The Community Energy Department is seeking to fill one (1) Senior Budget Analyst position in the Budget and Financial Management Division. This position reports to the Division Manager and will work closely with the City Manager’s Budget Office.
The Senior Budget Analyst will be responsible for leading the team during the annual budget process by developing budgets, monitoring, and analyzing program expenditures, and providing additional analysis of activity data. This position places a strong emphasis on efficiency, initiative, and requires solid analytical skills (gathering, analyzing, and evaluating data). This position will supply information that will be used in collaboration with other City departments.
Typical duties of this position may include, but are not limited to:
- Prepares and monitors the department or division budget; prepares revenue estimates and forecasts; establishes fees and charges; prepares and monitors operating and capital budgets, grants, contracts, and other financial transactions.
- Uses automated data processing applications, including spreadsheets and databases, to analyze and present information; uses word processing software to review, revise and format documents for department needs and record keeping; uses e-mail system, calendaring and scheduling with effective, clear, and concise written communication.
- Prepares and presents administrative data to executive staff in preparation for various audiences (i.e., City Council, Community Advisory Committee, and various regulatory agencies).
- Assist with development of Council memos related to budget and ensure accuracy and accountability in financial areas such as purchasing, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and payment processing.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
The current salary range for Senior Analyst is: $88,088.00 - $107,328.00
The actual salary shall be determined by the final candidate’s qualifications and experience.
In addition to the starting salary, employees in the Senior Analyst classification shall also receive an approximate five percent (5%) ongoing, non-pensionable, compensation pay.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
- Job Expertise – Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations.
- Fiscal Management – Understands the relationship of the budget and resources to the strategic plan; complies with administrative controls over funds, contracts, and procurements.
- Problem Solving – Approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; determines the significance of problem; collects information; uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome.
- Leadership - Leads by example; demonstrates high ethical standards; remains visible and approachable and interacts with others on a regular basis; promotes a cooperative work environment, allowing others to learn from mistakes; provides motivational support and direction.
- Analytical Thinking – Approaching a problem or situation by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach.
- Teamwork & Interpersonal Skills – Develops effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
- Planning - Acts to align own unit's goals with the strategic direction of the organization; defines tasks and milestones to achieve objectives, while ensuring the optimal use of resources to meet those objectives.
- Communication Skills – Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills and displays openness to other people’s ideas and thoughts.
- Education: A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university
- Experience: Four (4) years of increasingly responsible experience in general management/administrative analytic work in the areas of budget, finance, grant administration, organizational analysis, general administration, human resources, or related field in general analytical work
- Acceptable Substitutions: One (1) year of additional education above the Bachelor’s Degree level may be substituted for one (1) year of the required management/administrative analytic work.
- Licenses or Certificates: Valid California Driver’s License may be required.
Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San José will NOT sponsor, represent, or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant’s training and experience based on the application, cover letter and resume, and responses to the Job Specific Questions. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process. Additional phases of the selection process will consist of one or more interviews, one of which may include a practical/writing exercise.
You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions during the online application process. Please note that there is a 4,000-character limit, including spaces, for applicable text response.
1. Please select the best option that describes how you meet the minimum qualifications for the Senior Analyst position:
A) I have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university and four (4) years of increasingly responsible experience in general management/administrative analytic work in the areas of budget, finance, grant administration, organizational analysis, general administration, human resources or related field in general analytical work
B) I have a Master's degree or higher from an accredited college or university and at least three (3) years of increasingly responsible experience in general management/administrative analytic work in the areas of budget, finance, grant administration, organizational analysis, general administration, human resources or related field in general analytical work.
C) I do not meet the minimum requirement for this position.
2. Please specify your degree, field of study, and the college or university where you obtained your degree. You may also include any additional degrees or applicable certifications that you have achieved.
3. Please describe your increasingly responsible experience in general management/administrative analytic work in the areas of budget, finance, grant administration, organizational analysis, general administration, human resources or related field in general analytical work. In your response, specify the years of experience and the employers where you obtained your experience. Your response must be consistent with your work history.4. Please describe your experience in developing, monitoring, and reporting on operating and/or capital budgets? Specify your role including the size and complexity of the budget you managed, and an example of an accomplishment or process improvement you achieved in your work of managing an operational budget.
5. Please describe a situation in which you independently made a decision to solve a problem. Please describe how you analyzed the problem, factors you considered, and how you developed your recommendations and implementation plan.
6. Please share your experience working on a complex project where you performed analytical work of considerable difficulty and formulated recommendations? Please describe the steps you took in completing the analysis and arriving at your recommendation.
You must answer all job-specific questions in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration.
If you have questions about the duties of these positions, the selection or hiring processes, please contact Michelle Saechao at: email@example.com