The actual salary shall be determined by the final candidate’s qualifications and experience. In addition to the starting salary, employees in the Program Manager classification shall also receive an approximate five percent (5%) ongoing non-pensionable compensation pay.
The Finance Department is seeking a Program Manager I in the Revenue Management Division. Under general supervision from the Deputy Director, the Program Manager directs and manages the day-to-day operations for the Utility Billing function of the Revenue Management Division. The Program Manager has one direct report and seven indirect reports and leads the billing and collection function for City facilitated water, solid waste collection, storm sewer, and sanitary sewer services.
The organizational structure consists of the following Divisions:
- Revenue Management, Banking, and Administration
The Finance Department and its personnel demonstrate a strong commitment to teamwork, fiscal responsibility and building lasting partnerships.
The essential duties of the Program Manager I position will also include:
· Supervise all aspects of the Utility Billing function, including resolving
customer inquiries and escalations
· Establish job expectations, performing probationary and annual performance
appraisals, and managing performance and disciplinary issues
· Lead system implementation teams to define financial and billing functions,
document procedures, develop testing scenarios and defining system test
· Develop, implement, and evaluate policies, procedures, and practices and
initiate actions for continuous process improvements
· Prepares revenue forecasting, reconciles Utility Billing sub-system to the
Financial Management System (FMS) and evaluates reserves for the
allowance for doubtful accounts
· Oversee and provide technical advice on issues related to Utility Billing
· Coordinate with other City, departments as needed
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, or related field.
Experience: Five years of directly related experience, including two years of supervisory experience.
Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
The ideal candidate will possess the most desirable combination of training, skills and experience, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
Job Expertise - Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations.
Communication Skills - Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, verbally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills; displays openness to other people’s ideas and thoughts.
Customer Service - Demonstrates the ability to anticipate customers' needs and deliver services effectively and efficiently using professional demeanor.
Management - Evaluates priorities to ensure the 'true' top priorities are handled satisfactorily; sets clear goals for the employees and the work unit.
Problem Solving - Approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; determining the significance of the problem; collecting information; using logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions that achieve the desired outcome.
Supervision - Sets effective long- and short-term goals based on a good understanding of management practices; establishes realistic priorities within available resources; provides motivational support; empowers others; assigns decision-making and work functions to others in an appropriate manner to maximize organizational and individual effectiveness.
Planning – Acts to align own unit's goals with the strategic direction of the organization; Defines tasks and milestones to achieve objectives, while ensuring the optimal use of resources to meet those objectives.
Team Work & Interpersonal Skills - Develops effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks, and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application and responses to the Job Specific Questions. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process. Additional phases of the selection process will consist of one or more interviews, one of which may include a practical/writing exercise.
You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions during the online application process. Please note that there is a 4,000-character limit, including spaces, for each text response.
- Please indicate the college or university and the field in which you obtained your degree
- Do you have at least 5 years of relevant experience? If so, please summarize your experience that qualifies you for the Program Manger I position.
- Do you have at least two years of supervisory experience? If so, please describe your experience supervising employees including the number and classifications of direct and indirect reports for each position you have held management responsibilities.
- Do you have experience implementing or administering a billing system? If so, please include details on the specific role and responsibilities you have performed.
- Why do you want to work for the City of San Jose? What interests you most about this job?
You must answer all job-specific questions in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration.
If you have questions about the duties of these positions, the selection or hiring processes, please contact Jun Kim at email@example.com.
-Link to Benefits page
-Link to Department website