This position is responsible for performing legal secretarial duties requiring both sound judgment and good technical skills. These duties may include, but are not limited to, transcribing, preparing, processing, and e-filing pleadings/briefs in the various state and federal courts; preparing and processing correspondence, contracts, ordinances, resolutions, City Council memoranda, and other legal documents and instruments; maintaining calendars for attorneys; answering telephones and contacting other offices to provide, obtain, and/or coordinate information and/or appearances; and performing office filing; as well as organizing and maintaining a wide variety of information and materials in support of attorneys. The skill level of this position places strong emphasis on accuracy, quality, and attention to detail. A strong knowledge base of legal procedures and court rules (federal and state) is desirable. This position involves a variety of legal matters including civil litigation, workers' compensation, and all aspects of municipal law. Incumbent must be proficient in the use of personal computers and able to work with various types of software in the Windows environment.
The successful candidate will be hired at the Legal Administrative Assistant II level. The annual salary range for a Legal Administrative Assistant II is $62,899.20 to $76,440.
Additionally, this classification also receives a 5% ongoing non-pensionable pay in addition to the salary listed.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this department. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
Training and experience equivalent to:
- Education: Graduation from high school or equivalent (G.E.D or California Proficiency Certificate).
- Experience: Legal Administrative Assistant II: Three (3) years of experience in legal secretarial work including one (1) year at a level comparable to Legal Administrative Assistant I with the City of San José.
- Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
- Job Expertise - Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with court rules, and procedures for state and federal court systems, including familiarity with legal terminology, court practices, and legal procedures; law office practices and procedures; Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations.
- Communication Skills - Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills; displays openness to other people's ideas and thoughts.
- Computer Skills - Experienced with common business computer applications including but not limited to: MS Outlook, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Access, and MS Excel.
- Teamwork & Interpersonal Skills - Develops effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
- Customer Service - Demonstrates the ability to anticipate customers' needs and deliver services effectively and efficiently using professional demeanor.
- Initiative - Exhibits resourceful behaviors toward meeting job objectives; anticipates problems, is proactive, and avoids difficulties by planning ahead; displays willingness to assume extra responsibility and challenges; pursues continuing education opportunities that promotes job performance.
- Multi-Tasking – Can handle multiple projects and responsibilities simultaneously; has handled a wide variety of assignments in past and/or current position(s).
- Problem Solving – Approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; determines the significance of problem(s); collects information; uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome.
- Reliability - Completes quality work assignments in a timely and efficient manner; fulfills responsibilities and maintains confidentiality as appropriate.
- Completion of some legal or college level coursework, which could include an Associates or a Bachelor’s degree.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application, resume, answers to the job-specific questions, practical exercises, interview, references, and background check, including obtaining criminal history records. Only those candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be forwarded to the interview and practical exercise phases of the selection process.
You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions during the online application process. Please note that there is a 4,000-character limit, including spaces, for each text response. Please answer these questions a thoroughly as possible. "See resume" is not a sufficient answer.
- What is your experience preparing pleadings for the State, Federal and Appellate Courts and what type of pleadings are you familiar with? (i.e., motions, discovery documents, appellate briefs, trial documents, etc.). Please describe the areas of law in which you worked related to preparation of these pleadings.
- Have you worked on a group project in your employment in the legal sector? Please describe an example where you worked collaboratively with other employees and work groups in the legal sector, and the outcome.
You must answer all job-specific questions in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration.
If you have any questions concerning the duties of this position, please contact Tina Nasseri at firstname.lastname@example.org