The Department of Public Works is seeking to fill a vacant Carpenter position. This position requires journey-level carpentry skill to maintain and carry out improvements to City owned facilities. The incumbent also needs the ability to recognize the correct tool for the task and be familiar with the safe and effective use of power and hand tools of the carpentry trade. This position is assigned to the Building Trades section of the Citywide Facilities Management Division, and works alongside the various trades consisting of carpentry, lock services, painting, and plumbing. Typical duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Construction and repair projects including wood and metal framing, and including aspects of rough and finished carpentry.
- Installation of doors and windows (metal, wood, fiberglass) and related hardware.
- Re-configuring and assembly of modular office cubicle and furniture including partitions.
- Construction of floors, fences, benches, decks, ramps, stairs and handrails.
- Perform minor cabinet construction and repair.
- Mounting of miscellaneous wall items (shelving, white boards, picture frames, clocks, etc.).
- Demolition and hauling of materials, as projects require.
- Work and communicate well with customers, including co-workers, other trades, client department personnel, management, and the general public.
- Follow written and oral instruction, interpret plans, construction drawings, and adhere to building codes and specifications to perform the work required.
- Promote teamwork and work as part of a team, including taking the lead as well as a supporting role to complete projects.
- Provide project status as and when needed.
- Consistently lift construction related materials (approx. weight of up to 100lbs.).
- Adopt appropriate safety working procedures.
This position will be expected to works varied hours, including overtime, weekends, and holidays.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
- Experience: Any combination of training and experience equivalent to successful completion of a recognized carpentry apprenticeship program. (This must be supported by the information provided in your on-line application and/or resume. Examples of equivalent experience include at least five years of full-time carpentry experience (10,400 hours) working for a trades carpenter).
- Licenses or Certificates: Possession of a valid drivers license authorizing operation of a motor vehicle in the State of California.
Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
Job Expertise: Candidate has completed a recognized carpentry apprenticeship and has continued to work as a journey level carpenter, or has worked for a licensed contractor carrying out journey level carpentry related work. Experience providing training to apprentices and trainees; possess a valid California driver’s license and is able to meet insurability standards; ability to read and interpret plans, construction drawings and work from oral and written instructions; ability to move and lift heavy items and materials related to the construction industry (approx. up to 80-100lbs.) and being able to perform the physical aspects of the job.
Project Management: Ensures support for projects and implements agency goals and strategic objectives.
Communication Skills: Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills; displays openness to other people’s ideas and thoughts.
Customer Service: Demonstrates the ability to anticipate customer’s needs and deliver services effectively and efficiently using professional demeanor.
Flexibility: Makes effective decisions and achieves desired results in the midst of major changes in responsibilities, work processes, time-frames, performance expectations, organizational culture, or work environment.
Problem Solving: Approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; determines the significance of problem(s); collects information; uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome.
Reliability: Completes quality work assignments in a timely and efficient manner; fulfills responsibilities and maintains confidentiality as appropriate.
Teamwork and Interpersonal Skills: Develops effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application and responses to the Job Specific Questions. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process. Additional phases of the selection process will consist of one or more interviews.
You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions during the online application process. Please note that there is a 4,000-character limit, including spaces, for each text response.
- Please indicate where and when you completed a carpentry apprenticeship program or describe your equivalent training and experience. (Your response must be supported by your work history and/or resume).
- Tell us about your experience reading and interpreting plans and construction drawings.
- Describe your experience constructing, modifying, or altering structure using plans and construction drawings. In your response, describe how you have completed work assignments in the level of quality that is expected.
- Please describe your role in project management. In your response, provide an example of a recent project you’ve completed, your role and the outcome.
You must answer all job-specific questions in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration.
If you have questions about the duties of these positions, the selection or hiring processes, please contact Colin Braslin at email@example.com.