The Administrative Services Division provides key support to fiscal & accounting, employee services, budget & fund management, information technology, and clerical services. This position belongs to the ESD Information Technology team (ESD IT) that is responsible for providing technology support to ESD and it reports to one of two application managers. This position includes, among other duties, supporting technology systems for an illegal dumping inspection system and a world-class Wastewater Laboratory. The primary work site for this position is the Regional Wastewater Facility at Los Esteros Road.
The actual salary shall be determined by the final candidate’s qualifications and experience. In addition to the starting salary, employees in the Systems Application Programmer classification shall also receive an approximate five percent (5%) ongoing non-pensionable compensation pay.
This is the entry level class in the Systems Applications Programmer series. An employee of this class performs systems applications programming analytical work of routine difficulty.
The ESD Systems Applications Programmer will be responsible for reviewing and analyzing program change requests for completeness and compatibility with supported systems. They will prepare detailed documentation and operating instructions of fully operational programs, convert program specification requirements of limited scope into computer programs, and confer with operating department users, superiors, and other technical personnel in resolving problems encountered in the support of programs. They will extract and analyze data from systems and present reports to end-users and management. They will perform basic end-user customer support and training for applications.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
Education: A Baccalaureate Degree from an accredited college or university in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Business Administration, or a closely related field.
Systems Applications Programmer I: One (1) year experience in computer systems applications programming.
Systems Application Programmer II: Two (2) years of computer
systems applications programming experience.
Acceptable Substitution: Additional years of directly related work experience may be substituted for up to a maximum of two (2) years of the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis. There will be no substitute for the one (1) year work experience requirement for the Systems Applications Programmer I or the two (2) years of work experience for Systems Application Programmer II
Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
Job Expertise: Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Ability to create Oracle stored procedures to extract data and create Excel spreadsheets for customers.
· Ability to create or modify Excel spreadsheets using Visual Basic for Applications to extract data from various systems.
· Knowledge of and ability to use graphic user interface technology or application development tools.
· Knowledge of Office 365 productivity suite applications such as Excel and Access.
· Ability to provide end-user customer support for supported systems.
· Ability to analyze customer business needs and incorporate solutions into existing systems; including developing new reports, updating SQL data queries, adding database fields, etc.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Ability to create management reports and dashboards using tools such as Crystal Reports.
· Knowledge of chemical analysis methods and laboratory data management systems
· Ability to create SharePoint Online web content, lists and apps.
· Knowledge of and ability to use Powershell to automate administrative tasks.
Analytical Thinking: Approaches a problem or situation by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach.
Teamwork & Interpersonal Skills: Develops effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
Communication Skills: Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills; displays openness to other people's ideas and thoughts.
Customer Service: Demonstrates the ability to anticipate customers' needs and deliver services effectively and efficiently using professional demeanor.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application and responses to the Job Specific Questions. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process.
You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions during the online application process. Please note that there is a 4,000-character limit, including spaces, for each text response.
- Please describe in detail your experience in computer systems applications programming. List job title, employer, and dates of employment. Your answer must be consistent with your job history.
- Please describe your most significant project in which you had to gather information, interpret and prepare design specifications in order to write application code. If not applicable, please type N/A.
- Please list and describe your years of experience creating or modifying Microsoft SQL Server or Oracle stored procedures views, tables and functions. If not applicable, please type N/A.
- Please list and describe your years of experience with designing and generating Crystal reports using sub reports, calculated fields, parameters and barcodes. If not applicable, please type N/A.
- Please describe your experience creating procedural documentation, manuals or other technical guides for customers. Describe types of documentation and methods of distribution. In not applicable, please type N/A.
You must answer all job-specific questions in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration.
If you have questions about the duties of these positions, the selection or hiring processes, please contact Maria Lane at Maria.Lane@sanjoseca.gov