The Office of Administrative, Policy, and Intergovernmental Relations team of the Office of the City Manager is seeking a skilled and motivated individual with experience in, communications, marketing, and a track record of successful community engagement experience to fill a key Diridon Station Area Civic Manager (DSACA) position. The position will report directly to the Chief of Staff in the Office of the City Manager and will manage the implementation of the Diridon Station Area Civic Engagement program.
Occasional evening and weekend work will be required.
The DSACA will actively manage the implementation of the Diridon Station Area Civic Engagement program, including:
- Actively manage the implementation of the Diridon Station Area Civic Engagement program, including Station Area Advisory Group (SAAG), regional meetings, workshops, and other stakeholder meetings.
- Help advance the understanding of efforts related to development and changes in the Diridon Station Area.
- Assist with development and implementation of strategies to inform and engagement a diverse set of communities.
- Coordinate and organize all logistics for community outreach meetings, including SAAG meetings.
- Coordinate and assist with management of the City’s internal civic engagement team.
- Work closely with the City’s internal Diridon Station Area team.
- Day-to-day maintenance of civic engagement programs.
- Maintain appropriate communications about program activities with staff, SAAG members, and other key partners
- Assure appropriate documentation from community meetings is filed, disseminate, and archived for future reference.
- Be available to help present and facilitate workshops, events, and other community meetings as needed.
- Support grant proposal development with civic engagement program narrative, workshops, and budgets as requested.
International Organizational Support
- Participate in staff meetings and support functions to maintain a productive working relationships.
- Work with the City Manager’s Chief of Staff, Deputy City Manager, Director of Real Estate, and Diridon Station Area Project Manager to implement near-terms strategies and goals, and develop long-term engagement strategies.
The DSACA may supervise professional and/or administrative level staff.
The ideal candidate will have significant community engagement experience, a keen understanding of administrative functions in the public sector, the ability to use research methods and techniques, analyze and problem solve using quantitative and qualitative methods and possess excellent writing skills to communicate with a diverse group of stakeholders.
The position requires excellent communication and interpersonal skills, strong decision making and strategic thinking ability, a commitment to customer service, ability to build and train a team, and the ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects and issues. Other desired abilities include: reading and interpreting reports and correspondence, as well as reading, understanding, and analyzing Council Policy, the Municipal Code, and project documentation.
Fluency in one or more languages spoken by the city's diverse population is highly desirable.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
This is a temporary position with the City Manager’s Office and is approved through June 30, 2018. Any extension of this position is subject to approval.
- Education: completion of a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in public administration, business administration or related field. A Master's Degree is preferred, and can be substituted for a portion of the required experience.
- Experience: Four (4) years of full-time, progressive experience in public relations community engagement, marketing, or closely related field in government, non-profit, or public sector setting
- Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated from past and current employment history.
- Job Expertise: knowledge of City's organizational structure and functions and the principles, practices and challenges of the City organization, administration, and management. Knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations.
- Communication Skills: communicates and listens effectively and responds in a timely, effective, positive and respectful manner; written reports and correspondence are accurate, complete, current; well organized, legible, concise, neat, and in proper grammatical form.
- Initiative: exhibits resourceful behaviors toward meeting job objectives; anticipates problems, is proactive, and avoids difficulties by planning ahead; displays willingness to assume extra responsibility and challenges; pursues continuing education opportunities that promotes job performance.
- Analytical Thinking: approaches a situation or problem by defining the issue; identifies a set of features, parameters, or considerations to take into account, collects and analyzes data, uses logic and intuition to arrive at conclusions and recommendations.
- Strategic Thinking: formulates strategies that are achievable, cost-effective, and address organizational goals by themselves or in coordination with other strategies.
- Leadership: leads by example; serves as appropriate role model; demonstrates high ethical standards; remains visible and approachable and interacts with others on a regular basis; promotes a cooperative work environment.
- Team Work & Interpersonal Skills: demonstrates a positive attitude and flexibility along with the ability to develop effective relationships with co-workers, supervisors, consultants, and contractors.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application, resume, and responses to the Job Specific Questions. You must answer all job-specific questions and complete the Education/Work History section of the application in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration.
Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process. Additional phases of the selection process will consist of one or more interviews, one of which may include a practical/writing exercise.
You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions during the online application process:
- Do you possess a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university?
- If yes, indicate name of school and major.
- Do you have (4) years of professional progressive experience in public relations, community engagement, marketing, or closely related field in a government, non-profit or public sector setting level analytic and/or administrative experience?
- If yes, please explain.
- Please briefly describe your experiences in community engagement activities and working with a diverse population.
- Please describe your particular skills and abilities that you believe would make you a successful member of the City Manager's Office with a focus on skills and abilities related to the Senior Executive Analyst position responsible for managing the implementation of the Diridon Station Area Civic Engagement program.
You must answer all job-specific questions in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration.
If you have questions about the duties of these positions, the selection or hiring processes, please contact Alfredo Iraheta at (408) 535-8174 or by email at Alfredo.Iraheta@sanjoseca.gov.