The Public Works Department is looking to fill two (2) Air Conditioning Mechanic vacancies. The Air Conditioning Mechanic position is responsible for performing HVAC duties at more than 200 civic building sites across San Jose. The position will be responsible for performing the operational support, adjustment, troubleshooting, repair and preventative maintenance of heating, ventilating, air conditioning systems and auxiliary equipment.
This position will require controls experience, mechanical equipment experience, and water treatment experience.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Inspecting, repairing, performing preventative maintenance and routine testing of heating, cooling, air-conditioning, ventilating equipment and controls; and chiller and low pressure boiler maintenance.
- Operating, diagnosing, and programming HVAC equipment and systems via computer controlled LON/BACKNET Energy Management Controls, such as Schneider Electric, Alerton, Johnson Metasys.
- Servicing DX refrigerant and hydronic chilled/hot water distribution piping systems and components and HVAC units for commercial facilities.
- Repairing/replacing actuators, valves, compressors, controls, etc. in a refrigerant or hydronic piping system or HVAC unit.
- Using safe job practices, including wearing the proper PPE and making the job area safe before proceeding to work.
- Conducting chemical tests on water and determining potential issues and causes of HVAC piping and connected components.
- Maintains cooling towers and sump basins as well as filtration systems.
- Responds to calls for emergency repair service.
- Maintains operating logs and related records.
- Replaces sub-assembly units; inspects safety cut controls.
- Performs other related work as required.
Incumbents are expected to work independently and exercise judgment and initiative. Incumbents should possess ability to lift, carry, push, and pull materials and objects averaging a weight of 50 pounds, or heavier weights, in all cases with the use of proper equipment.
Selected candidate will need to successfully complete a background check.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
1. Education: Completion of certificate program in HVAC from an accredited college or university. Please attach a copy of your certificate of completion to your application.
2. Experience: Three (3) years of increasingly responsible experience in the operation, repair, and maintenance of heating, ventilating, refrigeration, and cooling systems which are common to large buildings.
- Possession of a valid State of California driver’s license.
- Possession of a valid Universal Certification for Chlorofluorocarbon (CFC) Refrigerants from the Environmental Protection Agency. Please attach a copy of your certification/card to your application.
Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent, or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
- Job Expertise - Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices, including knowledge of job safety practices and experience in controls, mechanical, and water treatment; Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations.
- Communication Skills - Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills and displays openness to other people's ideas and thoughts.
- Computer Skills - Experienced with common business computer applications including but not limited to: MS Outlook, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Access, and MS Excel.
- Teamwork & Interpersonal Skills - Develops effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
- Customer Service – Demonstrates the ability to anticipate customers' needs and deliver services effectively and efficiently using professional demeanor.
- Flexibility - Makes effective decisions and achieves desired results in the midst of major changes in responsibilities, work processes, timeframes, performance expectations, organizational culture, or work environment.
- Problem Solving – Approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; determines the significance of problem; collects information; uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome.
- Reliability - Completes quality work assignments in a timely and efficient manner; fulfills responsibilities and maintains confidentiality as appropriate.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application and responses to the Job-Specific Questions. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process. Additional phases of the selection process will consist of one or more interviews, one of which may include a practical/writing exercise.
A first review of applications will be on December 3rd, 2019.
You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions during the online application process. Please note that there is a 4,000-character limit, including spaces, for each text response.
- Please describe your three (3) years of increasingly responsible experience in the operation, repair, and maintenance of heating, ventilating, refrigeration, and cooling systems which are common to large buildings. Please include where you gained the experience, the length of time at each position, and the duties of your role.
- Do you possess a Universal Certification for Chlorofluorocarbon (CFC) Refrigerants from the Environmental Protection Agency? Where did you obtain it and what is the card number? Please attach a copy to this application.
- Please list any safety-related courses you have taken, including any certifications obtained and state which agency/company you took these courses.
- Describe a problem you had to solve at work, as it related to HVAC systems. Include in your response the problem and the steps you took to solve the problem, including the solution.
You must answer all job-specific questions to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration.
If you have questions about the duties of these positions, the selection or hiring processes, please contact Colin Braslin via email at email@example.com.