The City of San Jose's Planning, Building and Code Enforcement (PBCE) Department is recruiting to fill one Senior Engineer position in its Building Division. The Building Division is a part of the Development Services team, and consists of four Core Groups. These four Groups are: Permit Center, Plan Review, Expedited Review, and Inspection Groups.
This position is currently approved through June 30, 2019; however, the department has proposed to extend the position to June 30, 2020. Additionally, the position is added to the proposed budget as a permanent position for fiscal year 2019 - 2020, which is subject to approval.
The Senior Engineers in PBCE’s Building Division perform a variety of professional and supervisory assignments including, coordinating and directing the activities of a group of engineers and inspectors in reviewing complex professional plans and calculations to ensure compliance with uniform codes, engineering principles, Federal, State and local ordinances and regulations.
As a working senior engineer, typical duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Leads and supervises engineers, architects, building inspectors in reviewing complex professional structural and architectural plans and calculations to ensure compliance with the technical codes (e.g. Building, Electrical, Plumbing and Mechanical), structural engineering principles, disabled access regulations and other state and local ordinances and regulations.
- Assigns and monitors staff workload.
- Evaluates job performance of plan check engineers and architects, inspectors assigned to plan review, and/or non-technical personnel.
- Advises professional engineers, architects and others concerning code requirements, engineering and planning problems arising in the preliminary design of buildings and structures.
- Develops, directs and/or implements technical training programs.
- Prepares written guidelines and policies to facilitate consistent application of the technical codes, ordinances and regulations within the work group.
- Coordinates and directs technical and non-technical staff in the issuance of building permits.
- Understands, promotes and supports City Service Area’s Business Plans and the core services of the Department by implementing "Superior Customer Service through Successful Partnerships".
- Coordinates with other City departments and agencies, and confers with elected officials.
- Meets with professional and business groups.
- Conducts safety assessments of unsafe buildings and leads programs in enforcing compliance with the all Building Ordinance.
- Leads program assessment efforts in streamlining of the current plan review process and evaluating/implementing software for the electronic plan review.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
1. Education: A Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in Architecture, Engineering or a closely related field (e.g., Construction Management).
2. Experience: Five (5) years of progressively responsible professional experience in architecture, building construction contracting, or engineering work.
3. Licenses or Certificates:
- Possession of a valid State of California driver's license may be required
- Possession of a valid professional Certificate of Registration with the State of California as an Engineer or Architect.
- Possession of a valid Building Plan Examiner certification from the International Code Council (ICC) within 6 months of employment.
Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
Job Expertise - Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices, and federal and state rules and regulations. Including but not limit to:
* Knowledge of the laws, ordinances and standards relative to the construction and inspection of buildings and other municipal facilities.
* Knowledge of the current building codes, including mechanical, plumbing, and electrical.
* Knowledge of the modern methods, materials and equipment employed in construction.
* Ability to direct inspections and achieve compliance with contracts, construction plans and specifications.
* Knowledge of safe construction practices.
* Experienced in managing, developing, planning, and/or implementing code compliance programs for a municipality is highly desirable.
A Master’s Degree desirable.
Leadership - Leads by example; demonstrates high ethical standards; remains visible and approachable and interacts with others on a regular basis; promotes a cooperative work environment, allowing others to learn from mistakes; provides motivational supports and direction.
Management - Evaluates priorities to ensure the 'true' top priorities are handled satisfactorily; sets clear goals for the employees and the work unit.
Communication Skills - Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills; displays openness to other people’s ideas and thoughts.
Collaboration - Develops networks and builds alliances; engages in cross-functional activities.
Customer Service - Demonstrates the ability to anticipate customers' needs and deliver services effectively and efficiently using professional demeanor.
Problem Solving - Approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; determines the significance of problem; collects information; uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome.
Project Management - Ensures support for projects and implements agency goals and strategic objectives.
A cover letter and resume is required for this position.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application, cover letter and resume, and responses to the Job Specific Questions. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process. Additional phases of the selection process will consist of one or more interviews, one of which may include a practical/writing exercise and/or a presentation.
You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions during the online application process. Please note that there is a 4,000-character limit, including spaces, for each text response.
1. Please indicate type of degree(s) and major(s) that you have.
2. Describe your experience that supports your meeting the requirements for Senior Engineer. In your response, please include name of employer, duration of employment, full time or part time, and detailed job duties.
3. Describe your customer service philosophy and provide an example of how you applied this in the workplace.
4. Describe your project management experience in detail, including the project(s) you managed, the management tool(s) you used, and the outcome(s).
5. In 500 words or fewer, please describe your knowledge and experience in applying the technical codes (e.g. California Building Code, California Residential Code, California Electrical Code, California Plumbing Code, and/or California Mechanical Code), structural regulations, California disabled access regulations, California energy conservation regulations and/or City ordinances including your years of experience.
6. Describe your experience with leading and/or training subordinates and establishing work schedules, procedures, and training. In addition, briefly describe the challenges you foresee in leading a team of employees including technical support to professional staff providing customer services to a large customer base with diverse background.
You must answer all job-specific questions in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration.
If you have questions about the duties of these positions, the selection or hiring processes, please contact Jun Kim via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.