The San Jose Police Department's Crime Data Intelligence Center is accepting applications for the position of Crime & Intelligence Analyst (CIA). The CIA is an essential Police Department position that is responsible for crime and intelligence analysis. The CIA performs specialized technical support work utilizing automated law enforcement systems, a variety of software, and crime and intelligence analysis techniques to provide a wide range of analytical services and products to police officers and management to use in the identification and apprehension of criminal offenders, the deployment of officers, and the improvement of public safety, as well as for strategic planning.
The purpose of the CIA position is to collect, analyze, interpret, and integrate crime, staffing and deployment, performance, related quantitative and qualitative data, support investigations and related programs. The CIA performs complex statistical and analytical research involving the use of computer applications, random statistical samplings, correlation and regression analysis and probability studies; develops reports and materials; develops links regarding pattern detection, crime and criminals, terrorist and organized crime, social and demographic factors within a communities; analyzing crime spatially and temporally; works with outside agencies to address crime issues; updates and tracks department gang and intelligence files; provides actionable reports to patrol and investigations for the identification, suppression and apprehension of criminals.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Establish and maintain information by devising systems to use information, complying with guidelines, analyzing information and entering information into the computer, designing, creating, maintaining and updating databases, routing information to relevant personnel, preparing and maintaining files, reference materials, researching websites and social media, sharing information with other analysts, preparing flow and link analysis charts and maps, analyzing and preparing reports, and conducting financial investigative research and identifying assets.
Provide training to section personnel by preparing class materials and interviewing and instructing personnel.
Provide information to personnel and other departments by gathering facts on a variety of subjects including wanted individuals, safety issues or other necessary information and attending meetings.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
Education and Experience
A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Criminal Justice or closely related field OR 60 semester units/90 quarter units from an accredited college or university and two (2) years of general analytical experience organizing and analyzing data, including at least one (1) year in a law enforcement agency utilizing multiple police information systems, performing research, and compiling crime data.
Background: Ability to successfully pass a comprehensive background investigation, including a polygraph, is a condition of employment.
Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent, or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
In addition to the Minimum Qualifications, professional experience in a law enforcement agency, legal experience, experience with ESRI ArcGIS, and/or familiarity with SQL and database administration are desirable.
Additional desirable qualifications include:
- Advanced knowledge of R statistics suite or Python to perform advanced statistical analysis of large datasets, including merging disparate data.
- Advanced knowledge of data visualization and ability to develop dashboards in Power BI or Tableau to clearly present analytical results.
- Skill in utilization of geographic information systems to perform complex spatial analysis, and produce clear informative maps representing results.
- Ability to identify, research and gather relevant information from a variety of sources; read and interpret complex written materials; analyze and evaluate data, procedures, interrelated processes and other information; formulate conclusions and/or alternatives and develop effective recommendations.
- Skill to prepare and present written reports, memos, presentations, and detailed statistical reports, including charts, graphs, and exhibits.
- Organizational ability to manage multiple projects, meet deadlines and expectations, and objectively weigh resources and time bandwidth of current and upcoming responsibilities.
- Communication ability to effectively formulate reports and recommendations, provide presentations, and work collaboratively with internal and external partners including law enforcement professionals and decision makers.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
Job Expertise - Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations. Knowledge and experience in quantitative and qualitative data; performing complex statistical and analytical research. Experience using various police information systems, business computer applications, and software/database systems.
Analytical Thinking - Approaching a problem or situation by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach.
Communication Skills - Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills; displays openness to other people’s ideas and thoughts.
Multi-Tasking - Can handle multiple projects and responsibilities simultaneously; has handled a wide variety of assignments in past and/or current position(s).
Computer Skills - Experienced with common business computer applications including but not limited to: MS Outlook, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Access, and MS Excel.
Teamwork & Interpersonal Skills - Develops effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
Technology Use/Management - Uses efficient and cost-effective approaches to integrate technology into the workplace and improve program effectiveness.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application and responses to the Job Specific Questions. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process. Additional phases of the selection process will consist of one or more interviews, one of which may include a practical/writing exercise.
You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions during the online application process. Please note that there is a 4,000-character limit, including spaces, for each text response.
- Please describe your experience in Crime Analysis functions specifying the position(s) you have held, the length of time, and your specific responsibilities.
- Please list the police information systems, business computer applications, and any other software/database systems that you have used. Please specify your proficiency and describe your experience with each.
-If you have Certification in Crime Analysis or Crime Intelligence, please list the type of certification and the issuing agency.
- Please describe your experience working on complex projects and reports. In your response, include the process you applied to complete the project, your specific role, and the outcome.
If you have questions regarding the duties of this position, please contact Frank Carrubba via email at email@example.com.
If you have questions regarding the recruitment, selections, or hiring processes, please contact Rose Lara via email at firstname.lastname@example.org