assessment process to allow sufficient time to make arrangements and may be required to provide supporting documentation to substantiate request.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
The SFHA does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, political or religious affiliation, age, veteran status or disability in its employment practices or the provision of services.