The Department of Transportation is seeking a seasoned construction professional for the Senior Construction Inspector (SCI) position in the Pavement & ADA Inspection section. Under the supervision of a Principal Construction Inspector (PCI), this person will lead a small team of Associate Construction Inspectors (ACIs) and collaborate with engineers in the development and delivery of pavement maintenance and rehabilitation projects throughout the City in accordance with City standard plans and specifications. The SCI will manage contracts, track work progress, and interact with contractors, engineering staff, and members of the public. SCIs are responsible for clear documentation in daily logs, daily reports, and other forms that support accurate records of work performed.
Additionally, all SCIs support the development and review of maintenance specifications, as well as other programs in the Department of Transportation. The SCI is a supervisory position and will oversee the activities of Associate Construction Inspectors.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in these classifications, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
Job Expertise – Knowledge of principles, techniques, and terminology related to pavement, concrete, landscape maintenance and/or capital improvement construction; knowledge of principles, techniques, and terminology related to construction materials sampling and testing; ability to administer maintenance contracts and programs, including experience in the pay letter processing; knowledge of basic mathematics including addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
Communication Skills - Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills; displays openness to other people’s ideas and thoughts.
Customer Service - Demonstrates the ability to anticipate customers' needs and deliver services effectively and efficiently using professional demeanor.
Computer Skills - experienced with common business computer applications including but not limited to: MS Outlook, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Access, and MS Excel.
Flexibility- Makes effective decisions and achieves desired results in the midst of major changes in responsibilities, work processes, timeframes, performance expectations, organizational culture, or work environment.
Problem Solving - Approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; determines the significance of problem; collects information; uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome.
Conflict Management - Uses appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to reduce tension or conflict between two or more people, by presenting the facts, analysis, and conclusions or solutions that show command of content and perspectives and interests of the audience.
Constructive Energies- Ability to demonstrate energy and drive that comes from within, possesses a willingness to approach all aspects of work with a generally positive attitude; ability to take appropriate action rather than waiting to be told what to do. Examples of constructive energies include but are not limited to: enthusiasm, honesty, integrity, empathy, dedication, reliability, proactive approach to work, respectful demeanor, confidence, ethical behavior and willingness to help others.
Supervision- Sets effective long and short-term goals based on a good understanding of management practices; establishes realistic priorities within available resources; provides motivational support; empowers others; assigns decision-making and work functions to others in an appropriate manner to maximize organizational and individual effectiveness.
Leadership - Leads by example; demonstrates high ethical standards; remains visible and approachable and interacts with others on a regular basis; promotes a cooperative work environment, allowing others to learn from mistakes; provides motivational supports and direction.
1. Education: Successful completion of high school
Six (6) years of increasingly responsible sub-professional engineering/construction inspection work, including two (2) years at a level equivalent to Associate Construction Inspector, Associate Engineering Technician, Instrument Person, or equivalent (lead experience in sub-professional engineering/construction inspection work).
3. Acceptable Substitutions: Completion of a terminal curriculum in engineering technology equivalent to that given in an accredited California junior college or two (2) years of college engineering courses may be substituted for two (2) years of the required remaining experience.
4. Licenses or Certificates: Possession of a valid driver's license in the State of California
5. Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application and responses to the Job Specific Questions. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process. Additional phases of the selection process will consist of one or more interviews, one of which may include a practical/writing exercise.
You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions during the online application process. Please note that there is a 4,000-character limit, including spaces, for each text response.
1. Please select the option that best describes how you meet the minimum qualifications of a Senior Construction Inspector with the City of San Jose.
- I have a high school diploma or equivalent and at least six (6) years of increasingly responsible sub professional engineering/construction inspection work, including two (2) years at the level of Associate Construction Inspector, Associate Engineering Technician, Instrument Person, or Equivalent.
- I have an Associate’s Degree in Engineering Technology or closely related field from accredited California Junior College and at least four (4) years of increasingly responsible sub professional engineering/construction inspection work, including two (2) years at the level of Associate Construction Inspector, Associate Engineering Technician, Instrument Person, or Equivalent.
- I have two years of College Engineering courses (60 semester/90 quarter units) and four (4) years of increasingly responsible sub professional engineering/construction inspection work, including two (2) years at the level of Associate Construction Inspector, Associate Engineering Technician, Instrument Person, or Equivalent.
- I do not have any of the above.
2. Please describe your education and experience that supports your meeting the requirements for Senior Construction Inspector. In your response, please list qualifying experiences in the following format: name of institution, duration of employment or number of semester units, full-time or part-time status, job duties or relevant classes taken. (Please note: One year of work experience = 2,080 hours.)
3. Please indicate if you have relevant job experience in any of the following (select all that apply).
a.) concrete and pavement services
b.) street improvement projects
c.) other transferable construction experience
d.) none of the above
4. Describe your experience for each relevant topic selected above. In your response, briefly describe transferable duties, including any inspection experience and number of years performing these functions.
5. Describe your experience with construction contract administration including but not limited to budget and schedule management, preparing pay letters, negotiating, and writing contract change orders, project documentation, and/or minimizing contractor claims.
6. Provide an example of a complex problem you had to solve on the job. Describe the situation, the options you considered, and why you chose your course of action.
7. Please indicate if you have experience with any of the following applications (select all that apply):
a.) Microsoft Word
b.) Microsoft Excel
c.) Microsoft PowerPoint
d.) Microsoft Outlook
e.) Microsoft Access
8. In the space below, please indicate your level of proficiency with each selected application as either ‘basic’ – some experience with data entry functions, ‘intermediate’- some experience with formatting/formula functions, ‘proficient’ – comfort performing most formatting/formula functions, or ‘advanced’- mastery of all functions and ability to teach others. In your response, provide an example of a product you have created or edited in each application (i.e.: Microsoft Excel- basic- data entry for expense tracking).
You must answer all job-specific questions in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration.
If you have questions about the duties of these positions, the selection or hiring processes, please contact Linh Le at LInh.Le@sanjoseca.gov or (408) 535-5652.
Incumbents must have the ability to lift a minimum weight of 50 lbs.
Senior Construction Inspector’s bargaining unit is
This position will remain open until filled and applications are reviewed continuously. Application reviews occur periodically and therefore, we encourage applicants to apply as soon as possible. If your online application was successfully submitted, you will receive an automatic confirmation email to the email address you provided. IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE THE CONFIRMATION, please email CityCareers@sanjoseca.gov and we will research the status of your application. Please contact Human Resources at (408) 535-1285, or Human.Resources@sanjoseca.gov if you have any questions.