Please note that applications are currently not accepted through CalOpps or any other third party job board application system. To apply, applicants must complete an application via the City of San Jose’s website at www.sanjoseca.gov/citycareers.
The actual salary shall be determined by the final candidate’s qualifications and experience. In addition to the starting salary, employees in this classification shall also receive an approximate five percent (5%) ongoing non-pensionable compensation pay.
This position performs professional level administrative work for the Office of Employee Relations. Some of the duties of the position may include:
· Researching, interpreting, and analyzing labor contract issues
· Conducting surveys of other employers regarding pay and benefits
· Consulting with and advising supervisors on employee performance and conduct issues
· Participating in various aspects of labor negotiations, including attending labor negotiation sessions, drafting proposals/correspondence, and conducting cost analysis of proposals
· Developing and interpreting employee-related policies
· Giving oral presentations to small and large groups of employees and supervisors on employee relations issues
· Conducting investigations involving potential employee misconduct, including writing investigative reports, and assisting departments with the disciplinary process when needed
· Making decisions quickly and at times with limited supervision
· Carrying out other special projects as assigned
- Education: Completion of a Bachelor's Degree in public administration, business administration or a related field from an accredited college or university.
- Experience: Executive Analyst I (U) – None. Executive Analyst II (U) – Two (2) years of increasingly responsible professional staff analytic or administrative experience at the level of Analyst I with the City of San Jose.
- Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent, or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
The ideal candidate will possess the most desirable combination of skills, abilities, and experience. These include:
Job Expertise - demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations.
· Honesty and Integrity
· Ability and comfort to exercise sound, independent judgment
· Strong work ethic
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
· Excellent analytical skills
· Ability to present complicated concepts to small and large audiences
· Excellent written communication, including a demonstrated command of grammar and report-writing ability
· Excellent project management
· Excellent time management skills
· Ability to appropriately handle very sensitive and confidential information
· Ability to maintain a positive attitude in challenging situations
Communication Skills - communicates and listens effectively and responds in a timely, effective, positive and respectful manner; written reports and correspondence are accurate, complete, current; well-organized, legible, concise, neat, and in proper grammatical form.
Customer Service - approaches problem-solving by focusing on customers first; demonstrates the ability to anticipate customers' needs and deliver services effectively and efficiently in a timely, accurate, respectful and friendly manner.
Initiative - exhibits self-directed, resourceful and creative behaviors toward meeting job objectives; anticipates problems, is proactive, and avoids difficulties by planning ahead; displays willingness to assume extra responsibility or workload and accept challenges; pursue continuing educational opportunities which promote enhanced job performance.
Maintaining Personal Credibility/Meeting Ethical Standards - When confronted with ethical dilemmas, acts in a way that reflects relevant law, policy and procedures, agency values, and personal values.
Team Work & Interpersonal Skills - demonstrates a positive attitude and flexibility along with the ability to develop effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application and responses to the Job Specific Questions. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to the interview and written examination phases of the selection process.
The supplemental questionnaire is required for all applicants and must be submitted along with the resume and a cover letter. Responses to questions #1-4 should not exceed a total of three (3) pages. The supplemental questionnaire will be used to assist in the selection of applicants that will be invited to participate in an interview process and will be assessed for both content and writing ability.
- What interests you about working in the City of San Jose’s Office of Employee Relations? For applicants who are not current City of San Jose employees, please include a description of the factors that influenced you to apply to work for the City of San Jose and specifically this position in the Office of Employee Relations.
- Please describe your particular skills and abilities that you believe would make you a successful member of the Office of Employee Relations.
- Please describe your experience in handling extremely confidential information, including the nature of the information and the steps you took to maintain confidentiality.
- Please describe your prior experience developing and giving presentations, in professional writing, and conducting data and/or cost analysis. Please highlight any relevant labor and/or employee relations experience.