The Water Resources Division (Division) is comprised of three sections: Municipal Water System (MWS), South Bay Water Recycling (SBWR), and Operations and Maintenance (O & M). The Division provides potable water service through the MWS to the communities of Evergreen, North San José/Alviso, Edenvale, and Coyote. The MWS consists of 350 miles of pipeline, 15 pump stations, 14 wells, and 18 reservoirs, and serves a growing population of over 115,000 in a 33.3 square mile service area. The Division also provides recycled water service through the SBWR system to the cities of San José, Santa Clara, and Milpitas. In addition, the Division also leads water conservation efforts for the City of San José.
The Division is currently seeking to fill one Senior Engineer position in the MWS section. This position is located at the MWS office, at 3025 Tuers Road, San Jose.
This position is responsible for work of considerable difficulty in managing and supervising the MWS, a group of engineering and technical staff performing work related to the operation, improvement, and long-term reliability planning for the MWS. The position reports to the Principal Engineer of the MWS.
The Senior Engineer manages and implements a water supply master plan to serve current and future customers; develops new water supply infrastructure; manages the Capital Improvement Program (CIP), and ensures continued compliance with water quality standards. The Senior Engineer is also responsible for preparing the annual CIP budget and ensuring that projects are completed on time and on budget in accordance with AWWA Standards. Duties will also include the planning and implementation of infrastructure installation and replacement projects and/or programs, and local and regional water coordination for San Jose MWS. The goal is for incumbent to acquire the necessary knowledge, experience, and certification as necessary to effectively support the growth of a mid-sized drinking water utility.
Appointments to this position require disclosure of outside investments, real property interests, income, and business positions through Form 700. More information on requirements and disclosure can be found at this website - http://www.fppc.ca.gov/Form700.html
Typical duties include but are not limited to:
- Leads and manages the work group including: prioritizing and assigning work, conducting performance evaluations, ensuring staff is trained, making hiring, termination, and disciplinary recommendations.
- Directs and reviews CIP projects, including assessment of plans and specifications for conformance to established standards.
- Leads and/or oversees the formulation, preparation, and implementation of master plans, water operation plans, and water quality monitoring plans.
- Represents the City with contractors, consulting firms, and/or public agencies at meetings concerning City policy and/or engineering projects. Work effectively and tactfully in associated communications.
- Performs technical research and complete thorough analyses of engineering and financial data and reports, as needed to identify and implement recommended actions.
- Directs the collection and analysis of field data and prepare recommendations.
- Ability to obtain California State Water Distribution Operator Certification.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
1. Education: A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in Civil or Mechanical Engineering or a closely related field.
2. Experience: Five (5) years of increasingly responsible professional experience in Civil or Mechanical engineering, or a closely related engineering field.
3. Licenses: California Professional Engineer Certification in Civil or Mechanical Engineering. If P.E. certification is from another state, a California P.E. certification must be obtained within one year of date of hire. Candidate must also possess or be able to obtain a valid Class C California Driver License.
4. Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent, or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
Job Expertise - demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations, including:
Analytical Thinking - approaches a problem or situation by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach.
Collaboration - develops networks and builds alliances; engages in cross-functional activities.
Communication Skills - effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills; displays openness to other people's ideas and thoughts.
Leadership - leads by example; demonstrates high ethical standards; remains visible and approachable and interacts with others on a regular basis; promotes a cooperative work environment, allowing others to learn from mistakes; provides motivational supports and direction.
Planning - acts to align own unit's goals with the strategic direction of the organization; defines tasks and milestones to achieve objectives, while ensuring the optimal use of resources to meet those objectives.
Problem Solving - approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; determines the significance of problem(s); collects information; uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome
Teamwork & Interpersonal Skills - develops effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application and responses to the Job Specific Questions. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process. Additional phases of the selection process will consist of one or more interviews, one of which may include a practical/writing exercise.
You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions (IN DETAIL) during the online application process. Please note that there is a 4,000-character limit, including spaces, for each text response.
- Regarding your Bachelor's or higher degree in Civil or Mechanical Engineering or a closely related field from an accredited college or university, please specify the degree received, field of study, name, and location of the college/university.
- Please indicate the type(s) of Professional Engineer (P.E.) license, license number(s), expiration date(s) and the state(s) where you are registered.
- Please list any other professional certifications and/or licenses (i.e. State of CA Water Distribution (D) and/or Water Treatment (T) Operator, etc.) you have that are relevant to the position for which you are applying. Include certification agency, license number(s), date(s) received and expiration date(s).
- Please describe your progressively responsible professional civil, mechanical, or other closely related engineering experience. Please include any experience you have performing work related to the operation, improvement, design, and/or planning of a utility system. State the job title(s), dates of employment, and name of employer(s). Your response should be consistent with your job history.
- Please describe your experience dealing with the public, business representatives, governmental agencies, and senior management within your organization. Include the types of situations involved for each and include the mode of communication used, with emphasis on any reports developed or presentations made. Your response should be consistent with your job history.
- Please describe your experience managing a group in a result-oriented setting. Identify the two or three most critical tools needed to achieve success. Your response should be consistent with your job history.
You must answer all job-specific questions to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and may be withheld from further consideration.
If you have questions about the duties of this position, the selection or hiring processes, please contact My Truong, Sr. Employment Analyst at Myphuong.Truong@sanjoseca.gov.