The Public Works Department is recruiting to fill one (1) Associate Engineer position in the Engineering Services Division. The ideal candidate will possess a high level of professionalism, excellent customer service skills, and a supreme work ethic. These positions require excellent judgment, initiative, perseverance, integrity, organizational skills, flexibility and written and verbal communications skills.
The Associate Civil Engineer assigned to the Building Official Program (BOP) will be Under the general direction of the Senior Structural Engineer of the Structural Engineering Section who conducts structural engineering and code review. This position will be responsible for code reviews as it pertains to structural and architectural safety, energy conservation, CALGreen, ADA, etc., and processing permits for Citywide capital facilities/building projects. This position will also perform structural engineering design projects for Citywide capital projects as assigned.
Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Occasionally prepares structural engineering design for the Senior Structural Engineer.
- Supervises staff by prioritizing and assigning work; conducting performance evaluations; ensuring staff is trained; making hiring, termination and disciplinary recommendations.
- Performs code compliance review in structural, architectural safety, energy conservation, CALGreen, and ADA aspects.
- Reviews designs, improvement plans, estimates, specifications, and contract documents for capital improvement projects, private development projects or other engineering related projects that are prepared by subordinates and/or consultants engaged by the City or by private developers.
- Prepares and manages consultant agreements.
- Performs field observations, when required, and prepares a typed-written report of findings and recommendations.
- Responsible for interfacing with the public, consultants, contractors, other City departments/sections, and other agencies, and is responsible for timely response to the stakeholders' requests and concerns on projects.
- Consults with construction inspectors and attends field meetings regarding problems arising in the field during the construction of a public improvement project.
- Supports code inspection staff in construction issues investigation and resolution.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
1. Education: A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in Civil Engineering or possession of an Engineer-in-Training (EIT) certificate.
2. Experience: Three (3) years of increasingly responsible professional engineering experience.
3. Acceptable Substitution: A Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in the Structural Engineering may be substituted for one (1) year of professional engineering experience.
4. Licenses or Certificates:
- Possession of a valid driver's license in the State of California.
- Possession of a valid professional registration with the State of California as a Civil Engineer (PE) is required.
- Possession of a valid California Structural Engineering License is desirable.
- Possession of a Civil Engineering degree is desirable.
- Possession of a Certified Access Specialist Program (CASP) certification is desirable.
- Possession of an International Code Council (ICC) Plans Examiner Certification is desirable and will be required to obtain within six (6) months of employment.
Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
- Job Expertise - Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices and the California Building Codes; including knowledge and experience of the City of San Jose’s designs, improvement plans, estimates, specifications, and contract documents for capital improvement projects, private development projects or other engineering related projects; experience in Enercalc and RISA 3D; Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations.
- Communication Skills - Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills; displays openness to other people's ideas and thoughts.
- Computer Skills - MS Outlook, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Access, and MS Excel.
- Teamwork & Interpersonal Skills - Develops effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
- Analytical Thinking - Approaches a problem or situation by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach.
- Creativity – Addresses objectives and problems while questioning traditional assumptions/solutions in order to generate creative ideas and new ways of doing business; exhibits creativity and innovation when contributing to organizational and individual objectives; seeks out opportunities to improve, streamline, reinvent work processes.
- Decision Making – Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; uses effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions.
- Planning - Acts to align own unit's goals with the strategic direction of the organization; Defines tasks and milestones to achieve objectives, while ensuring the optimal use of resources to meet those objectives.
- Problem Solving – Approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; determines the significance of problem; collects information; uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome.
- Project Management - Ensures support for projects and implements agency goals and strategic objectives.
- Supervision - Sets effective long and short-term goals based on good understanding of management practices; establishes realistic priorities within available resources; provides motivational support; empowers others; assigns decision-making and work functions to others in an appropriate manner to maximize organizational and individual effectiveness.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application and responses to the Job Specific Questions. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process. Additional phases of the selection process will consist of one or more interviews, one of which may include a practical/writing exercise.
You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions during the online application process. Please note that there is a 4,000-character limit, including spaces, for each text response.
- Do you possess a Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering or a Master’s degree in Structural Engineering from an accredited college or university? If yes, please identify the name and location of the college/university. Do you possess an Engineer-In-Training (EIT) certificate? If yes, please provide your EIT certificate number.
- Please describe in detail your professional engineering experience, including the number of years and the scope of your experience. Please elaborate on your technical experience as it relates to the duties described for the position.
- Do you have a valid California Civil Professional Engineer (PE) license? If so, please indicate the state of issuance, your registration certificate number, and year the registration certificate was awarded to you and the expiration date of your registration. Also, please list all professional certificates indicating year awarded and expiration date.
- Do you possess a California Structural Engineering License? If yes, please indicate your license number and expiration date. (Please attach a copy of your license to your application).
- Do you possess a valid CASP certificate? If yes, when does your certificate expire? (Please attach a copy of your certificate to your application).
- Do you possess a valid ICC Plans Examiner certificate? If yes, when does your certificate expire? (Please attach a copy of your certificate to your application).
- Do you have code review experience? If yes, please describe in detail your experience including the type, size, design complexity of systems, and the code(s) you applied.
- Do you have design experience? If yes, please describe in detail your experience including the type of work, size, design, and complexity of systems that you designed.
- Do you have experience supervising and/or leading staff? If yes, please describe in detail the direct supervisory or lead experience you have had. Include the length of time you supervised or led staff, the number of employees under your direct supervision, and a description of your methods for developing your employees.
You must answer all job-specific questions in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration.
If you have questions about the duties of these positions, the selection or hiring processes, please contact Ashley Lancaster at Ashley.Lancaster@sanjoseca.gov.