The actual salary shall be determined by the final candidate’s qualifications and experience. In addition to the starting salary, employees in the Administrative Assistant classification shall also receive an approximate five percent (5%) ongoing non-pensionable compensation pay.
Come join the award-winning San José Public Library as our new Administrative Assistant! The Administrative Assistant will directly support the Library Director and will allocate resources in support of the nine-member Executive Leadership Team. This is an exciting time of innovation and change for the San José Public Library. The Administrative Assistant will also supervise the Library's Administrative Support Staff in a professional, positive and supportive team environment. This position will also support the Library and Early Care Commission, so attention to detail is critical and the ability multi-task is a must. So bring your dedication to excellent customer service, positive attitude and commitment to collaboration and apply for the San José Public Library's Administrative Assistant position.
The essential duties of this Administrative Assistant position include but are not limited to:
Providing administrative support to the Director and facilitating the completion of Department action items including maintenance of the Director's calendar
Supervising and leading other administrative classifications and receptionists
Acting as Council Memo Liaison for the Library Department
Preparing the Director's agenda packets for upcoming Council, Committee meetings, and Commission meetings
Providing the administrative support to manage the Library and Early Education Commission
Producing the agenda packet for the weekly Executive Leadership Team meetings
Preparing various documents on behalf of the Director, Deputy Directors, Administrative Officer, and Division Managers
Compiling all supporting documentation for the Director and Executive Leadership Team's travel requests, statement of travel expenses, and credit card statements
Participating in interpreting and communicating City policies and procedures to department staff
Typing, proofreading and editing council memos, information memos and all other correspondence for the Director and Library Management Team
Establishing a management filing system that incorporates both hard copy files and the Library's shared drives and Sharepoint sites
Answering phones and directing phone calls to appropriate staff
Ensuring filing systems are properly maintained, including assisting in department records retention policy compliance
This position will be required to work one night a month in support of the Library and Early Education Commission
- Education: Completion of high school or equivalent (General Education Development [GED] Test or California Proficiency Certificate).
- Experience: Six (6) years of experience in clerical and secretarial work, including two (2) years providing individual support to an executive.
- Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
- Job Expertise - demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations.
- Computer Skills - experience with common business computer applications including but not limited to: MS Outlook, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, and MS Excel.
- Customer Service - demonstrates the ability to anticipate customers' needs and deliver services effectively and efficiently in a timely, accurate, respectful and friendly manner
- Initiative - Exhibits resourceful behaviors toward meeting job objectives; anticipates problems, is proactive, and avoids difficulties by planning ahead; displays willingness to assume extra responsibility and challenges; pursues continuing education opportunities that promotes job performance.
- Multi-Tasking - Can handle multiple projects and responsibilities simultaneously; has handled a wide variety of assignments in past and/or current position(s).
- Problem Solving - approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; determines the significance of problem(s); collects information; uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome.
- Supervision - sets effective long and short-term goals based on a good understanding of management practices; establishes realistic priorities within available resources
- Team Work & Interpersonal Skills - demonstrates a positive attitude and flexibility along with the ability to develop effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
- Communication Skills - Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills; displays openness to other people’s ideas and thoughts.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application and responses to the Job Specific Questions. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process. Additional phases of the selection process will consist of one or more interviews, one of which may include a practical/writing exercise.
You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions (IN DETAIL) during the online application process. Please note that there is a 4,000-character limit, including spaces, for each text response.
- Have you successfully completed high school or equivalent (General Education Development [GED] Test or California Proficiency Certificate)?
- Do you have at least six years of experience in clerical and secretarial work, including two years providing individual support to a high level executive (i.e., Division Manager, Deputy Director or above, or CEO)?
- If you have at least six years of experience in clerical and secretarial work, including two years providing individual support to a high level executive, briefly specify the positions you have held, years of experience, and job duties/responsibilities where you earned this experience.
- Describe in detail your experience maintaining executives' calendars and making travel arrangements.
- Describe your experience creating, proofreading or editing correspondences such as memorandums, Council Memos, presentation materials and other various documents, highlighting any public sector experience you may have.
- Describe your experience supervising staff and how you build a supportive and collaborative team environment for your staff.
You must answer all job-specific questions in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration.
If you have questions about the duties of these positions, please contact Ann Grabowski at Ann.Grabowski@sjlibrary.org.
If you have questions about the selection or hiring processes, please contact Renee Bettencourt at firstname.lastname@example.org.